Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 125
Page 125 of 558 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 8364

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

  1. #1861

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    (I still can't quote things, because this laptop is stupid and evil aaaargh I can't wait until I get back to my computer.)

    By 'confident' I didn't mean confident in my ability to write, I meant confident in my ability to keep writing the story and not get bored and wander off to do something different. I have a terrible attention span. (I am an extremely mediocre writer, but I am entirely unbothered by this.)

    (Also: aaaw, no-one's going to make fun of me? That sucks. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who can be bothered to make fun of me, and it's very lonely.)

    FF.N is quite different. Virtually all the reviews over there are some variation of 'cool story, bro. plz write moar', which... doesn't really help. I like in-depth reviews, especially the ones which are largely negative, so... FF.N just doesn't do it for me. And people over there are really hypersensitive when if comes to criticism! Even the ones who aren't hypersensitive don't like to take it - true story, I knew someone over there who near-constantly got told 'start a new paragraph each time someone speaks', and it took her about two years to finally start doing that. The whole place is just impossibly depressing.
    I have an art thread!

  2. #1862
    Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,151
    Blog Entries
    68

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by R0-S3 View Post
    (I still can't quote things, because this laptop is stupid and evil aaaargh I can't wait until I get back to my computer.)

    By 'confident' I didn't mean confident in my ability to write, I meant confident in my ability to keep writing the story and not get bored and wander off to do something different. I have a terrible attention span. (I am an extremely mediocre writer, but I am entirely unbothered by this.)

    (Also: aaaw, no-one's going to make fun of me? That sucks. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who can be bothered to make fun of me, and it's very lonely.)

    FF.N is quite different. Virtually all the reviews over there are some variation of 'cool story, bro. plz write moar', which... doesn't really help. I like in-depth reviews, especially the ones which are largely negative, so... FF.N just doesn't do it for me. And people over there are really hypersensitive when if comes to criticism! Even the ones who aren't hypersensitive don't like to take it - true story, I knew someone over there who near-constantly got told 'start a new paragraph each time someone speaks', and it took her about two years to finally start doing that. The whole place is just impossibly depressing.
    I suppose that is somewhat to be expected with the larger communities. Be sure to post in the Review Exchange once you start your story. From what I've seen, reviews garnered through the Review Exchange tend to be far more in depth.

  3. #1863
    Registered User Caitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Question. I've been thinking of posting something new (that Star Trek thing I ranted about awhile back), but there's one thing that has plagued all of my postings that I want to fix.

    How do I make paragraphs on these forums? Indentation makes things a lot easier for me to read, but every attempt I've made so far looks silly or doesn't work properly. Using indentations shifts the entire block of text over, which is what I want to avoid. So far I've just been using, for example:


    - - - - - Andrea and Larson were peacefully sleeping under a palm tree on the sandy coast of Silvermist City. Beside them was Furball, snoring loudly as he was curled around a coconut that was beginning to sprout. The sun had just begun to rise over the horizon, obscured by hazy clouds. The rising tide brought the crashing waves closer towards the rocky cliffs, waking Andrea up.

    - - - - - She looked at her R-Kit and groaned. "6:57 AM... <i>greaaaaaat.</i>" She stood up and brushed the sand off of her clothes, yawning. "Hey, wake up." she said, pushing at Larson's shoulder.

    - - - - - Larson turned to the side, making a bizarre noise.



    I still looks quite distracting, and the forum automatically removes tab characters. Or am I worrying about this little thing too much?

    Edit: I threw in double spacing, as that's something I don't use when writing but (often) use when posting stuff.

    My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

  4. #1864
    Secret Sword of Justice Kelleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,394
    Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Question. I've been thinking of posting something new (that Star Trek thing I ranted about awhile back), but there's one thing that has plagued all of my postings that I want to fix.

    How do I make paragraphs on these forums? Indentation makes things a lot easier for me to read, but every attempt I've made so far looks silly or doesn't work properly. Using indentations shifts the entire block of text over, which is what I want to avoid. So far I've just been using, for example:


    - - - - - Andrea and Larson were peacefully sleeping under a palm tree on the sandy coast of Silvermist City. Beside them was Furball, snoring loudly as he was curled around a coconut that was beginning to sprout. The sun had just begun to rise over the horizon, obscured by hazy clouds. The rising tide brought the crashing waves closer towards the rocky cliffs, waking Andrea up.

    - - - - - She looked at her R-Kit and groaned. "6:57 AM... <i>greaaaaaat.</i>" She stood up and brushed the sand off of her clothes, yawning. "Hey, wake up." she said, pushing at Larson's shoulder.

    - - - - - Larson turned to the side, making a bizarre noise.



    I still looks quite distracting, and the forum automatically removes tab characters. Or am I worrying about this little thing too much?

    Edit: I threw in double spacing, as that's something I don't use when writing but (often) use when posting stuff.
    Use indent tags. I do all the time, though I use it to indent the entire chapter so it's separated from the other text in my posts. To intend a single line, just use the tags on that line.

    Like this.

    The tags: [INDENT*][/INDENT]

    Just remove the asterisk.

  5. #1865
    Reality is a dream TheLlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    However doing as you say, @Kelleo; the whole paragraph will be indented, and that is what @Caitlin; wanted to avoid. To answer: There is no feasible way to indent only the first line of a paragraph.

    ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' Doing like this however seems to work very well. What I have done here is to change the text colour of whatever fill I used to create the indent (mark the indent/look very closely and you'll see a row of apostrophes) to the colour of the forum background. That may be an issue since there are differing forum themes, but for everyone using the standard theme it looks just about right.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

    "You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

    "Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

    The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.


  6. #1866
    Secret Sword of Justice Kelleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,394
    Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    However doing as you say, @Kelleo; the whole paragraph will be indented, and that is what @Caitlin; wanted to avoid. To answer: There is no feasible way to indent only the first line of a paragraph.
    Uh, I said SINGLE LINE. Not WHOLE PARAGRAPH. o_O

    I'll use a piece of your post to show what I mean.

    "Doing like this however seems to work very well. What I have done here is to change the text colour of whatever fill I used to
    create the indent (mark the indent/look very closely and you'll see a row of apostrophes) to the colour of the forum background. That may be an issue since there are differing forum themes, but for everyone using the standard theme it looks just about right."

    There you go. It's just a matter of figuring out where to place the end of the tag and that isn't too difficult. Preview the post BEFORE adding the ending tag and you'll see which word you have to put it after.

  7. #1867
    The First Homunculus Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Or you could hit the spacebar 5 times before you post it...

    ;P

  8. #1868
    commie bastard. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    florida, usa
    Posts
    1,196
    Blog Entries
    254
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    KADSA. wait what are we talking about i wasn't listening lol.

    i'm slacking off and being lazy. summer break=laziness and being a derp. i'll try to get some motivation to write today or something ffffff. ever since the awards my passion has flattened pretty much.

    ugh. i just keep thinking that what i'm doing is all for shit and that i'm a terrible writer and that i should just give up. everyone on here practically ignores my stories; even the pokemon fan-fictions. pfffff.

    sorry for being all emo and b'aaawwwing it's just a gloomy day and i'm disappointed with everything right now. auuugh.

    brb writing up my shitty fan-fic. asdf. *flops over*

    tumblr.|ao3.|ff.net.|8tracks.
    .self-assured mutual destruction.

  9. #1869
    CEO of the Monsters Lugion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,848
    Blog Entries
    99

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Oh my God, Navi is the worst thing in any video game ever.

  10. #1870
    The First Homunculus Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Why? I mean, it never REALLY bothered me, but it was quite a bitch.

    What'd do this time?

  11. #1871
    Secret Sword of Justice Kelleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,394
    Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Why? I mean, it never REALLY bothered me, but it was quite a bitch.

    What'd do this time?
    Navi has a gender, you know. xP

    Anyway, I like her, honestly. I've never found her annoying in the least bit. Now Tatl is a different story. >_>

  12. #1872
    Reality is a dream TheLlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    However doing as you say, @Kelleo; the whole paragraph will be indented, and that is what @Caitlin; wanted to avoid. To answer: There is no feasible way to indent only the first line of a paragraph.
    Uh, I said SINGLE LINE. Not WHOLE PARAGRAPH. o_O

    I'll use a piece of your post to show what I mean.

    "Doing like this however seems to work very well. What I have done here is to change the text colour of whatever fill I used to
    create the indent (mark the indent/look very closely and you'll see a row of apostrophes) to the colour of the forum background. That may be an issue since there are differing forum themes, but for everyone using the standard theme it looks just about right."

    There you go. It's just a matter of figuring out where to place the end of the tag and that isn't too difficult. Preview the post BEFORE adding the ending tag and you'll see which word you have to put it after.
    That doesn't fit in at all with my forum size - the line ends way before the border of the post, so it looks extremely weird. And therein lies the problem - your method fails because people view the forum in with different sizes, my method fails because there are differing colour themes (as far as I remember, anyway). So, like I said, there is no feasible way. Mine is as good/bad as yours ;P

    Oh, and when you said "line" I thought you referred to a single line standing alone (since that's what your example looked like), not the first line of a paragraph. It seemed kind of implied in what you said, thus me misunderstanding what you meant to say.

    @Red; it deletes those spaces upon posting, so no, that doesn't work.

    @Lady Lucifer; well, if you're writing for your own enjoyment then people's attention doesn't matter. And if you write to get attention, well... there's no use in doing anything for that sake alone; attention comes naturally from doing what you enjoy; someone's bound to notice eventually ;) Moreover, even if it's all "for shit", so what? If you enjoy writing then that's all that matters; take that enjoyment. And if you don't enjoy writing, well, there's absolutely no reason to do it in the first place :P

    @Lugion; Oh God. HEY LISTEN! HEY LISTEN! HEY LISTEN!
    Someone on my morning bus has her as a message tone I so wanna kill that person

    @Kelleo; Oh? Tatl had a slightly annoying personality, but I generally enjoyed seeing her character develop through the game. What about her didn't you like?
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

    "You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

    "Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

    The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.


  13. #1873
    Secret Sword of Justice Kelleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,394
    Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    @Kelleo; Oh? Tatl had a slightly annoying personality, but I generally enjoyed seeing her character develop through the game. What about her didn't you like?
    The only thing Tatl had over Navi was having more of a personality. I just didn't LIKE that personality. I found it annoying. I also didn't like the ringing noise she made. Also really annoying. And if you're in Ikana Canyon and wearing the Garo Mask, she says that she senses their presence and repeats this like every five seconds. WAY more annoying than Navi repeating something every hour or so.

  14. #1874
    CEO of the Monsters Lugion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,848
    Blog Entries
    99

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    The thing about Navi is she has been useless when I really need her. I just died against Barinade earlier, because she's wouldn't lock on to the damn thing while I was trying not to lose my last heart to his electric attack.

  15. #1875
    Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pokemon Stadium
    Posts
    5,850
    Blog Entries
    55

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Navi's also a big help when fishing too
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

    SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •