Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 208

Page 208 of 402 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258308 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 6023
Like Tree761Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Thanks, Legacy. I think I'll come back to it tomorrow. It's getting late.

Blog Entries

I should totally not start a new fic, but I think I'm going to anyway. Damn you lightning-bolt-like inspiration and a driving desire to write another piece of introspective sappy romance! I haven't written any of it yet, I just typed up a story-summery to help guide me. For some reason it really helps me to write a 'back of the book' type spiel before I start writing. I have to do a little more planning before I figure out how to start, though. I want to figure out what the climax is going to be first. The whole 'need to know where you're going before you can start' thing. And I think I might write this one in first-person, but I haven't decided yet.

I'll drop my summery on you guys. Tell me what you think.

Sabrina is in Ecruteak, shooting a movie with PokeStar Studios after being cast as the heroine, a shrine priestess who falls in love with a samurai. This could be her break-out role, but as a women who grew up in isolation because of her psychic abilities and cold mannerisms, she doesn't know anything about love and trying to be this knew character—an idealist and a romantic—will challenge more than her acting abilities, but her own role in life. Even now Sabrina just doesn't know how to let people in, but being with the friendly crew, seeing the respect the Ecruteak villagers have for their past, and meeting a certain local Gym Leader, makes her really wish that she did. Can Sabrina learn to love and be loved in return? She's definitely going to try.

I'm probably too excited about this. >.<
    Legacy likes this.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Lugion View Post
    Ran into a bit of a snag on my new fic. Nothing serious, I'm just not sure how to proceed to the next scene.
    I do this literally every single time I start a new scene. The way I get around it is by just sitting down and writing anything, even if it's not a great transition. That's probably why so many of my scenes open with over-description and introspection before anything actually happens.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Opinion time, ladies and gents, I'm looking for a show of hands.

I'll cut right to the chase. Chapter 10 of Heart of Crystal is gonna be long. As in, long by even its standards. I'm barely done with the setup for the main event of the chapter and I'm already pushing 6 pages. I'm wondering if I should instead just post these setup scenes as sort of a "chapter 9.5" before diving right in to the main action in chapter 10 proper. What do you guys think?
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

I say just post as is as Chapter 10. If its longer, oh well. Chapters shouldn't be defined by length, in my opinion. If the plot calls for a longer chapter, so be it.

Blog Entries

I once wrote a chapter of a story that was +28,000 words. You don't need to tell me about long. If there's a good place to chop it you can, but otherwise I say post the whole thing. personally, I love long chapters. Hell, it isn't a chapter if it isn't at least 2k words long.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

If it's more than around 30k words you should probably look at dividing it up if possible, but I don't think it really matters. I personally don't always read whole chapters in one sitting anyway.
    Legacy likes this.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Wow, I didn't realize what you guys considered "long." The part I'd put up as a "preview" is currently only about 1700 words, though I do want to add in one more short scene between it and what I consider the proper beginning of the chapter.

Sorry about the wait for this, by the way...I admit to having a fair amount of trouble with it, even with the giant hiatus it took. But hey, you're getting a gym battle out of it! That makes up for something, right? *sweatdrop* Right...?
    Serenity likes this.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

I don't really look at page count, but word count instead, since a lot of dialogue and short paragraphs can eat up pages while having barely any words on it, and what font size you type in can make judging by pages skewed.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    I once wrote a chapter of a story that was +28,000 words. You don't need to tell me about long. If there's a good place to chop it you can, but otherwise I say post the whole thing. personally, I love long chapters. Hell, it isn't a chapter if it isn't at least 2k words long.
    Good lord! And I thought I wrote long chapters (mine tend to be up to 17,000 words). o.O

But yeah, I know long too. And you should really judge the length of a chapter by word count, not page count for the reasons NoirGrimoir stated.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I never saw a point in putting so much into the goodness of a story by its length alone, it seems childish.

I don't mind fics that have a bit of meat on their bones, it's more so about the story and how quality it is that that keeps me going, even if the chapters are a tad on the long side I find it much more interesting than reading a short chapter of poorly handled plotting, mediocre pacing, shitty description, awkward dialogue, crap characters, and uninteresting plot-lines. So I say for the most part I don't care if a story's chapters are long, as long as they're of great quality. A'las patience is a virtue. If more folks just had the diligence and composure to read a "long" chapter, I feel like a lot more fanfiction would be recognized and there would overall be much more informed and better writers in the community.

I've seen so many fics that try so hard to move forward with the story but while they try to move fast you don't really get a feel for their characters, life, and the world around them so the impact of things are lessened. Many fics are so entertaining because you truly do get a feel for the main character as well as care about the side characters. I feel like we get a true understanding of them in a brief amount of time that isn't rushed or contrived. Plus more fic is more fun imo, if I'm enjoying something I don't wanna end it fast. I wanna enjoy it for the long ride, I don't understand this obsession many writers have with their fics being short and sweet and possibly of lesser quality. The content makes up for the length even if it's bulky(that's not a bad thing).

The only reason I could see someone whining about length is if we get a lot of filler-ish stuff and the plot of the story isn't advanced much at all, it can be annoying to read a story but by the end of a chapter getting little to no payoff in any aspects of the storyline.

If anyone cares my chapters so far range between 5,000-7,000 words. Something I have to recognize is how these chapters seem to be gradually growing as time goes on, whether or not this do to my improved detail and description skills I dunno. I'm estimating my next chapter will break 7K.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 4th February 2013 at 06:34 PM.
    Kelleo, Lugion, Legacy and 1 others like this.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Well said, Gotpika. My chapters gradually grow longer as the story progresses too, I notice. But I agree, the more fic, the more fun! ^^

Blog Entries

Like, I've read fics that are honestly too long for their own good. The description was repetitive, and there was just too much of it.

In the end, though, the length of something is entirely up to the author. When something feels complete to the author, that's when it's best to cut.

Another good rule I've learned is to always ask yourself, "Do I really need to say that?"
    Legacy likes this.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Yeah, I ask myself that question too from time to time. It really is a good rule to remember.

So, to go with that oneshot I mentioned earlier, I decided to write this little intro featuring song lyrics. It's based on and inspired by "The Legend of the Sword" from Disney's The Sword in the Stone. I'm a Disney fanatic and grew up with their classic films and characters, so some of my writing takes inspiration from them. And I thought this was fitting for telling the story of that character that becomes a legend.

The Legend of the Secret Prince

A legend is sung
    Of when Astryn was young
    And war had torn the land
    The good queen had ailed
    And no one could prevail
    At deciding an heir to the throne

It had seemed that all hope
    Would be dead with men
    Or found by a miracle alone
    And that miracle appeared
    In fair Medann
    An old, wood portrait

And when the ill queen laid eyes on this relic, which depicted an unknown, but beautiful woman, she uttered these words: "My sister...my nephew...where could he be...? Her little boy...must be there..."

And so started a grand journey to seek out the prince the queen had spoken of. Though many had searched far and wide across the land, none could find a man that much resembled the woman in the portrait, and so, faith faded once again. Nobles had begun vying for the throne, and the ailing queen's condition only worsened. Without someone to enforce law and order, people lived in fear and despair. And time had all but run out...

Basically, Astryn was left in a similar situation to England from The Sword in the Stone. Only, they were already ravaged by war, and this led to the queen remaining very ill instead of her death right away. The people know it's only a matter of time before she passes on, and she has no children. Yet, they find that portrait and thus evidence that the queen may have a nephew that no one knew about for some reason. I'm not an expert with song lyrics or anything, but I do have a little experience with them. What do you all think? Cause I'm not sure...lol.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Just a reminder that there is only a day left to get your votes in for Best Reviewer and Best Newcomer for the Winter Awards! We have had a good turnout this awards, a bit less than in the past but the forum appears to be heading down a path of rejuvenation which is fantastic to see, so hopefully even more fics are nominated next time!

Also, we have a new thread for all your general writing questions called, funnily enough, General Writing Questions. We are trying to curb all the one off threads that get made of people asking a simple question about one of their stories, so this is their new home. I encourage you all to give it a go, as you can ask anything that could help you with your writing and get a lot of great feedback! While threads that can spark individually discussions like the Constructive Criticism vs Flaming thread can stick around, we will start moving one off threads into this one to keep things tidy.
    Gama likes this.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^