Writer's Block Queries

Thread: Writer's Block Queries

Default Writer's Block Queries

So, I'm in the middle of a patch on intense writer's block, made worse by the fact that the scenes coming up after that are practically writing themselves. What do you guys do when you're in the middle of some serious writer's block?

Also - If anyone is available for beta-ing please contact me. I could definitely use someone besides close friends to bounce ideas off of.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange
    No matter what you do, I will be who I will be. The question is, who are you?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Block Queries

First thing I do when I'm in writers block is read. A book, a fic, a magazine, anything.

Its not that I'm looking to copy someone else's ideas, but sometimes getting away from my own writing helps me refocus.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

At times I skip ahead to the bits I really want to write and then come back to the bits that aren't flowing so well afterwards. I find it's easier to write once I'm in the flow of things.

What GM says, is what I do. I write what comes to me, though I try to keep on track as much as possible. If I have a writer's block, I tend to seek a change in environment. Writing in a cafe, on a bus, a train, at school; anywhere else than where I usually write.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

What I do is just relax, clear my mind, maybe listen to some music (that fits the genre of the story) then I run the train of events through my mind and think of the best thing to do next.

COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    At times I skip ahead to the bits I really want to write and then come back to the bits that aren't flowing so well afterwards. I find it's easier to write once I'm in the flow of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    What GM says, is what I do. I write what comes to me, though I try to keep on track as much as possible. If I have a writer's block, I tend to seek a change in environment. Writing in a cafe, on a bus, a train, at school; anywhere else than where I usually write.
    Both of these sound like great ideas. I was worried about skipping ahead because I would like to try and get chapters out quickly, but moving to something that I can write at the moment is probably the best idea. Writing somewhere else sounds like a good idea too - thanks!

What I do is just relax, clear my mind, maybe listen to some music (that fits the genre of the story) then I run the train of events through my mind and think of the best thing to do next.
    The only problem with music is I'm awful at finding it - I have a list of songs and I deviate from it a bit, but I can never find any music that fits what I'm trying to write, when I'm trying to write.

Legacy
    First thing I do when I'm in writers block is read. A book, a fic, a magazine, anything.

Its not that I'm looking to copy someone else's ideas, but sometimes getting away from my own writing helps me refocus.
    I might try this - I've got some good books that I haven't read yet, I might just take a short break to get outside of my story/genre.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange
    No matter what you do, I will be who I will be. The question is, who are you?

Traceur
    Blog Entries

I will read everything I have written on the current project, write anything short that comes to mind, and maybe read a bit of something else. This gets the right mindset going for me most of the time.