Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 6840

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

I really hate wanting to write so many different ideas. DX

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

So I just finished my first week of college classes ever. Since I have absolutely no social skills I am now spending Friday night alone on Bulbagarden whilst eating cashews and drinking pink lemonade #YOLO

I've never been one to bitch about my issues to people on the internet, but I have to admit I was actually surprised when I realized how awful I am at making friends.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    I've never been one to bitch about my issues to people on the internet, but I have to admit I was actually surprised when I realized how awful I am at making friends.
    Hey, don't worry, you're not alone in that. I suck butt at it too. My social skills are awful, mainly because I have Asperger's. It's a form of autism. People with it always have horrible social skills. They also tend to be quite talented and intelligent, but they also have sensitive hearing and tend to be very talkative, sometimes about a single subject that they're really interested in. In my case, it's multiple subjects...lol. They are also stubborn about their beliefs and opinions (definitely me) and sometimes have issues with criticism, like I used to. I accept it well now...sort of. xP

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

I'm pretty bad in social situations, too. I can see my first week at university being like that, too. Maybe with peanuts instead of cashews, but otherwise yep. I'm starting next March, so we'll see how that goes!

But yeah, social interactions. Ew. I went to a party for the first time a couple months ago. Hated it, left after about an hour. I only went because it was the afterparty for the production cast, and it was terrible. Mind you, it wasn't a terribly social affair. Just loud, shitty music and louder, shittier dancing. XP
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

First week of college is rough on everyone. Give it time - eventually, you'll gravitate towards other people in your classes and befriend some of them, and get to know a lot more. Are you taking any writing classes? Those are excellent ways to meet people who are interested in the same things you are, and workshops especially pretty much force you to get to know your fellow students on some level. Also, chances are you'll be seeing some of them over and over again if you keep taking writing classes.

Making friends in college isn't difficult, even if you're quiet or don't actively seek them out. And yes, even if you have Asperger's. I met one of my most amazing friends during my second year of college through a mutual friend, and she's about as textbook Asperger's as you get, but she clicked immediately with both me and my one other really good friend at the time. But the point is, you don't have to go out partying or drinking to meet people, nor do you have to join a club or frat/sorority. Just hang out on campus or in the library and see if anyone is doing anything that looks interesting - at my uni, the tables in one room on the third floor of the commons were always filled with people playing Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic: The Gathering, for example - or just keep your eyes and ears open during class for anyone who says or does anything that strikes your interest. Again, writing workshops are a great way to do this.

Seriously, people. If I can meet and make friends during college, anyone can.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

I don't know if this exists in American colleges but I always recommend that people should seek out university societies. They're always really welcoming because they need new people for their society to grow and there's usually so many that you know you'll find something to match your interests. I joined debating when I first started at university and in my second and third year pretty much all of my friends are from debating society!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mama View Post
    I don't know if this exists in American colleges but I always recommend that people should seek out university societies. They're always really welcoming because they need new people for their society to grow and there's usually so many that you know you'll find something to match your interests. I joined debating when I first started at university and in my second and third year pretty much all of my friends are from debating society!
    Oh, yeah, we have those. They're called many different things, though. We also have fraternities (for guys) and sororities (for girls), though those aren't quite the same thing.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You could say that I'm also a bit socially awkward, but that would because I was heavily bullied once. Had a hard trusting others after that, but it has improved since then. Having a common interest does help making friends.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Making friends in college isn't difficult, even if you're quiet or don't actively seek them out. And yes, even if you have Asperger's. I met one of my most amazing friends during my second year of college through a mutual friend, and she's about as textbook Asperger's as you get, but she clicked immediately with both me and my one other really good friend at the time. But the point is, you don't have to go out partying or drinking to meet people, nor do you have to join a club or frat/sorority. Just hang out on campus or in the library and see if anyone is doing anything that looks interesting - at my uni, the tables in one room on the third floor of the commons were always filled with people playing Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic: The Gathering, for example - or just keep your eyes and ears open during class for anyone who says or does anything that strikes your interest. Again, writing workshops are a great way to do this.

Seriously, people. If I can meet and make friends during college, anyone can.
    Not entirely true. Everyone is different. For you, making friends is easy. For some of us, it isn't. And the colleges I went to didn't have anything like Yu-Gi-Oh gatherings and what not. There was a gaming convention, but that was only for Xbox and crap, there was absolutely nothing Nintendo-related. So I had no place there. And I tried to talk to people, but I got ignored more often. I couldn't join any conversations because I never understood or could relate to anything anyone else talked about. I also looked for people doing anything I was interested in, but found nothing. Granted, I was at small campuses, but still. There were plenty of places where I could find a student typing up a story on a laptop or playing a DS Lite or something. But I never saw anyone doing anything of the such. I even tried doing such things hoping to get others' attention. Worked about as well as growing vegetables in a desert. Meaning, it didn't work at all.

Just because you can make friends easily doesn't mean the rest of us can. Like I said, we're all different. I really find it offensive that you think it should be so easy for us when it isn't.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Do you honestly think I would've used myself as an example if I was good at making friends? I'm not exactly a social butterfly, you know - I'm not that arrogant. All I'm saying is that college is an opportunity that makes it really fucking easy to meet people.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I've looked into joining a club, but all that I can find (all the ones clearly advertised, at least) are either religious, cultural, or have to do with green energy, sustainability, etc. Since I'm a non-religious white male with no interest in the aforementioned topics, I guess I'm hosed :P I'll keep looking, though. I suppose its only a matter of time before I come across people with similar interests. I think I was just spoiled back home, where I was friends with the increasingly rare breed of nerds who love to read, play video games, and talk about nerdy stuff, but also have a respectable degree of social skills (read: weren't complete strangers to members of the opposite sex), and practiced good hygiene. All the fellow nerds I've met so far were a bit lacking in the last two areas.

I guess I'll just wait and talk to whoever I feel comfortable around. Once I meet a few people I imagine it will be much easier to meet more.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Do you honestly think I would've used myself as an example if I was good at making friends? I'm not exactly a social butterfly, you know - I'm not that arrogant. All I'm saying is that college is an opportunity that makes it really fucking easy to meet people.
    Well, it didn't make it any easier for me. That's all I'm saying.

On another topic, I got a Keldeo in Pokemon Black at Gamestop today! WOOT! He's my favorite Pokemon, as you can probably tell. <3

Lost Time Memory Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Hey everyone, how's everything going.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

I'm happy cause I got a Keldeo! :D

And that I'm about to watch Spooky Buddies, a movie I've been wanting to see for awhile, especially since Halloween is close. I'm a big fan of the Air Buddies series. Those puppies of Air Bud's are just so CUTE!

I feel so much spring... Cabaret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Look who's back.

And I've got new tricks up my sleeve. Trust me.