Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 27

Page 27 of 399 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Misheard Whisper View Post
    How much your story focuses on the love interest depends entirely on how much the character focuses on their love interest. And this, of course, will depend on what kind of person your character is and how badly they've fallen. Sometimes a character will actually divert the plot to go chasing the girl; sometimes they'll carry on with the main storyline, but angst miserably about how she'll never know they exist; sometimes they'll just view it as something to come back to after they're done saving the world or whatever. So basically, think about how your character should react, and then you can devote a certain portion of the story to that.
    Once again you take the thoughts out of my head and explain them better than I ever could XP

-puts on tin foil cone just in case-

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosj2 View Post

Once again you take the thoughts out of my head and explain them better than I ever could XP

-puts on tin foil cone just in case-
    You know I have magical mod powers, right? Don't tell anybody I said this, but the ability to read users' minds in our section is one of them.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

I generally tend to have several interactions between the lover and the main character before they get into a legitimate relationship, and that is kind of like a "Sub-line" if you will to the general plot. I explre it as much as I can, and in stories like my secret project where it plays a notable role, I try to make the best of it.

A problem I have is using words other than "said" when characters talk.

ex. "This is a sentence." said Red.

And so on. I've gotten better over the years as I keep writing, using different words instead of "said", inverting the sentences, bringing in expressions and reactions (biting your lip, yelling, wrinkling your nose, etc), and so on and so forth to liven it up. So it's not a problem for me anymore, I took care of it and now everything's fine.

But sometimes, I'll be in a pinch because I won't have any idea for what words to use, and I'll sit there and ponder over what to do. Anybody else have/used to have this problem? Any tips you can give?

(Oh, btw, it's me Prodigy. Just change my username)

Misheard, where do I sign up? P:

Anywho, when it comes to love interests: it depends on the story, and the characters, but if there's a resolution it mostly comes midway. One story I planned once had a one-sided love, which eventually blossomed (or so the main girl thought), but it ended in betrayal by the guy, and the rest of the story she focused on getting over this, which eventually lead to her finding a new love interest. Cue return of betrayal guy, some chapters of drama to resolve that (ending in her giving up betrayal guy despite his coercive attempts to win her over).

Another story again, had two of the main characters having a reciprocal relationship from the very beginning, lasting through the end with no noticeable drama as far as their relationship went (the focus was on other aspects of their characters, how they reacted to the events they were thrown into, without the "put our love to the test" ordeal).

Another character in this story had a one-sided love that never got resolved (with hints to the end that he was giving up, seeing as she prioritized other things than love anyway).

And so on. There's a thousand ways, all depending on what the characters go through, who they are, what kind of story it is and where its focuses lie, and some random factors as well.

Red: What you can do, if you have troubles finding good words, is to use a thesaurus. Alternatively, try writing something else. Poetry, for example, to get a break. Try to find inspiration through relaxation/meditation (always works for me when having writer's block and word clogging). This goes both for simple things like "said"-kind of words amnd more complex things (like a sentence or paragraph that just won't sit right!

Blog Entries

@Red That's quite a misconception, actually. 'Said' is a word that's actually glazed over by readers, much like 'the' and 'a'. It seems glaring to you as a writer because you keep typing 'said', but readers actually pay it no attention. They're more likely to take notice if you insist on using words like muttered, spat, growled, moaned, grunted, hissed, ejaculated, roared, challenged and so on. It's really better just to use 'said' most of the time, because it's not nearly as intrusive as you think it is.

As a side note, I cannot believe there wasn't already a user named Red.

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare

Oh, ok. I see what your saying. Thanks Misheard Whisper for clearing things up.

Actually, there was a user named Red, but Ghost changed my name to Red because the other one hadn't logged in to BMGF in like 9 years.

You lucky sonnuva... :P

Oh, well, I'm quite happy with mine. Speaking of usernames, guys, why did you choose your particular user name?

Blog Entries

The one word I always loved was Chaos, since the way you spell it is not how you'd expect based on its pronunciation, and I always felt it suited me and my disorganized......everything. I then added what everyone already called me 'J' and saw it was taken so got lazy and added a 2

Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

lady lucifer is kind of a pun off of my religion. i'm a laveyan satanist, and i'm female, so that's where the lady came from. :P plus, i was just thinking of new names to use one day and "lady lucifer" just decided to pop in. i mean, it's kind of catchy and is easy to remember so that's why i choose it. i had a ton of other usernames before this, shiny ninetales being the most common. but, since i've lost interest in pokemon, i changed it.

I chose my username based on a variety of reasons, the first being that llamas are freaking awesome creatures (I want a llama pokemon...), the second is that they are featured as a running gag in the SimCity video game series, which I absolutely adore. Guy is quite obviously because it's a guy. I've considered using a different name every now and then, but I always find it to stick extremely well with me; I actually hit the nail with my first user name ever, so everywhere I am, I'm called Llama_Guy. Or LlamaGuy if the site doesn't allow underscores. On youtube/google it was already taken (shock and awe! I'm not unique!), so I made it LlamaGuy42 - anyone who's read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy will understand why I chose the number 42... (if not, just google it. It's quite awesome).

@Lady Lucifer: Laveyan Satanism? That's quite interesting. Forgive me my curiosity, but what drew you to believe in it?

Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

well, i read a couple articles about it online. before i discovered it, i considered myself agnostic, but when i started reading about it, it made a lot more sense than any other religion i had explored, and i agreed in a lot of the morals it described. i think it's a pretty cool religion and i am glad to be following it.

Blog Entries

Misheard Whisper has no real meaning behind it. It's unique, memorable and sounds kind of mysterious. That's about the extent of the symbolism there. I like it, and I use it everywhere except Serebii (which doesn't allow username changes, so I'm Dragon user X). I don't like tacking numbers on the end, because it feels messy and means that your username isn't exactly unique. Though I know some people have numbers that mean something to them, so that can be kind of okay. this is why i hate pottermore

Wow, is this off-topic or what?

Anyways, my name is based off of the trainer from Pokémon (shocker!). I became quite a Red fanboy after the release of HG/SS, I fell in love with the revamped music and the mysteriousness of Red as I read creepypastas about him and saw pictures on deviantART and so on. I tried multiple times before to change my username to Red, but like mentioned above in my previous post I couldn't until Ghost did for me.
    Last edited by Pride; 21st April 2012 at 08:41 PM.

@Lady Lucifer: Very interesting. I am myself an agnostic deist (i.e. I believe in the presence of some sort of divine presence (deism), but I reject the fact that it can be known for sure whether or not such an entity exists (agnosticism)), a belief I also got through online reading. I always had my beliefs, that is, but I never knew whether or not they could be categorized as a concept (which they could, namely, deism)

Did you have the same "beliefs" before reading about it, or did reading about it influence what you believed to be true?

@Red: What was the reason behind your previous username then?
    (and this is essentially an off-topic thread, there's no thing in here that's considered "off topic" P: {I would assume})