Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 183
Page 183 of 559 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 8374

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster97 View Post
    Hey guise~ I've been lurking the Writer's Workshop for awhile and decided to post here :p I wish I had more time to write fics, but school is so time consuming. I like reviewing and reading other's stories though. Well....that's about it.
    You could always write your stories just do a little bit every night before bed. Might take you a little bit longer though. If I don't write I at least try to come up with one idea for a new CH a night.
    I tend to stretch myself pretty thin. Homework, soccer, being an admin on Bulbapedia, and, writing. My days get pretty crazy. I'm constantly brainstorming ideas and writing things down, just haven't turned them into real stories as of yet.

Reader and Writer Legacy's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    Hey guise~ I've been lurking the Writer's Workshop for awhile and decided to post here :p I wish I had more time to write fics, but school is so time consuming. I like reviewing and reading other's stories though. Well....that's about it.
    You could always write your stories just do a little bit every night before bed. Might take you a little bit longer though. If I don't write I at least try to come up with one idea for a new CH a night.
    I tend to stretch myself pretty thin. Homework, soccer, being an admin on Bulbapedia, and, writing. My days get pretty crazy. I'm constantly brainstorming ideas and writing things down, just haven't turned them into real stories as of yet.
    We are glad to have you anyway!

This is a great place if you like stories. Welcome.

Coming Soon...

Blog Entries

I just wanted to make sure everybody knows I'm going by "Prof. Lugion" for the time being. :P

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

I never feel very welcome here for some reason. ?_? I frequently make an effort to join in conversations, but... eh. Then again, I feel ignored pretty much wherever I go.

Blog Entries

I think it's more a lack of activity, Ahnyo.

Blog Entries

I take it you're referring to activity on this forum in general and not specifically my activity? Though, I suppose it's understandable either way... I'm not one to read others' work. Silly me... I always wonder why barely anyone reads my writing, and yet I never do any reading of my own. 8I

Blog Entries

Well, I was referring to the activity of the Writer's Workshop. I might just be spoiled though, 2010 was an absolute boom year for the Workshop, and that's when I joined up.

But yeah. I'd honestly suggest you find a fic you like and read from there, though I understand perfectly if you simply don't want to read others' works. It can be tough getting into them, and real-world responsibilities have to take priority.

Blog Entries

Heh, perhaps I shouldn't have waited to start posting my fic.

I wish I could, but I'm just not a big reader... I have a hard time even getting myself to read books for school.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnyo View Post
    Heh, perhaps I shouldn't have waited to start posting my fic.

I wish I could, but I'm just not a big reader... I have a hard time even getting myself to read books for school.
    Simple answer is to wait until you've got nothing better to do, then open up a story and get reading. An alternative is to go download a text reader and copypaste a story into it, then listen to it on a night as you go to bed, if you have a computer within it's vicinity.

Now, about your fic, give it time and I'm sure people'll be drawn to it. Patience is always good, let's others take their time and makes them feel comfortable, rather then awkward and not as interested when someone goes "No one reads my fic, could you go do it?", since they'll feel like they've been forced to read it even if you just asked politely. That's my advice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Instrutilus View Post
    An alternative is to go download a text reader and copypaste a story into it, then listen to it on a night as you go to bed, if you have a computer within it's vicinity.
    I tried this years ago. I hope text to speech software has improved a lot since then, cause it was basically like listening to the fat police dog in Animal Crossing. "blub bwub buubbubb blub"

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Instrutilus View Post
    An alternative is to go download a text reader and copypaste a story into it, then listen to it on a night as you go to bed, if you have a computer within it's vicinity.
    I tried this years ago. I hope text to speech software has improved a lot since then, cause it was basically like listening to the fat police dog in Animal Crossing. "blub bwub buubbubb blub"
    I'm not aware of any such advances, but it's better then nothing o3o

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Hey all! There are only a day or two left if you want to apply to be a moderator for the Writer's Workshop, so if you are interested in getting involved more in the community, make sure you get your application in pronto!

Also, the Winter Awards Nomination Period is nearly over! We have nominations in every category now, which is fantastic, but we only have one nomination in Best Crossover/Non Pokemon, Best Dark, Best Antagonist or Best Newcomer. Surely a story by a new author has been posted in the last few months set in the world of Mario where everyone has been killed by Voldemort that could be nominated... or something like that! But anyway, make sure you get your nominations in before Sunday when they close, though due to time differences and such it is best to get them in sooner rather than later!

Blog Entries

As much as I'd love to help out around here as a mod... I'm not sure right now if I can commit to it or not. I'm just starting school again after all.

I went ahead and gave it a shot for the Mod spot. :D

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnyo View Post
    I wish I could, but I'm just not a big reader...
    This is a big problem with the Workshop, not talking to you specifically but just saying in-general.

So many people expect to get reviews and critique for their fics., but they don't actually read other peoples' stories themselves. Yeah, we're busy with rl, homework, etc, anyone worth their salt is, but I don't have a problem reading stories, it only takes around 20 minutes at most to finish a chapter of a story on here because most aren't even that long to begin with. I've managed to nearly finish every chapter of System Error's fic. by reading them in class during my free time on my 3DS and a lot of stories on another site. Like I said, if anyone expects to get reviews or ask someone to review their fic. at least offering a review exchange would be a good way to go about things. "I'm not a reader" isn't an excuse imo.

I find complaints about the length of story to be completely irrelevant, if a story is quality, like SE's imo and it's a bit on the longer side I don't mind reading it as long as I'm enjoying it. If we were all just a little less lazy and a bit more active this fanfiction section of Bulbagarden would be doing a lot better, we'd also attract more people here. Another problem I that should be highlighted is the quality of reviews and critiquing we give, post about small things that happen in the chapter and leaving it at that doesn't seem like quality reviewing. Actually going in-depth and looking piece by piece at things seems more helpful for the writers, I also think we should all be a bit more stern in our reviews, for example sometimes I felt like people were holding back their true feelings when they reviewed my past fic. and that didn't help my writing skills at all. It's when you're honest and somewhat stern that I feel the writer truly improves and looks at things from a better angle, sure it hurts but YOLO that's the modus operandi that helps most.

There are so many good fics like Survival Project by @diamondpearl876; that get little or no critique because people judge the story by its length.(It's not even that long) Or are just lazy, be the change you want to see is what I always say.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 16th January 2013 at 07:54 PM.