Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 192

Page 192 of 402 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 6023
Like Tree761Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Aw, thank you, Legacy! I too am privileged to serve as mod here, because every awards season, we get so much great work, it's hard to choose one winner
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey everyone! It's been forever since I've posted. Again. It's nice to read through everything and be reminded why I like this community so much.

I just realized that these winter awards are the first since I started writing two years ago that I haven't been nominated in the Journey fic category. I don't really care given that I've never won, and it's definitely deserved looking at my activity, but it made me realize how much I've been neglecting this place. I really need to start reading/reviewing again.

I haven't written anything since the holiday contest, and it's tough to find the motivation. I've been looking through the review exchange in the hopes that some meaningful feedback from someone that isn't my only reader would spark me, but I've come across a problem. Unpredictable is horrendously long (well over 100k words last I checked). I've done several review exchanges in the past, but they always turn up dry for me due to my fic's length. I want feedback on the most recent chapters or the whole thing, but it takes ages to read that far so people end up not giving me any reviews in return. I guess what I'm saying is if you've got a really long fic and want an exchange, hit me up. I know this isn't the place to ask, but like I said, the review exchange hasn't really done me any good.

Either way, I'm going to try to pound out the last several chapters so that I can start anew and hopefully grab a new reader or two.

Anyways... what kind of music have you all been listening to recently? I've been jamming out to the epic and danceable Mikkas and getting my chill trance fix with Solarstone. Always looking for music new and old.

Ms. Canadian Destroyer Caite-chan's Avatar
    Follow Caite-chan On Twitter

I love being able to post my story here and getting actual feedback and reviews. It has helped me out a lot and I love it.
    [ Fan Fic: Loving Hope (CH 9) | Breeding Center ]
    3DS Friends Code: 0834-1774-6902 | Friend Safari: Electric - Electrode, Stunfisk & Zebstrika

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I used to listen to music a lot while I was actually writing, but as my musical tastes are not only rather limited but have changed very little since late middle school, it was all music that I'd heard many times before. I could sort of tune my mind out to the music and just write. Nowadays that doesn't work so well (though I just found this music that I think could work), but music is still a huge inspiration to me. Music can give me ideas for everything from tone to setting to characters to events to worldbuilding, and I firmly believe that, without music, I would not be able to write half as well as you all seem to think I do.

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, I've been lurking pretty lightly around here since I got my own computer back. My writing has been in a funk, especially with Heart of Crystal. I've been feeling really bad about it; I have big plans for this chapter, but they don't mean anything if I can't write them, and if I don't write them, then that means I don't get to share them with you guys. I was originally only going to make a token post about music after glancing at the most recent posts here. But, seeing the posts from @Legacy; and @AetherX; reminded me of why I wanted to come back to the forums at all after I left, and why I've stayed ever since. I may not be the most prolific reader or reviewer, I may come off as though I care only about my own fic, but in the end, it's the community here that keeps me coming back. It's the people with whom I feel the most kinship; it's the people who I can have intelligent conversations and share funny stories with in the same breath, from whom I can ask advice and get honest answers, who I can bounce ideas off of and expand my own horizons. And yeah, the positive reaction whenever I do post something is nice - it's really amazing, actually - but if that was all that mattered, I wouldn't come here at all except for the rare occasions on which I DO update. I don't want it to go to my head. I always want to keep trying to be better, and this is a place where I know I can do that. So...thank you, everyone, for being here.
    Legacy and AceTrainer14 like this.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    I haven't written anything since the holiday contest, and it's tough to find the motivation. I've been looking through the review exchange in the hopes that some meaningful feedback from someone that isn't my only reader would spark me, but I've come across a problem. Unpredictable is horrendously long (well over 100k words last I checked). I've done several review exchanges in the past, but they always turn up dry for me due to my fic's length. I want feedback on the most recent chapters or the whole thing, but it takes ages to read that far so people end up not giving me any reviews in return. I guess what I'm saying is if you've got a really long fic and want an exchange, hit me up. I know this isn't the place to ask, but like I said, the review exchange hasn't really done me any good.
    I actually read all of Unpredictable in the span of a week in my free time during class around two months ago. I forgot to mention, I tend to save a webpage on my 3DS before going to school for the day and read fanfiction in my free time during class. I've managed to read a lot of fanfics and catch up to many fics. in the span of around a few days doing this. For examples, Survival Project, Heart of Crystal, Requiem, The Pokemon Academy, Brother's Bond, Pocket Monsters, Angel of Reckoning, Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova, Champion Game, etc. I actually don't mind length either, as long as the story is quality I'll read it. Complaints about length seem petty, especially if the story is pretty engrossing.

Blog Entries

I do the same thing. Even if I don't have time to read at a given time, I'll identify a few fics that I want to sit down and read and save the links to my iPhone browser. Then, when I am bored or have free time at work, I'll read.

I really think this is a great thing to do. Again, we are all a community of writers here. We ARE the Bulbagarden authors. We should support each other at least as much as we focus on our own projects.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Anyways... what kind of music have you all been listening to recently? I've been jamming out to the epic and danceable Mikkas and getting my chill trance fix with Solarstone. Always looking for music new and old.
    I tend to listen to stuff like this while I'm writing (those are separate links and I highly recommend that last one). There's something inspiring behind the music... maybe the fact that it's tied to a show with absolutely phenomenal writing.

I've found I can't even listen to music with lyrics in it anymore. I'm over analytical and I start to hear the lyrics rather than the music, and most of the time I'm going "...what the fuck does that mean? this is a garbled up mess of words that doesn't make sense!" I think most music since the early 90s threw sensible lyrics out the window, like the lyrics don't matter, it's the final sound that matters.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 28th January 2013 at 01:18 PM.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Holy tits the response to that post was overwhelming. Seven notifications! It's almost like having friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    I actually read all of Unpredictable in the span of a week in my free time during class around two months ago.
    That's right, you did! I remember being impressed at how quickly you did it, too.
    @Caitlin; I'm digging that 24 ost. Kind of makes me want to watch the show.

SO MANY WARM FUZZIES <3 I'm going to go post a new chapter and read the rest of the night. I love all of you.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

It is amazing to see so many old and familiar faces returning, and it is a great time to be doing so :) In the coming weeks, there will be several opportunities that we hope will spark a lot more interest in the Workshop and getting people more involved, have a lot more fun and definitely spread the feedback and friendship! It is a fantastic time to be a part of the Workshop, and I hope you all enjoy the exciting things to come ;)

(And remember to vote in the Winter Awards if you haven't already!)
    Bubble Frog likes this.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

It wasn't much! Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I´ve been thinking about doing the same thing with my ipod honestly, especially since I still have like two more stories on my to read list that I haven´tread and 2 chapters of Unpredictable that I need to read, but I´m finding some trouble adjusting at reading with the touch´s screen.

I feel like a new freshman when all my friends' older friends come back from college to visit the school.
    Lugion likes this.

Blog Entries

You should've seen this place back in the summer of 2010, when I first joined up. Back then, fics that updated weekly were commonly pushed back to the third or even fourth page. After that, we sort of fell into a slump, which I blame on @Gama; and @Legacy; for finishing and/or discontinuing their fics (kidding, of course :P). I think the slowest this forum has been was probably sometime last year, but we're on a climb back up. Tons of new people have shown up lately.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Prof. Lugion;

That we can agree on. It was really slow last year, but things seems to pick up now, with new faces appearing, new stories etc. Even I am in full work with mine, which I believe will be interesting, sort of a remake of my last unsuccessful journey fic, which I discontinued as I couldn't see where I should go with it, but with a more interesting plot.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

Lets do this, guys!

We're fucking back! Wooooo!

Writer's Workshop is the best.

It wasn't much! Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Hey I kept updating so there's that :P well at least until summer of last year when things went bad -w-