Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 171

Page 171 of 399 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 5977
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Ol' Brown Eyes is back Jesse GS the II's Avatar

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    Wow it's dead in here. Where is everyone?
    That's what I'd like to know. I took the advice of my fellow authors and started posting "Jouto Redux", and while I do hate to complain about something like this because it usually just comes off as whining, it does kinda bug me that I'm three chapters in now and I've gotten absolutely no feedback. This is my first serious foray into fanfic writing, and I was hoping that others who work in the medium would tell me whether or not I'm doing well. As an artist, I look forward to any kind of response generated by my work, but getting no replies just makes it look like I've inspired cricket-chirping indifference in my audience, which is probably the worst thing I can imagine.
    This is my DeviantArt. Pretty neat, huh?

Jouto Redux
    One fan's re-imagining of the Jouto saga
    Read Chapter 6 now!

Blog Entries

It just takes a little while sometimes. Hell, I think I got all of two responses on the first story I posted here, and it wasn't until I started Stainless Steel (which was about Steven Stone's Pokémon journey) that I started becoming popular at all around here.

I know I've been wanting to read, but I've not had the time to just sit down and do it. Once I do get the time, I'll definitely give it a read. Give it a little bit, and if it's good, you'll definitely attract an audience.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Season one of Live From the Fireside took a day or two to get its first response, as well
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

People seem very reluctant to give new authors a chance around here. Don't worry about, don't make the same mistake I did it and keep going. You'll eventually get some recognition.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    Wow it's dead in here. Where is everyone?
    That's what I'd like to know. I took the advice of my fellow authors and started posting "Jouto Redux", and while I do hate to complain about something like this because it usually just comes off as whining, it does kinda bug me that I'm three chapters in now and I've gotten absolutely no feedback. This is my first serious foray into fanfic writing, and I was hoping that others who work in the medium would tell me whether or not I'm doing well. As an artist, I look forward to any kind of response generated by my work, but getting no replies just makes it look like I've inspired cricket-chirping indifference in my audience, which is probably the worst thing I can imagine.
    Believe me, I know.

Winner of the Best Newcomer award, and I'm still somehow asking myself a similar question. :/ It's just weird how things seem to work here at times; some people are loved for anything they put out, some people get enough to be reasonable (or just short of reasonability), some people get dick all.
    Don't know what to put here.

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

Haha, I've only gotten two comments on my twenty-seven chapter story. n_n; It feels nice to have won Fic of the Month, though.

Blog Entries

I think it's just up to all of us to fix this problem if we want our stuff to get reviewed more.

The vast majority of people who frequent the Workshop are writers, and I think people are just so focused on writing their own things that reviewing of other people's work just doesn't get done. I'm not really sure what the solution could be other than we all making a more conscious effort to review.

Conformity is Overrated. Phoenix502's Avatar

Visit Phoenix502's Youtube Channel

erm, how long has it been since I said I'd post my story again? it feels like a year, and I have yet to post a thing.

oh well, my story's at a bit of a standstill as of lately, me and a friend had decided early on that we would collaborate our different ideas into something cohesive. but given my side of the story's at a point where it enters a time skip, I'm debating whether to place a "to be continued" or not.

main story aside, the Pokemon scene's been unfortunately quiet for me, absolutely little patience in setting up a team suitable for online random battles and the in-game options can only go so far with a single player... and I'm still not quite confident enough to attempt to draw up designs for my fanfic's characters. *sigh* coupling that with serious distractibility as a result, and I'm kinda feeling a little ho-hum about my creative abilities.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    I think it's just up to all of us to fix this problem if we want our stuff to get reviewed more.

The vast majority of people who frequent the Workshop are writers, and I think people are just so focused on writing their own things that reviewing of other people's work just doesn't get done. I'm not really sure what the solution could be other than we all making a more conscious effort to review.
    I think another problem is lack of interest in actually reading the stories. I can't speak for anyone else, and I'm sorry if what I say comes off as offensive, but I will often stop reading a fanfic after about two or three paragraphs because it's not the kind of stuff I want to read (in general following the "don't like, don't read" philosophy). Often it's not even because it's badly written; it's the subject matter that I don't like. Not that I've read too many fanfics in the past while; I've been pretty busy with university work.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

An issue I see is that people are quick to complain that they don't get readers and yet do not read around the Workshop. If you are concerned about the number of reviews you are getting, think about the number you are giving. If you have a link in your Sig and give lots of good reviews, people will pay attention and read your stuff.

Also, be sure to check out the Review Exchange! That doesn't just mean stick your details on there and wait for something to magically happen: have a look at the other posts there and ask someone to do an exchange. that can give your fic the initial boost it needs!
    Protopost likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I'm not gonna lie, the complaining about review counts does get a bit annoying at times. Mainly because not many are doing anything to fix said reviewing problem, for example a Review Exchange or participating in the "Review Game" would be a good way to up your review count if you really want and need some feedback for your work. In-general I think we could work harder on giving better reviews as well, I mean more in-depth and serious reviews, that truly are honest and sincere. That's the only way to make writers better, by critiquing their work. I also think one of the things that has repelled a few people away is their seems to be a bit of a bias toward longer stories, in-general complaining about length always seemed a bit petty. Especially if the content and quality is really good.

I'm always up for a Review Exchange if anyone wants to try one.

The reason I haven't been around is due to me reading different fanfictions on various sites as well as my constant tuning and retuning of Chapter 2 of my own fic., I'll try to be more active here in the future.

Also keep in mind that asking for reviews with nothing in return is perfectly fine, just try not to go overboard with it. Legacy made a thread describing it in a way.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 16th November 2012 at 10:18 AM.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I feel like a real idiot right now.

Cause I realized that it´s been a long time since I´ve written something.

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

Yeah, it's probably my fault that I barely get any reviews. I really don't enjoy reading, though... it doesn't matter if it's a fanfiction, an original story, or a published book—it's just something I don't do very often. I bet that sounds bad coming from a writer...

Blog Entries

I'm personally not too concerned about getting reviews anymore. They'd be nice, but eh. I barely have time to get to writing anymore, so I don't get much opportunity to read and review others' works. I'm writing for myself and only myself at this point.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

hi im lady lucifer and i am homestuck pleased to meet u i have risen from the dead

im currently making a homestuck fan-fiction yay