Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 34
Page 34 of 528 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Stray Dog Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

It was sort of satirical actually xD but Gainax actually did it on purpose, for some reason after the...change, Evangelion caused Gainax did everything they could to create some thing that was opposed to it, they eventually ended up with FLCL. Gurren Lagann is slightly different, if Evangelion is a deconstruction of Mecha anime then Gurren Lagann is a deconstruction or rather destruction of Evangelion it doesn't just oppose Evangelion it mocks it.

I don't feel such strong ties between those two; they're intrinsically different in that Gurren Lagann is for the most part upbeat and happy, much more in tradition with the happy shonen type of shows - even after it timeskips. Evangelion, on the other hand, is through-and-through depressing to watch; it's much more about the mental issues of the characters; Lagann is more about powering up even further. It's generic shonen, and that leaves it with very little, satirical or no, to connect it with Evangelion.

I don't feel that it is satirical either; it's just general comedy. The comment about cheesy dialog (especially the one-liners that Kamina spouts out without a speck of shame) was more about just that; most mecha have these deep, vague and often nonsensical lines that are said with absolute seriousity, but in TTGR it's just done to the ridicolous; but so is the rest of the show. Fighintg using galaxies as throwing disks? Fuck logic and physics... but, again, no satire.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

That's the point xD Evengelion is depressing but Gurren Lagann has the teaching that you shouldn't give up and should always keep trying to grow and better yourself. It also became the first anime to completely screw physics but that was just awesome on my book xD though I'm not very picky when it comes to anime anyone that knows me knows that I fall for the basic shonen plot because...well it's mostly what I grew up with when I was a kid and watched anime on TV the only thing we got were shonen shows.

The final battle against the Anti Spiral is very interesting actually. The antispiral are a species that gave up their individuality and trapped themselves inside a one being to stop their own despair and so that they would be capable of living in their own happiness while also avoiding the destruction of the universe by evolving. So essentially they went through instrumentality; it's the same sequence really, everyone becomes a single being and are trapped into their own minds until they realize their true selves.

But anyway, we should go back to talking about writing shouldn't we xD?

So...my mind's been overflowing with ideas lately, I've got three new ideas one that I've already put up here and two more.

Blog Entries

There's some very illuminating discussion going on in the Block. Keep it up, guys. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts.

@Stellar Haze; each to their own ;) And yes, they are an interesitng race.
    @Kodizzle; yeah, I really enjoy the threads that are going on, as well as the discussion here in the Chat thread. I most certainly do not regret signing up a month ago P:

Blog Entries

Bulbagarden's always been good for aspiring writers, but I think this discussion is really beneficial, and it's exciting to see a new generation of writers arriving.

New generation, of course, referring to the ages of our accounts. I'm sure a few of you guys are older than me by a few years.

Heh, I'm later into the writing scene than most people. While I've had plot bunnies for some time, I only decided I wanted to go for writing last year, at age 19. Aside well-graded essays and texts at schol, I've never really written anything before P:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    Heh, I'm later into the writing scene than most people. While I've had plot bunnies for some time, I only decided I wanted to go for writing last year, at age 19. Aside well-graded essays and texts at schol, I've never really written anything before P:
    I started when I was about thirteen. Haven't really looked back since, but there've been times when it just doesn't come so easily.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Only a year...damn, it's taken me 4 years to get to where I am and I'm still not too good.

I'm a fast learner and a natural talent at having talents ;P Besides, when I first want to do something, I'm determined to be good at it. hard work is more important than talent, I've learned that the hard way (but talent+hard work is the best, no doubt).

commie bastard. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

i really got into it when i was eleven, but i've been writing since the third grade.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Sweet mother of Arceus, I go to school and this happens. Er, anyway.

RE: Anime. Bakugan, I loved the first season. New Vestroia is running on CN right now, and quite frankly, it's shit. I'm sorry, but it's just not as real as the first season. And since when was Shun such good buddies with Dan? I remember that being one of the most awesome bits of the show.

In general, though, my favourite anime include Evangelion, FMA, The World God Only Knows, Solty Rei, Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple and Star Driver. Most of those cross over with the manga as well, because before I got a broadband update, I wasn't able to watch as much anime and had to make do with reading the manga. Anyway.

Also, I'm tired of seeing people ripping on Digimon and calling it a Pokemon ripoff, arguing about release dates and all. -_- Does it matter? They were both likely in development long enough that they weren't based off the other, regardless of which actually happened first.

RE: Writing again. I'm seventeen now, and I've been writing now for about six years, I guess? Back in primary school, the teachers couldn't get me to write, no matter how hard they tried. These days, they can't stop me. I think it was only a couple of years ago that I discovered I was any good at it, though (and I'm still not entirely sure that I am).
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

I started wanting to write when I was ten, if I recall correctly, but it was more of a general obsession with books. There were one or two laughably terrible attempts at fanfiction and then I gave it up for a while. When I ws twelve, I seriously became interested in fanfiction and began publishing a very, very bad pokémorph fic - that spewed superpowered angsting Mary Sues - on fanfiction.net. I acually completed it, and it reached over a hundred thousand words. I tried coauthoring another fic about falling into the pokémon world - a deconstruction in which everything is made of binary - that was actually promising, but failed. I was fifteen by then.

Schoolwork kept me from writing very much at all for another three years, and now, I'm starting entirely afresh. It's pretty wonderful. Writing unfetters my soul.

Later this year, providing I don't fail my exams spectacularly, I will be taking a writing couse lasting three years at a fantastic university. At the end of it, I will have published my first original novel.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

It's always weird for me to see people say they "started writing" at so-and-so age.

I started writing before I could write... my grandmother used to take down what I wanted the story to be, and then I'd draw pictures for it. I still have the books from then. Technically, it was fanfiction too, since it was about Disney characters. One of my stories still has the best opening line of all time... "Mickey is sad because he is dead."

I first started writing Pokemon fanfiction around 3 years ago.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

If it was the 2008 Christmas contest, Gama, then we started writing Pokemon fanfiction at exactly the same time. :P
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own