Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 158

Page 158 of 399 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 5977
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Our society in America is completely broken in terms of education having an effect on your eligibility for jobs. It seems the less education you have, the more willing people are to hire you.

Take my friend Mary Jo. She dropped out of high school in the middle of junior year. She has no skills of any kind, yet somehow she's landed a job as assistant manager at a local supermarket. Meanwhile my mom, who has a PhD in bio-chemistry, a master's degree in robotics and is a licensed physical therapist has only been able to find a job as a secretary ever since the economy crashed after 9/11 and her job was "downsized". Talk about fair, eh?

Even the most simple of entry level jobs always require two to three years of experience or other qualifications that you seemingly can't get unless you break the law or cut some sort of deal. They offer minimum wage for tasks that are honestly above that and usually offer no benefits of any kind. And people wonder why our job market is in the gutter.

It's gotten to the point where my mom is thinking of moving over seas to a country where her skills are actually in high demand and short supply, because she certainly isn't going to be getting a job over here anytime soon, and that's just sad for someone who's invested so much of her time and effort into bettering herself than I'd say damn near 90% of the world.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Getting a job here in Denmark is also difficult at the moment because of the economic crash a few years back. And the example you've given, Caitlin, also happens here. There was one case where a student finished university as a scientists, yet the only work she could find was at a super market. My big brother on the other hand, doesn't have an education besides "folkeskole-eksamen" (I believe it's the same as middle school with an exam), yet he has 20 years of experience working, which is the very reason he can easily find work.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

If little education gets you a job, then why won't people hire me? I only have a high school degree and I'm available immediately and at any time. Education level must have some effect.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

@Caitlin; Your friend who is an assistant manager in a supermarket, surely didn't walk straight into that job, right? Presumably, first she was just a shelf stacker or something, and then worked her way up?

Admittedly, increasingly it seems like three years of experience at a non-graduate job might actually be a better investment of your time than getting a degree, and you'll be getting money instead of losing it.
    Lugion likes this.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

It's just not fair. I've worked so damn hard to get to where I am, and I'm getting desperate enough for a job that I'm actually considering looking at the Wal-Mart about 20 minutes away, but a good friend of mine - who, I might add, is flighty, hyper, about to start her fifth year of college after changing her major about as many times, spends all her time and money going to concerts or conventions, and who's life goal back in high school was to be on American Idol or some other reality show - is now personal friends with a semi-famous singer, served as the assistant director for his latest music video, and has been actually invited to join his band as a backup singer because he likes her voice. Did I mention that he's considering touring in Japan next year? But she was the social butterfly, so she gets everything she ever wanted plopped right into her lap while I'm struggling to find a shitty retail job.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Yeah, life's not fair, Feliciano.

My stepbrothers have god damn prison records, yet they've been able to find work just like that. And I'm still stuck with my parents!

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

You're still a minor, though, aren't you?

-_- Gotta love "rehabilitation programs" for people with criminal records...
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mama View Post
    @Caitlin; Your friend who is an assistant manager in a supermarket, surely didn't walk straight into that job, right? Presumably, first she was just a shelf stacker or something, and then worked her way up?

Admittedly, increasingly it seems like three years of experience at a non-graduate job might actually be a better investment of your time than getting a degree, and you'll be getting money instead of losing it.
    She was one of the cashiers for about two weeks before she was promoted.

Now, back in our high school days, she was a bit of a slut, so that may have something to do with her quick rise to a higher paying job than that my mother enjoys.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

I'm gonna need to get a part-time job when I start uni next year, but I shouldn't need to worry too much for a couple of years. Towards the middle/end of my degree I'm going to be looking at ways to get into a job with the department of foreign affairs, or an embassy somewhere or the likes.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    You're still a minor, though, aren't you?
    Um, no, I'm 21. And didn't I just say that I had a high school degree, and gone to college, but failed there? xP

Blog Entries

Well, some degrees are more desirable than others. For example, an Engineering degree is more desirable in today's economy than an English degree, which is why I'm going into Computer Science, as opposed to Creative Writing.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

ERMERGERD!!!!!!!!!! Looks like I came back just in time.

So I finally got to do something fun this summer after a number of incidents that I won't complain about here. My family and I went camping and hiking in Yosemite National Park in California. It was tons of fun. Anyway, I saw a sign that I though would interest/amuse some people here. It was an old fashioned caution sign, but rather than saying "STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGE" it said something like this:

"It's five hundred feet straight down and no undertaker to meet you. TAKE NO CHANCES. There is a difference between bravery and just plain foolishness."

It made me think, if caution signs were still that eloquent, maybe more people would pay attention to them. On the other hand, more people may just ignore them.

On the topic of jobs and degrees, I'm looking to get an electrical engineering degree at a university that tries very hard to set their students up with companies before they even graduate. I'm hoping that it will all work out, assuming I work hard. If not, then I'll just become a famous musician and travel the world ;)

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Best warning sign I ever saw was in a zoo in Australia: "Do not climb on the railing. If you fall, the crocodile will eat you. Seriously, it's a carnivore. Don't be an idiot."
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

The awards look dead.