Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 239

Page 239 of 400 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241249289339 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 5994
Like Tree760Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

What's worse is if you get royally stuck and the fic languishes and dies due to writer's block
    harryheart likes this.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

Even worse: I'm trying to finish this before XY comes out, or at least somewhat after. But if I can't get momentum, that might not work out as planned.

The plot is also weird because it's technically slice of life but there is sort of an overarching plot, it's just not journeyfic. But the hardest part about Original Trainer stuff is that you have to make the characters people a reader would care about, since there's so much potential for them to end up like clones of more poorly-written OT fic or Mary-Sues.

I'm also working on a little parody thing that's just slice of life stuff of the Unova Elite Four during the two years between BW and BW2, and figuring out how to make everyone's characterization funny without making everyone too simplistic or deviating too much from canon. So far, it just amounted to "all the Elites except Grimsley have their own anti-Grimsley escape procedures".

Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry about rushing your story before the release of a game. My own story was supposed to be based on Gen 4 mechanics and Pokemon, with a special cameo appearance from a Gen 5 Pokemon.

Gen 5 has come and gone, Gen 6 is right around the corner, and I'm still on chapter 2. But I don't worry too much. When I get back to it, the story is what's important, not the pokemon or characters present. (well, they are, but I don't need to change everything just cause a new generation launched)
    harryheart likes this.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What Caitlin said is true, you shouldn't worry about finishing the fic before Gen 6 comes (My own fic is based on Gen 3 Kanto, and I'm not that concerned that I'm 2 Gens behind).
    harryheart and Bubble Frog like this.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Aha, that's right, although I do prefer giving myself a sort of deadline to motivate myself. Also because I might be so wrapped up in XY that I won't have any free time to write.

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

Yea I agree with what has been said. My fic was based around the tinge the 4th gen came out and now we're right around the corner from gen 6. Deadlines are good but tsometimes they can be a hindrance as well... They can cause us to rush or make changes to or story just to keep to a time limit and that can be more detrimental.
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

Any takers for the review game?
    Reviewing only 1 chapter for The Girl Who Knows the Heart of Dragons will let you in on the game. It is a great fic and reading it should be enjoyable. And I would sound cheesier but I'm mobile.
    Last edited by Soulmaster; 19th March 2013 at 08:37 PM.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I tried reading it once, but I simply could not get into it. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I felt like there was absolutely no pacing. Stuff just...happened. Maybe I should've put that in a review, or maybe I should give it another shot, but...yeah. Didn't end up being my thing.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
    Any takers for the review game?
    Reviewing only 1 chapter for The Girl Who Knows the Heart of Dragons will let you in on the game. It is a great fic and reading it should be enjoyable. And I would sound cheesier but I'm mobile.
    I could link to my review and say it's for the game, since it happened after that post requesting a review, and there's nothing in the rules that says I can't do that. *shifty eyes*

Loopholes are so much fun. But anyway, I won't post in that thread, since that seems unfair for Gotpika.

Blog Entries

@adiosToreador; You probably should put that in a review, it could be helpful to the writer.

But yeah, that story wasn't my thing, either, even though it sounded promising at first. Basically if I don't like a story after the first few paragraphs I don't even bother reading the rest because I know I won't like it, or be able to force my way through the beginning until it begins to improve, and that happened in that particular case.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Okay, almost done with my prologue, I just need to work on some kinks.

Got a report and a test tomorrow, though, so it'll have to wait awhile.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

@NoirGrimoir; Yeah, I figured. Maybe later on tonight I'll see if I can't get through it and leave a review to put up for the game.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    I could link to my review and say it's for the game, since it happened after that post requesting a review, and there's nothing in the rules that says I can't do that. *shifty eyes*

Loopholes are so much fun. But anyway, I won't post in that thread, since that seems unfair for Gotpika.
    Nah, go for it. You gave a capable review and clearly focused well on some grammatical aspects and story aspects within it. Anyone worth their salt knows good critique is hard to come by these days and I appreciate the review on good will. Plus I was more so trying the Bulbagarden rendition of the Review Game to see how it feels, a review isn't really the end-all be-all for me anyway. Plus I've gotten a few messages from people on and off Bulba that have been telling me they're reading, which does brighten up my day a fair amount at times. XD Considering I think my story is something the majority of people here wouldn't find too engrossing due to the fact it's Gameverse, not-shipping, lengthy chapters, erratic update schedule, centers on Iris but there's no form of Wishful or Negai, I'm actually surprised with the feedback I've gotten from it on Bulba. Oh, well, naturally I'm grateful to simply know some are choosing to read and are giving me genuine critic. :P

But, yeah, as I said before feel free to go sign up next in the Review Game. I more than appreciate the review.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Nah, go for it. You gave a capable review and clearly focused well on some grammatical aspects and story aspects within it. Anyone worth their salt knows good critique is hard to come by these days and I appreciate the review on good will. Plus I was more so trying the Bulbagarden rendition of the Review Game to see how it feels, a review isn't really the end-all be-all for me anyway. Plus I've gotten a few messages from people on and off Bulba that have been telling me they're reading, which does brighten up my day a fair amount at times. XD Considering I think my story is something the majority of people here wouldn't find too engrossing due to the fact it's Gameverse, not-shipping, lengthy chapters, erratic update schedule, centers on Iris but there's no form of Wishful or Negai, I'm actually surprised with the feedback I've gotten from it on Bulba. Oh, well, naturally I'm grateful to simply know some are choosing to read and are giving me genuine critic. :P

But, yeah, as I said before feel free to go sign up next in the Review Game. I more than appreciate the review.
    A mod still didn't say it's okay, and besides, you're entitled to a review. I was going to read the story anyway, so it feels like cheating if I just make that review one for the game. And I kinda feel that the review game is like forcing someone to read a story.

Blog Entries

I'd do it, but I literally just went.