Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 116

Page 116 of 399 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 5981
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Well blow me down and slap me sideways. That was...unexpected.
    *blows you down, slaps you sideways ;D* I know the feeling! It is glorious.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Writer's Workshop staff (plus Hide in Plain Sight, who was part of the judging panel) made the decision that the award should go to one person only. I can't directly speak for everyone else in terms of reasoning, but my personal opinion is that, as uA says, giving out multiple of the same award would devalue it. Kelleo, you said yourself that if it was a three way tie, then judging should decide it, but I find I find the difference between two and three far more arbitrary than the difference between one and two. Additionally, the mods are all WW users too, and none of them voted themselves before the tiebreaker was necessary.

Similarly with your suggestion to show runner ups as well as winners... I think it becomes difficult not to show all the nominations if we show the runner ups, I think we ought to show everyone, as I think there is rarely a greater difference between 1st and 2nd than there is between 2nd and 3rd and often there isn't a difference between second and third at all. I also think it's better to have the Hall of Fame with as little clutter as possible. I don't think it's necessary to honour second place. (Last season I just missed out on the only Award I was nominated for, and I'm quite happy for my fic to not be mentioned in the Hall of Fame - it didn't win, so I don't see why it should be.) I think every time we try to make the Awards recognise more people, it devalues the Awards. It is supposed to be very difficult to get into the Hall of Fame, and it supposed to be very difficult to get an Award. We have had more inclusive Awards systems in the past, and the general enthusiasm for them was significantly lower than these last two have been.

At any rate, I very much appreciate your suggestions.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    The Writer's Workshop staff (plus Hide in Plain Sight, who was part of the judging panel) made the decision that the award should go to one person only. I can't directly speak for everyone else in terms of reasoning, but my personal opinion is that, as uA says, giving out multiple of the same award would devalue it. Kelleo, you said yourself that if it was a three way tie, then judging should decide it, but I find I find the difference between two and three far more arbitrary than the difference between one and two. Additionally, the mods are all WW users too, and none of them voted themselves before the tiebreaker was necessary.

Similarly with your suggestion to show runner ups as well as winners... I think it becomes difficult not to show all the nominations if we show the runner ups, I think we ought to show everyone, as I think there is rarely a greater difference between 1st and 2nd than there is between 2nd and 3rd and often there isn't a difference between second and third at all. I also think it's better to have the Hall of Fame with as little clutter as possible. I don't think it's necessary to honour second place. (Last season I just missed out on the only Award I was nominated for, and I'm quite happy for my fic to not be mentioned in the Hall of Fame - it didn't win, so I don't see why it should be.) I think every time we try to make the Awards recognise more people, it devalues the Awards. It is supposed to be very difficult to get into the Hall of Fame, and it supposed to be very difficult to get an Award. We have had more inclusive Awards systems in the past, and the general enthusiasm for them was significantly lower than these last two have been.

At any rate, I very much appreciate your suggestions.
    Alright, I understand. I was only making suggestions, after all.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    *blows you down, slaps you sideways ;D* I know the feeling! It is glorious.
    Heh, I wasn't being literal I slept really badly last night (I love it when stomach issues decide to manifest at 5:30 am...), so I still feel a little out of it. That's partially why I'm so stunned that I actually managed to get nominated, let alone win (most of it has to do with plain old lack of ability to recognize any ability I might have, of course )
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Obviously, uA was chosen because of his excellent lemons. I had a joke to make about the mods here, but I think it falls under "Inappropriate Content."

These awards depressed me. This is the first awards season where I haven't read a majority of the winners. Time to amend that! Review storm coming your way, champs!
    Seizon Senryaku likes this.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Woo! I love reviews it'll make me feel better that chapter 8 isn't getting as much attention as usual (then again, I'm an attention whore )

"He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

So awards aside, how's everyone's day been going?

I've been spending the evening alternating between writing chapter 2 of Clandestine (now at 1500 words) and playing FIFA '12 :P
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    These awards depressed me. This is the first awards season where I haven't read a majority of the winners. Time to amend that! Review storm coming your way, champs!
    Well, I was fairly new at the time the awards started and my fic isn't Pokemon, so that might be why. xP

If you're familiar with the N64 Zelda games (and to a much smaller extent, Zelda: Twilight Princess), you should understand the story pretty well. :)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I just got back to treating some friends to dinner
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Oh, I'm watching yet more Law & Order: Special Victims Unit on Netflix. Skipped a few episodes that I'd seen and wasn't really interested in watching again because I wasn't too fond of them (hey, I love the show, but that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy every single episode. I do love most of them though). That one about the smuggling of cocaine in baby formula is one of my favorites.

I'm also waiting for my co-author to contact me again about the next Dawn of Darkness chapter. He's been taking a look at it. He can take his time, though, there's no rush, of course.

Blog Entries

My friend set up a small graduation party tonight, so I'm going to that.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'm probably going to throw on some Inuyasha to get ideas for monsters for Kinmura
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

I just went to the gym for an hour or two (a real one, not a Pokemon one) and bought a couple of DVDs. Got Bleach Season 1 and THX 1138, both of which I'm really excited about. In other news, my core muscles are protesting loudly.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Blog Entries

I would be eternally grateful if I could get my scores posted, even though I didn't win. I still want to know exactly what my readers think I'm doing wrong so I can fix it.

And, by the way, I graduated from high school today. So there's that.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Okay, I'm officially freaked out at this SVU episode I just watched.

The plot was to solve 11 murders done by the same guys. ELEVEN. And two kidnappings, done by same guys as well. Even that other episode where a guy with advanced syphilis killed four random people in less than a day doesn't compare to this. Yeesh.