Page 252 of 399 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302352 ... LastLast
Results 3,766 to 3,780 of 5977
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AiedailEclipsed View Post
    And that date format is like a standard scientific/international version, I think. Or maybe computing. Eh, whatever. It's yyyy/mm/dd. So, tomorrow. Basically. You're lucky. I waited like a month or so. There was like a 25k list when I got on. xD
    I see, but the most used format is dd/mm/yyyy, not the reverse of it. At least, that's the format I used growing up.

Blog Entries
    Follow AiedailEclipsed On Twitter Add AiedailEclipsed on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    And that date format is like a standard scientific/international version, I think. Or maybe computing. Eh, whatever. It's yyyy/mm/dd. So, tomorrow. Basically. You're lucky. I waited like a month or so. There was like a 25k list when I got on. xD
    I see, but the most used format is dd/mm/yyyy, not the reverse of it. At least, that's the format I used growing up.
    Oops. I lied. That is the one I was talking about. I'm not sure what they're smoking but I've never seen that format. :/ I used mm/dd/yyyy growing up. I'm just used to seeing weird date formatting by now I guess.
    "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

Blog Entries

Oops. I lied. That is the one I was talking about. I'm not sure what they're smoking but I've never seen that format. :/ I used mm/dd/yyyy growing up. I'm just used to seeing weird date formatting by now I guess.
    Not your fault, really. The USA uses that format; like the inches/centimetres thing.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I've never heard of AO3 or AFF either. What's AFF? o.O

I also never had any issue with the way ff.net handles categorizing and searches. I've always been able to find my profile easily, in fact. I set it to author, type in EmblemQueen, hit search, and voila.

EDIT: On the topic of date formats, I grew up with mm/dd/yy as well since I'm from the US. But I don't see how it's weird at all. It's perfectly reasonable and makes more sense than other formats, imo. It perfectly coincides with how people say dates when speaking. "April 6th, 2013"/"4/6/13"

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

ArchiveOfOurOwn is a much smaller, invite-only site that is also a fanfiction archive; it was created by the Organization for Transformative Works. The general quality of fic there is a lot higher than you'd find on most of FF.net though.

AFF is AdultFanFiction.net, which...is for pretty much what you think it is, given that name.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    I've never heard of AO3 or AFF either. What's AFF? o.O

I also never had any issue with the way ff.net handles categorizing and searches. I've always been able to find my profile easily, in fact. I set it to author, type in EmblemQueen, hit search, and voila.

EDIT: On the topic of date formats, I grew up with mm/dd/yy as well since I'm from the US. But I don't see how it's weird at all. It's perfectly reasonable and makes more sense than other formats, imo. It perfectly coincides with how people say dates when speaking. "April 6th, 2013"/"4/6/13"
    If I'm mentioning dates in English, I would say "The 6th of April, 2013". It comes down to nurture in the end.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Why are we talking about date formats? xD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flaze View Post
    Why are we talking about date formats? xD
    Because it's such an interesting subject that opens doors for discussions regarding culture, nature VS. nurture, and languages. That is what this thread is ultimately about; deep, meaningful discussions that leaves us tilting our heads, pouting our lips, and saying "Hmm".

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by juiceboxxx View Post
    ArchiveOfOurOwn is a much smaller, invite-only site that is also a fanfiction archive; it was created by the Organization for Transformative Works. The general quality of fic there is a lot higher than you'd find on most of FF.net though.

AFF is AdultFanFiction.net, which...is for pretty much what you think it is, given that name.
    Ah, I see. And I think I'll stay away from AFF then. I'm not interested in that stuff. My Fire Emblem fic does have a mature rating, but it isn't THAT mature. xP

@Kyuuketsuki;: Oh, I've never heard dates spoken that way. I really did not learn much about other countries. Except maybe Germany since I lived there for seven years...

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Well the way we do dates over here is simply d/m/y so I don't see how that could be so complex or why it would matter in the end xD

Blog Entries

@Kyuuketsuki;: Oh, I've never heard dates spoken that way. I really did not learn much about other countries. Except maybe Germany since I lived there for seven years...
    Maybe it's just me, but "April 6th" sounds like "April VI", too much like a member of some royalty whose parents were too lazy to think of a new name. Of course, April is a royal and great month, since my birthday is in April, so it is obviously a month to be reckoned with.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but "April 6th" sounds like "April VI", too much like a member of some royalty whose parents were too lazy to think of a new name. Of course, April is a royal and great month, since my birthday is in April, so it is obviously a month to be reckoned with.
    Well, people say it like "April sixth" not "April the sixth" lol, so I never thought of it this way. xP

Blog Entries

Hit the nail on the proverbial head. xD And AFF isn't all sex and stuff. It was created in response to FF.net's ban on MA stories (which admittedly only include explicit sex and extreme violence, iirc)... But I'm pretty sure they allow for other stuff as well. I also agree with the story quality thing (and the size comment, haha).

Also, Kelleo, if you used AO3's method you'd probably cry for having to go back to FF.net's. For example, you can filter out certain fandoms, you can then filter out certain types of relationships, filter through relationships themselves (xxx/yyy), special tags (you want it, they got it), languages, ratings, various warnings (for certain material), and characters. In short, you can filter it down to exactly what you want. I've found that half the time on FF.net you can't actually find what you're looking for even if you search for it. Of course, if you're looking for something simple like a story title or author, yeah. But looking for specific content? Good luck if they didn't include it in the summary.
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Oh, I see. Well, I still would rather not have to filter through such mature content.

And FF.net lets you filter fandoms, languages, characters, ratings, and a bunch of other stuff too. It also can filter genres, status, and word count.

Blog Entries

Oh, I see. Well, I still would rather not have to filter through such mature content.

And FF.net lets you filter fandoms, languages, characters, ratings, and a bunch of other stuff too. It also can filter genres, status, and word count.
    Yeah, I understand that. Either way, AFF's navigation... Eh. I guess it works for what it does, but its pretty limited.

And yeah, but its been my experience that half the time people don't know what they're doing when they label their stories so you get the wrong stuff. I guess AO3 just explains it better or something. Either way, I'd encourage you to take a look. Its a nice place and is still growing. :)