Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 123

Page 123 of 400 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 5993
Like Tree760Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

  1. #1831
    Secret Sword of Justice Kelleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,998
    Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    @Kelleo; I'm glad you found my review helpful, I often worry that I'm too harsh.
    No problem! And you weren't harsh in the least bit. Honest, I did not get that vibe from you at all. :)

  2. #1832
    Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    797
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Now that I think about it, reviews need to be harsh from time to time. However, it's like balancing on the edge of a knife. If you're not careful, reviews can turn from constructive to downright insulting to the writer. And no one likes being insulted.
    Revolutionaryverse


    Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

    ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

  3. #1833
    Secret Sword of Justice Kelleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,998
    Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tophat Dragoneye View Post
    Now that I think about it, reviews need to be harsh from time to time. However, it's like balancing on the edge of a knife. If you're not careful, reviews can turn from constructive to downright insulting to the writer. And no one likes being insulted.
    Yeah, there was this one guy awhile back who gave me a pretty harsh review for Dawn of Darkness. He pretty much said the story was shit and that it read like god damn Twilight. I knew the latter was impossible, because I have never read a Twilight book, nor seen any of the movies. I was insulted at first, but then he calmed down and restated what he'd said in a more constructive manner, though it was still a bit harsh. And I listened to him and improved the first chapter.

  4. #1834
    The First Homunculus Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    I don't recall receiving a harsh review yet. I usually get good reviews and reviews that give criticism, but in a nice way. That's the best way to receive criticism imo, but I still learn as much as someone who receives harsh criticism.

    It still feels good knowing your getting either positive reviews being praised or good reviews giving you things to fix :D

  5. #1835
    RAGE MODE: ON R0-S3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    53

    Follow R0-S3 on Tumblr

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    I am a hideously harsh reviewer, but if I mention something then it's because it's a genuine issue with the story, not just because I feel like being randomly horrible. I get frustrated trying to explain this to people, though, and I'm not about to sand my rough edges off for random internet people (I don't even sand my rough edges off for my best friend, but apparently he likes my bitchcritic style?? idek whatever, it's no weirder than him wanting to be my friend in the first place) so I usually only review stories when authors have specifically requested me to do so. I take the view that if they're asking for it, they should be able to handle it.

    I've stolen my brothers' laptop to type this, and it's reminded me how much I hate typing on laptops. I'm sorry, I just can't handle living in this world any more: tell my wife and kids I love th--
    I have an art thread!

  6. #1836
    sink. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    florida, usa
    Posts
    1,163
    Blog Entries
    253
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    i can be harsh when i want to be (most of the time i am lol). though it's kind of odd because i'm not the best writer myself /sob.

  7. #1837
    The First Homunculus Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Nothing like spending an evening blasting rap music. Ahhhhhhhh :33333

    Anyways, I don't really tend to be harsh. I know it seems selfish, but I have trouble reading other peoples' fics, besides a couple. I rarely give reviews, but I try to be helpful without being too much of an asshole when I do.

  8. #1838
    Woof Thabet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    465
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    I generally dislike overly harsh reviewers, even if they are helpful. Think of it this way. The writer has displayed effort, he/she sat there and wrote something down, even though they were under no pressure to do so, with no benefit to be gained other than a profound sense of accomplishment and happiness. Nevertheless, all the reviewer has to do is sit down and read, when they're done, if they feel like it, they comment about they like and what they didn't.

    Personally, when I look it that way, I see no reason to be harsh with the writer, or insult them in any way. That being said, there is such a thing as being honest, firm and never sugar-coating it. In the end, the reviewer aims to help the writer improve.

    First off, the best thing to be is objective. So you may not like the genre or plot, that's ok, but don't say it's 'shit' or 'bad', that's opinion not fact. Secondly, be honest, if you see something off, you say so, don't kiss ass or disregard anything, doing that means defeating the whole purpose of reviewing, assisting the process of improvement.

    But the keyword here is RESPECTFUL. Respect the writer, respect their effort, respect the work itself.
    Last edited by Thabet; 4th June 2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Pride, Gama, Flaze and 1 others like this.

  9. #1839
    Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,153
    Blog Entries
    68

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by R0-S3 View Post
    I am a hideously harsh reviewer, but if I mention something then it's because it's a genuine issue with the story, not just because I feel like being randomly horrible. I get frustrated trying to explain this to people, though, and I'm not about to sand my rough edges off for random internet people (I don't even sand my rough edges off for my best friend, but apparently he likes my bitchcritic style?? idek whatever, it's no weirder than him wanting to be my friend in the first place) so I usually only review stories when authors have specifically requested me to do so. I take the view that if they're asking for it, they should be able to handle it.

    I've stolen my brothers' laptop to type this, and it's reminded me how much I hate typing on laptops. I'm sorry, I just can't handle living in this world any more: tell my wife and kids I love th--
    See, I think it's all well and good wanting to point out the genuine issues with a story, but if you do it in a harsh way, people are going to be too upset/pissed off to actually take the criticism in. When people piss you off, you take an automatic disliking to them, and try to defend yourself. When people criticise my work in a way that I find rude or offensive, I find myself automatically leaping to my own defence (I can't always see this at the time, but can more easily when I look back at the events), whereas when people give me the same level of criticisms, but frame it in a nice way, I can actually easily take in what they're saying and use it to improve myself.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is, pointing out the flaws and explaining how they can be improved is, in my opinion, only part of a good review. You also have to frame it in a way that the author is going to be able to use it easily. A lot of people like to say "I say the genuine problems with the fic, they need to be able to deal with it", but if you genuinely want to help a writer, that's not what you should be doing. The fact is that giving the really harsh, rude review that does genuinely point out all the flaws with a fic is just plain easier (and more fun) to write - it doesn't make you cool and it doesn't make you clever, anyone can be rude. The challenge in writing a review is getting your point across in a polite manner that is digestible for a reader. That is what makes a good reviewer. I'm not saying that I do it, as I've said I'm often concerned that I cross into rudeness (I'm glad Kelleo was happy with her review from me, but that doesn't mean that I've been as effective in all my reviews), but I certainly think this is what you should be aiming for when reviewing.

  10. #1840
    Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pokemon Stadium
    Posts
    5,592
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    What I like to do is phrase my criticism in the form of a question (eg. "I noticed X in this paragraph, is there a reason why you did this?") This way, the authors have a chance to tell you why they did what they did--what looks like a flaw to a reviewer could be artistic reason for the author
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

    SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

  11. #1841
    J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    982
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    I've never had a terribly harsh review. A few of my first reviews were critical, but rightly so. So I can't really say how I'd respond. As for my own reviews of other's works... to be honest, I feel like I'm not harsh enough. I'm too easily entertained and satisfied. I do my best to point out problems, but I'm too nice to be very critical.

    @R0-S3; I just realized: R0-S3... ROSE. And here I was thinking that you were named after some obscure droid from Star Wars. *Facepalm* My slowness at times surprises me.
    Pride likes this.

    Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    * * * * *
    Find me on Soundcloud

  12. #1842
    The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Why do you care
    Posts
    59,628
    Blog Entries
    151
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    I remember my first review ever was probably the harshest review I've never had too xD though granted I was a sucky writer back then. That was back when Blackjack Gabbiani was the only mod of the then Fanfic Corner and boy was she harsh, I have to admit she stuck with me for a while but her reviews were always kinda rude.

    That being said I'm not harsh with my reviews, actually I should be harsher xD I usually point out what I like or didn't like in an honest manner. Sometimes I can like a story but I can still point out the bad things and sometimes I don't. I honestly wish I was a harsher reviwere :( I feel like my reviews suck.

  13. #1843
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,161
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Well, Blackjack was always a little...abrasive :/

    Honestly, to me, it all comes down to whether or not the review was helpful. Once you know how to look for the things reviewers are actually trying to say (which might be very different from what they write), the tone of the review really doesn't matter. If people are gonna bitch, they're gonna bitch.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  14. #1844
    RAGE MODE: ON R0-S3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    53

    Follow R0-S3 on Tumblr

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    This stupid laptop keeps crying whenever I try to quote posts, aaargh :I

    See, the reason why I write harsh reviews is because I am Ass Burger Girl with a c-c-c-combo hit of a naturally abrasive personality, no brain-to-mouth-filter, minimal ability to pretend to be a functional human being, asbolutely no empathy whatsoever, and a deepy-imbedded desire to give zero fucks, because in my opinion anyone who throws a tantrum about a less-than-polite review on their pokemon fanfic is taking fandom far, far too seriously.

    I have tried - really, genuinely tried - to give reviews nicely, and without any bitchiness, but I have literally no idea what's socially appropriate to say, and there are people out there who will take offense at any criticism of their fic, no matter how politely-worded. So on the whole, it's simply too confusing for me to deal with and I don't want to expend valuable pretending-to-be-a-functional-human-being energy on people I don't even know and will probably never interact with again.

    I really don't just want to stop reviewing, because it's something I genuinely enjoy doing - taking a story apart and looking at how it works and what the problems are - and it's also something I find very soothing and comforting to do if I'm unhappy.

    So I only review people who ask for it and are presumably aware that I am a horrible person, because doing it that way creates maximum benefit along with minimum life stress on my side and minimum tantrums on the other person's side.
    Last edited by R0-S3; 5th June 2012 at 05:09 AM.
    I have an art thread!

  15. #1845
    Wordsmith unrepentantAuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    United Kingdom/Hoenn
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    The first review I ever got told me that I was a terrible writer. That was very upsetting.

    Kelleo, I'm glad you found my review helpful, I often worry that I'm too harsh.
    There's never a need to tell the writer they're terrible. The story may be terrible to you, it may even be terrible to everyone, but that doesn't mean the author should be defamed. They can improve, after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by R0-S3 View Post
    tell my wife and kids I love th--
    <3 Love you too. ;P

    Quote Originally Posted by Thabet View Post
    I generally dislike overly harsh reviewers, even if they are helpful. Think of it this way. The writer has displayed effort, he/she sat there and wrote something down, even though they were under no pressure to do so, with no benefit to be gained other than a profound sense of accomplishment and happiness. Nevertheless, all the reviewer has to do is sit down and read, when they're done, if they feel like it, they comment about they like and what they didn't.

    Personally, when I look it that way, I see no reason to be harsh with the writer, or insult them in any way. That being said, there is such a thing as being honest, firm and never sugar-coating it. In the end, the reviewer aims to help the writer improve.

    First off, the best thing to be is objective. So you may not like the genre or plot, that's ok, but don't say it's 'shit' or 'bad', that's opinion not fact. Secondly, be honest, if you see something off, you say so, don't kiss ass or disregard anything, doing that means defeating the whole purpose of reviewing, assisting the process of improvement.

    But the keyword here is RESPECTFUL. Respect the writer, respect their effort, respect the work itself.
    There's a lot to say to this, mm. Firstly, the writer may not have displayed effort, and they may have intended to gain the benefit of a lot of positive reviews. I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever been to FFN. Or, they may want to get good enough to publish, and publishers will be even harsher. Secondly, harsh reviewing does not mean 'insulting': firm candour, as you describe, is what I endorse but is viewed by many as harsh. But that's mere semantics. You're right to say that the review's purpose is to improve; if the review is unhelpful, it's useless.

    I also must agree with your assertion on genre. When reviewing, one must review on the writer's own terms - who the love interest is is not an aspect up for debate, but the description of such certainly is. Critique how good the writing is, not what it is. (The exception being if the content is horribly offensive.)

    And yes, respect is key. I cannot stress enough how much respect is to be valued. Thanks for bringing attention to this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    See, I think it's all well and good wanting to point out the genuine issues with a story, but if you do it in a harsh way, people are going to be too upset/pissed off to actually take the criticism in. When people piss you off, you take an automatic disliking to them, and try to defend yourself. When people criticise my work in a way that I find rude or offensive, I find myself automatically leaping to my own defence (I can't always see this at the time, but can more easily when I look back at the events), whereas when people give me the same level of criticisms, but frame it in a nice way, I can actually easily take in what they're saying and use it to improve myself.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is, pointing out the flaws and explaining how they can be improved is, in my opinion, only part of a good review. You also have to frame it in a way that the author is going to be able to use it easily. A lot of people like to say "I say the genuine problems with the fic, they need to be able to deal with it", but if you genuinely want to help a writer, that's not what you should be doing. The fact is that giving the really harsh, rude review that does genuinely point out all the flaws with a fic is just plain easier (and more fun) to write - it doesn't make you cool and it doesn't make you clever, anyone can be rude. The challenge in writing a review is getting your point across in a polite manner that is digestible for a reader. That is what makes a good reviewer. I'm not saying that I do it, as I've said I'm often concerned that I cross into rudeness (I'm glad Kelleo was happy with her review from me, but that doesn't mean that I've been as effective in all my reviews), but I certainly think this is what you should be aiming for when reviewing.
    In my honest opinion, people who get pissed off because an anonymous poster disliked their story are taking the internet too seriously. I'd understand if the reviewer was rude, or offensive, but harshness alone doesn't necessarily equate to that. And even so, the criticism is either valid or invalid, in which case, I think, one should either take it to heart or just disregard it. Don't get upset, cause haters gonna hate. My response to useless or inflammatory reviews is usually "troll harder," but I've yet to get such things here.

    It's very true, though, that the review cannot simply state that there are flaws. The flaws must be identified, explained, and have solutions suggested in order to be as helpful as possible. The most insulting thing, I think, is when a reviewer claims you have flaws, but refuses to say what they are or how to improve - without seeming to realise that if the flaws exist, they probably aren't visible - or solvable - to the reader.

    Lastly, GaMa, your review of DE was one of more measured, helpful ones I've received. It's exactly the sort of critique I appreciate most. Not rude at all~

    Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    What I like to do is phrase my criticism in the form of a question (eg. "I noticed X in this paragraph, is there a reason why you did this?") This way, the authors have a chance to tell you why they did what they did--what looks like a flaw to a reviewer could be artistic reason for the author
    It's good to make suggestions rather than assert your opinion as if it were immutable fact, though if an 'artistic choice' looks like a flaw, it could probably use improvement.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •