vas Bulbagarden Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Although I'm not participating in NaNoWriMo, all the buzz about writing has gotten me excited enough that I figure I may as well knock out the last few chapters of Bulbagarden! season three. Maybe I'll even be able to start season four before the new year. Here's hoping!
    I was wondering whether or not that thing had kicked the bucket for good Nice to see you around again, Jabber.
    I still plan to finish it eventually. Hopefully it'll be done before I leave for college.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I still plan to finish it eventually. Hopefully it'll be done before I leave for college.
    Given how far ahead you seemed to have planned for this, I doubt it. Still, good luck, and don't worry too much about writing during college; once you get into the swing of things, it's not that bad.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Given how far ahead you seemed to have planned for this, I doubt it. Still, good luck, and don't worry too much about writing during college; once you get into the swing of things, it's not that bad.
    Perhaps, but I'm going for a degree in zoology, and that can be pretty intensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Perhaps, but I'm going for a degree in zoology, and that can be pretty intensive.
    Ooh, sounds interesting.

"He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooh, sounds interesting.
    Yeah, I'm hoping to become a naturalist. I'm hoping to go to TSU in San Marcos. I'll get my degree, live in Austin or San Antonio for a few years, then get my Ph.D. and earn enough money to live relatively comfortably in San Diego or Fort Lauterdale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So I spent much of the summer formulating the backstory and ideas for a spooky and creepy 8 chapter long story arc for October... October's come and gone and I still haven't even finished chapter 2. I had projected that I'd have started it sometime around mid october, but... at this rate, the first chapter of that will be released in mid spring next year.

Lack of motivation sucks, doesn't it?

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm hoping to become a naturalist. I'm hoping to go to TSU in San Marcos. I'll get my degree, live in Austin or San Antonio for a few years, then get my Ph.D. and earn enough money to live relatively comfortably in San Diego or Fort Lauterdale.
    Good luck in San Diego...it's EXPENSIVE to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    So I spent much of the summer formulating the backstory and ideas for a spooky and creepy 8 chapter long story arc for October... October's come and gone and I still haven't even finished chapter 2. I had projected that I'd have started it sometime around mid october, but... at this rate, the first chapter of that will be released in mid spring next year.

Lack of motivation sucks, doesn't it?
    Eeyup

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good luck in San Diego...it's EXPENSIVE to live there.
    And that's why I'll just stay in San Antonio or Austin for a while first.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I posted a new thread, The Review Game. I got the idea from a person on Serebii and it works wonders for people wanting indepth reviews and it's a great way to commit to the community as a whole. I'm hoping this new game will help to re-energize this section a bit since its been on the slow side for a couple of months now, plus you'll get very good reviews. Feel free to join along in this thread, it's a great way to encourage new members to come here and post and not be discouraged from the lack of reviews. Hopefully it does the charm and we might attract some permanent members here to this section as well.

In daily news, I have a hairline fracture in my foot which has kept me from doing too many physical activity as of late. Luckily I think I'm healing up nicely and will be able to get back to practicing football Monday and hopefully training again by the eighth of November. This will be a blessing since I'm eager to play Mike Linebacker in the future and anyone worth their salt has to be quite the player to truly play that position to the best of their capabilities. Plus, I'm getting out shape and have to get back to training and can't wait.

I've been playing W2 for a while and I'll be starting B2 at some point, I'm currently residing at Driftveil City and having a bit of a tough time with Clay, of course this is my own fault because of my self-imposed attempts at making the game more challenging by using under leveled Accelgor, Espeon, and Pignite against Clay. I'm absolutely ecstatic about the developments that went into Drifveil over the past two years given Clay is a businessman that was a nice nod to his occupation not to mention the mineral crystals that cover a fair amount of the town now. So far I have a Braviary, Accelgor, Espeon, Pignite, Krokorok, and Magnemite. I'm not sure what else I'll catch.

I have to say I'm rather disappointed in Hidden Grottos as a whole given they don't seem to special since the diversity in-regards to non-Unova Pokemon is, in my opinion, lacking since it seems like the same shit as usual and nothing too special outside of Dragonite, Bagon, Heracross, and Ditto. Hidden Grottos really don't seem special in my opinion, so I've respectively turned my attention back to the DW for Hidden Ability Pokemon. I'd mainly be happy to find a Hidden Ability Drifloon or Smeargle because I've been wanting to use both for the Battle Subway. I'll probably debut both in BW2 at some point post game when I start EV training and IV breeding again. Driving up my DW Points count isn't so much a pipe dream anymore since I obtained 4,520 points due to my berries disappearing in my long, long absence.

In regards to my current and only project, The Girl Who Knows The Hearts of Dragons I've learned quite a lot regarding Iris and Drayden so this works nicely with sticking to the canon of the games and really touching upon their relationship, interactions, story line, and back story. It also works greatly for keeping things in check when it comes to writing the other characters, locations, and general info about the game, past and future.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 1st November 2012 at 09:01 PM.

Ol' Brown Eyes is back Jesse GS the II's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've taken a year-long hiatus from the Pokémon fandom, but my creative streak has drawn me back. For years, I've wanted to retell the saga of the Pokémon anime in the form of a comic adaptation, reworking plot and characterization issues that I thought didn't work. The storytelling potential of the Pokémon world is huge, but the anime wastes so much of it, to the point where a creative mind like mine can't help but take certain elements and run with them. As it often happens with my creative ideas, however, it's insanely extravagant and labor-intensive, and I could never ever do it all - at least not in the form of a comic.

So I decided to dabble in fanfic instead. And rather than try to fix every story arc, I decided to focus my efforts solely on Jouto, the saga that saw fit to mire itself in endless boring fillers rather than construct a truly epic adventure. Because really, my gripes with the other sagas are minimal at best, but Jouto just really ticks me off. So I outlined a massive 75-chapter tale that reboots Satoshi's entire Jouto journey. Among the changes I made:

- The legendary Pokémon of Jouto get a lot more to do than they did in the show. The legend of Lugia and Houou is a prominent theme, as is the connection they share with Raikou, Entei, and Suicune.
    - Kasumi and Takeshi get character arcs. Kasumi is driven by her dream of inheriting the Hanada City Gym someday, though she must first prove to her sisters that she's worthy of the job. But since her sisters have teased her all her life, she's bogged down by feelings of inadequacy as a trainer, accentuated by the fact that she can't control her Koduck and she can't get Togepi to perform any attacks. For Takeshi, I played up his love of women, and went into why he's so nuts for them - a combination of his efforts not to end up like his separated parents, as well as a need to prove to himself that he can get over his disastrous encounter with Uchikido-hakase in the Orange Islands.
    - Shigeru also gets an arc, where he begins to doubt his own strategies as a trainer. He decides his "catch first, ask questions later" method of capturing doesn't work, so he makes an effort to build a really strong team instead of just catching every Pokémon he sees.
    - Musashi and Kojirou get shunted into the Jouto division of the Rocket-dan after Sakaki discovers they've spent all their time in the Kanto region chasing a dinky little Pikachu. They now report to Apollo and Athena, who have a secret and more sinister plot that even Musashi-tachi don't know about. I also thought up an explanation for why Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu have never been fired in spite of their inability to turn a profit for the Rocket-dan, and it delves into the characters' personal lives.
    - I worked Kenta and Marina into the story and gave them a little side plot. They meet up with Satoshi-tachi every once in a while, but they mostly have their own adventures that still tie into the main plot. Kenta's rival, Silver, is also elevated to a main antagonist, working as a Pokémon thief for a mysterious boss.
    - Everyone's Pokémon teams changed slightly. There's a few more captures and evolutions, most notably on Kasumi and Takeshi's teams.

Only thing is, I don't have a lot of time to devote to this. I am 25 years old with a day job and a fledgling career in the professional cartooning world, so finding time to work on a project that doesn't even feature my own characters is a little difficult. And I often get struck by that wriggling little notion that I'm wasting what little free time I do have when I work on this thing. Fanfiction is largely viewed as not terribly productive among most professional creative types, after all. But I do enjoy writing it, and I'm really proud of the big extravagant story I outlined, so I'm kinda torn.
    This is my DeviantArt. Pretty neat, huh?

Jouto Redux
    One fan's re-imagining of the Jouto saga
    Read Chapter 6 now!

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would say go for it (loved those comics, BTW--Pikachu was a riot in those!)
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd say go for it as well, as long as it doesn't interfere with your livelihood.

I'm actually working on a pretty similar idea, though it's a rewrite of the Kanto series, rather than Johto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would love to read that if you do get a chance to write it.

Decades have passed, and Kanto is a much different place. Follow Lucas Green as he and his friends search for answers and look to fulfill their destinies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've actually posted the first for chapters of mine, if you're referring to me. I was hoping to get the fifth- which wraps up the battle with Brock- out before NaNo started, but eh. I might still get it up soon.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/pok%C3%A9mon-like-no-one-ever-138894/

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow it's dead in here. Where is everyone?

How's your week been? Myself I ran for the position of Tournament Convenor for UCL Debating Society and I got it. Quite a few people ran so it was nice to (jointly) win. I've got a meeting about the tournament this evening. I'm looking forward to it.

Anything interesting happen with anyone else?