Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 253
Page 253 of 476 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263303353 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,795 of 7139

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AiedailEclipsed View Post
    Hit the nail on the proverbial head. xD And AFF isn't all sex and stuff. It was created in response to FF.net's ban on MA stories (which admittedly only include explicit sex and extreme violence, iirc)... But I'm pretty sure they allow for other stuff as well. I also agree with the story quality thing (and the size comment, haha).
    Wait, ff.net banned MA stories and explicit sex? But 90% of the site was made up of lemons, and not all MA stories are sex and violence! How did they not lose their entire database of fics?
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Got the invitation from AO3, and got why it is called AO3. I registered and published the Prologue & §1 of "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!". I'll see how that fares there.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    Not your fault, really. The USA uses that format; like the inches/centimetres thing.
    The USA is very unique in all the stuff you do use compared to the rest of the world :p Why does your take on the English despise the letter 'U'! It's the first letter of your country yet you take it out of a lot of words :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    Oh, I see. Well, I still would rather not have to filter through such mature content.

And FF.net lets you filter fandoms, languages, characters, ratings, and a bunch of other stuff too. It also can filter genres, status, and word count.
    You can even filter things down to the number of reviews a story has. Seems like it could lead to only popular fics getting attention now, but not entirely sure...

Got the invitation from AO3, and got why it is called AO3. I registered and published the Prologue & §1 of "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!". I'll see how that fares there.
    How do you get invited there?

Also, thanks to all of those people who contributed the list of threads and explanations for greeting new people! You have inspired an idea in me, so be on the lookout ;) And welcome to all the new folks!

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

You sign up for AO3, then they send you a notification for when your request to be invited will get through the queue.

A few weeks to a few months later, you get your invite.

Blog Entries

Eh, it sounds cool, but I think I'll stick to here and ff.net. I've got original work I really should be working on, I don't want to distract myself too much.

Well, for its first 24 hours up, the first chapter of Heart of Crystal's got 10 views by 10 different people. No reviews, though - not sure what to make of that. I'll give it another day or so before I revise and put up chapter 2 - I don't want to catch up too quickly, though chapter 11 is coming along much more quickly than chapter 10.

"He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
    Eh, it sounds cool, but I think I'll stick to here and ff.net. I've got original work I really should be working on, I don't want to distract myself too much.

Well, for its first 24 hours up, the first chapter of Heart of Crystal's got 10 views by 10 different people. No reviews, though - not sure what to make of that. I'll give it another day or so before I revise and put up chapter 2 - I don't want to catch up too quickly, though chapter 11 is coming along much more quickly than chapter 10.
    Is this on ff.net? It usually takes a while for loyal readers to gather, but when they do, they will end up reviewing every chapter - trust me ;)

Speaking of original fics and FF.net, does anyone have a FictionPress account, and if so, they do use it regularly/get viewed regularly?

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    Not your fault, really. The USA uses that format; like the inches/centimetres thing.
    The USA is very unique in all the stuff you do use compared to the rest of the world :p Why does your take on the English despise the letter 'U'! It's the first letter of your country yet you take it out of a lot of words :P
    I'm not from the USA. O.o

I was saying that the mm/dd/yyyy format is used in the USA, while I use the dd/mm/yyyy format. I'm from Bahrain, for the record.

Also, thanks to all of those people who contributed the list of threads and explanations for greeting new people! You have inspired an idea in me, so be on the lookout ;) And welcome to all the new folks!
    If it's a grand guide of the rules, notable threads, and other things, I suggest you do it as if it were a tour pamphlet. I wanted to write that in this thread, but I was feeling too sleepy, and it slipped my mind, until now.

Blog Entries

Is this on ff.net? It usually takes a while for loyal readers to gather, but when they do, they will end up reviewing every chapter - trust me ;)

Speaking of original fics and FF.net, does anyone have a FictionPress account, and if so, they do use it regularly/get viewed regularly?
    Yeah, it's ff.net. I made some revisions to the first chapter (which I might put up here at some point, but I dunno) and put it up last night. It just seems a little odd to me that a decent number of people looked at it, but the only alert I got today was that someone favorited the crappy palletshipping holiday fic that I had.

Nope, I don't have an account on fictionpress. Is it any good?

Blog Entries

I'm not from the USA. O.o

I was saying that the mm/dd/yyyy format is used in the USA, while I use the dd/mm/yyyy format. I'm from Bahrain, for the record.

If it's a grand guide of the rules, notable threads, and other things, I suggest you do it as if it were a tour pamphlet. I wanted to write that in this thread, but I was feeling too sleepy, and it slipped my mind, until now.
    Sorry, my mistake! I seem to have jumped in halfway through the conversation, and I can actually remember us having a VM discussion about you being from Bahrain years ago :P And it may be something like that...

Yeah, it's ff.net. I made some revisions to the first chapter (which I might put up here at some point, but I dunno) and put it up last night. It just seems a little odd to me that a decent number of people looked at it, but the only alert I got today was that someone favorited the crappy palletshipping holiday fic that I had.

Nope, I don't have an account on fictionpress. Is it any good?
    My latest chapter of 8ES got abotu 200 views in the first day a week ago and the chapter didn't get a review until today. And crappy shipping fics are generally more read than well written epics - throwing shipping into the description and your guaranteed a thousand views a month :P

I have a FP account, but my story that has been up for a year is only near 100 views now. I was wondering if this was a normal situation

Blog Entries

My latest chapter of 8ES got abotu 200 views in the first day a week ago and the chapter didn't get a review until today. And crappy shipping fics are generally more read than well written epics - throwing shipping into the description and your guaranteed a thousand views a month :P

I have a FP account, but my story that has been up for a year is only near 100 views now. I was wondering if this was a normal situation
    Hm, maybe I should imply that I plan on getting Kris together with Silver at some point...

EDIT: Oh hey, lookie here.

"Really good chapter, I dont like the fact thatvif a pokemon faints its dead but its ur choice. I wonder why Kris can understand Pokemon kinda strange, im going to like that this story takes place in johto considering I barely played gold/silver. U just earned a honest fan, congrats!"

I guess nuzlockes aren't as well known as I thought? I mean, I say in the summary it's a nuzlocke run, so if you don't like that pokémon die...don't read a nuzlocke? Still, huzzah, someone liked it.
    Last edited by Feliciano; 7th April 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Hit the nail on the proverbial head. xD And AFF isn't all sex and stuff. It was created in response to FF.net's ban on MA stories (which admittedly only include explicit sex and extreme violence, iirc)... But I'm pretty sure they allow for other stuff as well. I also agree with the story quality thing (and the size comment, haha).
    Wait, ff.net banned MA stories and explicit sex? But 90% of the site was made up of lemons, and not all MA stories are sex and violence! How did they not lose their entire database of fics?
    Theoretically, those stories could be deleted and the accounts that posted them could be banned at any second without warning. This happened to a friend who was writing a HP story that had some explicit scenes. She was like fifty or so chapters into the story, woke up one morning to the story gone, like it had never even been on the site (and this was a good quality story mind you, not just sex every chapter). Apparently, the admins aren't really proactive in deleting the stories but will do so if they're reported. Long story short, some idiot decided to be an ass and had reported the story. She had to go back and write out all the explicit/violent scenes and posted the full version on AO3/AFF.

And to elaborate, while you need an account to post stories, you can still do everything else without one (review, leave kudos [essentially "liking" a story/chapter], read).

EDIT: If you have a FF.net account, its linked to FP. Just login using the option at FP. :p
    Last edited by AiedailEclipsed; 7th April 2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Currently looking for help with a web project. If interested in more details, please feel free to PM me!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Theoretically, those stories could be deleted and the accounts that posted them could be banned at any second without warning. This happened to a friend who was writing a HP story that had some explicit scenes. She was like fifty or so chapters into the story, woke up one morning to the story gone, like it had never even been on the site (and this was a good quality story mind you, not just sex every chapter). Apparently, the admins aren't really proactive in deleting the stories but will do so if they're reported. Long story short, some idiot decided to be an ass and had reported the story. She had to go back and write out all the explicit/violent scenes and posted the full version on AO3/AFF.
    That sucks, but didn't she have the chapters saved as Word documents or something? I always have my stuff saved to my computer in case something happens to the version I've put on the net. She wouldn't have to rewrite anything if she saved her work in a word processing program like MS Word.

EDIT: If you have a FF.net account, its linked to FP. Just login using the option at FP. :p
    This is true too. lol

Blog Entries

Hm, maybe I should imply that I plan on getting Kris together with Silver at some point...

"Really good chapter, I dont like the fact thatvif a pokemon faints its dead but its ur choice. I wonder why Kris can understand Pokemon kinda strange, im going to like that this story takes place in johto considering I barely played gold/silver. U just earned a honest fan, congrats!"

I guess nuzlockes aren't as well known as I thought? I mean, I say in the summary it's a nuzlocke run, so if you don't like that pokémon die...don't read a nuzlocke? Still, huzzah, someone liked it.
    Eh, don't make it to sound like a shipping fic to try and get more views: most people know that shipping fics are more popular than other types, so it would look a bit foolish if it isn't all love dubby stuff. But congrats on your first review! Based from their grammar, they don't strike me as the sort of person that would have heard or understands nuzlockes, but that is typical of FF.net: I once had someone that I literally had to ask to stop reviewing my work because he only posted really detailed spoilers and offered basically no feedback. Still, I remember my first review on there, and it is a great feeling :D

Blog Entries

Eh, don't make it to sound like a shipping fic to try and get more views: most people know that shipping fics are more popular than other types, so it would look a bit foolish if it isn't all love dubby stuff. But congrats on your first review! Based from their grammar, they don't strike me as the sort of person that would have heard or understands nuzlockes, but that is typical of FF.net: I once had someone that I literally had to ask to stop reviewing my work because he only posted really detailed spoilers and offered basically no feedback. Still, I remember my first review on there, and it is a great feeling :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    That sucks, but didn't she have the chapters saved as Word documents or something? I always have my stuff saved to my computer in case something happens to the version I've put on the net. She wouldn't have to rewrite anything if she saved her work in a word processing program like MS Word.
    Oh, yeah, I'm sure she did. I mean, she had copies of mostly everything I think, its just she had to go through and rewrite some scenes entirely and omit all the "bad" scenes out to repost it to FF.net and then she had to start posting the full versions to AFF/AO3. Another big thing was that she had like some 8,000 reviews, a huge amount of story followers, etc. It just takes a lot to build up that kind of following in the first place, and then she had to rebuild it. It was just kinda disheartening, I guess.
    Currently looking for help with a web project. If interested in more details, please feel free to PM me!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2