Page 322 of 399 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324332372 ... LastLast
Results 4,816 to 4,830 of 5984
Like Tree760Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

I am sorry @Flame1819, but I am just not convinced, and that new idea actually adds a whole new complicated layer to it - you should not be spending your own money on art commissions, and having extra competitions within this will only go badly. Like Elysia has said, real life will simply get in the way, and as there have actually only been three people that have shown significant interest in this, it is likely to not go very successfully. The other materials on offer can be used and should be used for things like this (Soulmaster suggested using the Weekly Prompt and then doing the Review Game to get feedback on it). You can still post it if you wish, but it will not be stickied/receive full backing from the moderators.

I am also rather disappointed by the sound of Sea of Monsters. I will be honest, I did kind of enjoy the first movie, largely as I saw it before I read the book so I was not phased by it being a smooth adaptation. I think the movie adaptations will be severely stuffed up by the failings of the first movie and it will probably be difficult to recover from those plot-wise.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

For what it's worth, I'm also active on a music production forum where users often hold competitions themselves with prizes payed out of their pockets. I'm not saying something like that has to happen here, but it is a viable model. Also, I actually really like the idea of art commissions as prizes. Assuming we found an artist willing to provide them, that would solve one of the issues we had with the quiz.

On the subject of activity, I've been meaning to say something for a while. It seems to me like a lot of people (not necessarily directing this at anyone in particular) don't realize the difference between the users of the Fiction Fairgrounds and the active users of the Written Word. Yes, there are lots of authors in the Fairgrounds, new ones every day. I'd even argue it's among the most active places on Bulba. There are an uncountable number of people who have some kind of story in the Fairgrounds, BUT there are only around 20 people (give or take, mostly take, since activity comes and goes) that I can name who actually participate in the community. And by participate in the community, I mean reciprocate reviews (or just generally review others' work), join in discussions, and hang out with us here in the General Chat. What Ace pointed out is common: at any one time/topic, you can only really expect three or so people to participate in something. It's a shame, since I think we're the friendliest and most tight-knit community on the forum. If even half of the people who posted fics in the Fairgrounds hung out with us here and participated in the community, we'd be tremendously active and all sorts of things would be possible. The quality of people's writing would improve vastly thanks to the sharing of knowledge, and more new events and competitions would be viable. The sheer number of users would outweigh real life obligations of a few big names. Unfortunately, that's not the way it is, and it's just about impossible to tempt activity out of people who only come here to post their next chapter and don't give a damn about the rest of it.

I have no idea what kind of point I was trying to get across when I started writing that, but whatever.

tl;dr activity is an issue, I guess :P /endrant
    AceTrainer14 and MuddyMudkip like this.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I agree with AetherX, mostly cause I'm in an iPod and don't really want to write a long post xd

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I did bring up the idea of getting character art done as a prize for Best Character in the Awards, and I will still be looking into that. I guess if people are really willing to pay money they can, but I personally won't be as I don't have any money to spare for these types of things, so I wouldn't feel terribly comfortable as section head letting other people do it.

It is a common problem across any type of forum, though it is a bit disappointing to see that so few of our things that would greatly aid people get ignored. We can only keep on trying our best and hoping that people get more interested and more invested. I am sure some day we will keep on getting new members who actively want to take part, and we can just grow from there :)

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Hey, AT, actually, that character art prize sounds like an even better idea for the quiz. :D

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I feel that crafting an excellent character would be more deserving of a good prize than doing a quiz, and the quiz is open to people who do not have stories either, so it would be difficult to give them a prize they couldn't work with :P

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Oh yeah, good point. I forgot about that. xP

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What about custom sprites then? I know for a fact we got some talented forum members over at the art gallery and they shouldn't be as difficult to make as art can be.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Well, it's true that most of us here in the Written Word are generally on pretty good terms with each other, but maybe that's working against us? I mean, I know it's pretty intimidating to try and include yourself in an established community. I do see guests and other users in here from time to time, so it's not like nobody else ever comes in here.

On a related note, I am still working on transposing this month's lesson from my outline, I promise. Ryuu and Octy and I have just been super busy with the Facebook lately since videos and news have been coming out left and right, and this is a long lesson. I'm doing my best to make it interesting and not such a huge wall of text, too.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

I think part of it is that we're old. :P

Most of us are in college/uni these days. We don't seem to have much of a high school-age following anymore, and those seemed to drive activity up, since they generally have more free time to write (and aren't yet pressuring themselves to move on from fan fiction to original writing like I have been).

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I am only just at university, I would like to think I am still hip and with it all :P

I look forward to it @Feliciano! And @MegaLugion, I am kind of doing the same thing! I have planned so much for the GalacticVerse, yet there are so many original stories I want to write that I am not sure what to do :/

I can represent the awkwardly hip, young high-schoolers if you'd like. XD

although, yeah, I've been enjoying original fiction more as of late. Then again, I can't just summon arcanine to torch the place in original fiction, so hey

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

Go high schoolers! >:u

I have an idea for an original story, but I've vowed not to start it until PF is finished. But by then, I probably *will* be in college.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

College didn't work out for me, unfortunately. I just think I took the wrong classes though. But now, I have a job. A lowly one because I'm still an entry level employee, but at least I'm making some money.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

As far as activity goes, I was talking less about our individual activity and more about how a lot of people don't participate. It can be hard to work up the courage to join an established community, no matter how nice we are.

Anyway, in case you all thought you had bad luck, wait until you hear what happened to me today. A couple weeks ago, I dented the bumper on my Mom's old car (we're selling it once I go back to school, it's basically just mine while I'm home for the summer). It's been in the shop all week, so today my Dad and I went to go pick it up. On the way home, not two minutes after leaving the shop, I was taking a left turn (protected, there was definitely a green arrow) and some lady blows through a red light and T-bones me.

NOT EVEN TWO MINUTES

So yeah, that's my story for today.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud