Workshop Directory - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Workshop Directory

Blog Entries

Default Re: Workshop Directory

I would add that perhaps the directory for archived fics could be stickied directly in the archive forum, just to avoid confusion and clutter.

Otherwise, I'm on board with GMa's idea. Sounds great and exciting.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosj2 View Post
    I prefer GM's version of the directory as it will run smoother for the people viewing it since if you're going to click on each link just to get the information, wouldn't it thus be easier to just have members write the genre with the title and use the search engine instead? The only thing someone could complain about would be the mod's workload would be bigger using GM's way, but that could be resolved by spreading the workload amongst the mods or simply having one day a week when its all done.
    In terms of workload... I imagine that there would be an initial burst in workload but that it would level out. There are enough WW mods currently active that, once it has levelled out, it shouldn't be too hard if we are all reasonably vigilant in terms of updating it.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like anyone objects to this idea so I think we can safely say that we will go ahead with it but, as I said, I think there will be an initial burst in which it will cause a lot of work so I think it would be wise to leave actually creating the directory until after the upcoming Awards.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I like both ideas, in a way, as whilst I like the idea of us being able to control our own stories, I don't think it would be particularly easy to navigate and could simply result in popular authors getting attention.

If to choose one, I would chose Gama's, but one thing I am not sure about is what content we would submit: do we make a post every time the story has a new chapter, or is that something the moderator does?

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    I like both ideas, in a way, as whilst I like the idea of us being able to control our own stories, I don't think it would be particularly easy to navigate and could simply result in popular authors getting attention.

If to choose one, I would chose Gama's, but one thing I am not sure about is what content we would submit: do we make a post every time the story has a new chapter, or is that something the moderator does?
    In my mind, the easiest way would be for users to simply post whenever anything needs updating but I would hope that wouldn't need to be too frequently. I don't think the Directory would need to be updated every time there is a new chapter as, for the most part, it wouldn't really affect the entry. Things like, the rating changing (eg. from EVERYONE to TEEN), the genre changing a little or wanting to update the description are the kind of thing I had in mind when I said users could update their entries.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I'd hope the genre of the story wouldn't need changing though: would be a bit odd if halfway through the person went "Let's make this shipping into a steampunk" :P Not going to happen, I know, I just like my little laugh.

Is there a possible template we could see of what things will be included?

Blog Entries

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I'd hope the genre of the story wouldn't need changing though: would be a bit odd if halfway through the person went "Let's make this shipping into a steampunk" :P Not going to happen, I know, I just like my little laugh.

Is there a possible template we could see of what things will be included?
    As I said, I don't think we'll be implementing this before the end of the upcoming Awards (due to finish on the 3rd Feb iirc) so we probably won't have an actual template up too soon before then.

Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd probably want to include genre, a brief description, rating, a link and I can't think of much else... The title would probably help, I suppose.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So far, so good. I agree with the genre limitation rule; seems like an efficient way to keep a story from being on every list. I assume that after the thread is made, users will be able to ask questions in the comments, like the Rules thread, as well as request their stories to be catalogued. But is the rating really necessary? I do think that it matters and could affect decisions, but I also think that if it were to be included, it could make the list they are in seem jumbled, and bring forth arguments that people want their stories to be organised by rating, and not by genre, just a minor concern.

And I think the job could be a lot easier if you use the informations already recorded in Ghastly's Mama thread: Backstories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuujux View Post
    So far, so good. I agree with the genre limitation rule; seems like an efficient way to keep a story from being on every list. I assume that after the thread is made, users will be able to ask questions in the comments, like the Rules thread, as well as request their stories to be catalogued. But is the rating really necessary? I do think that it matters and could affect decisions, but I also think that if it were to be included, it could make the list they are in seem jumbled, and bring forth arguments that people want their stories to be organised by rating, and not by genre, just a minor concern.

And I think the job could be a lot easier if you use the informations already recorded in Ghastly's Mama thread: Backstories.
    Well, fics that are appropriate for everyone need not have their ratings included but since Mature and Teen fics require warnings, if there is a direct link that potentially skips any clear warnings they probably should have their rating on them.

As for using that old thread, I'd be reluctant to as it is quite outdated now and many of the fics on there are now long since finished and it would be a pain sorting through which are archived and which are not.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

This all sounds like a very good idea, but I have something to add. Perhaps instead of or in addition to summaries, we could have something akin to tags. For example, say I'm an old school fan so I want to read a journey fic that takes place in the game's 'verse in Kanto and at least features some canon characters. If I went to the journey fic genre, there would be plenty that I wouldn't want to read, but if they were labeled in a certain way, I could find exactly what I was looking for. Some examples for these tags would be 'verse (games, anime, original), region, characters (OCs or canon), as well as the other genres that the fic falls under. It's just an idea, though it might be too complicated.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    This all sounds like a very good idea, but I have something to add. Perhaps instead of or in addition to summaries, we could have something akin to tags. For example, say I'm an old school fan so I want to read a journey fic that takes place in the game's 'verse in Kanto and at least features some canon characters. If I went to the journey fic genre, there would be plenty that I wouldn't want to read, but if they were labeled in a certain way, I could find exactly what I was looking for. Some examples for these tags would be 'verse (games, anime, original), region, characters (OCs or canon), as well as the other genres that the fic falls under. It's just an idea, though it might be too complicated.
    Hmm... I'm not sure how this could be implemented other than asking people to think about these things when writing their descriptions.

Blog Entries

Tags seem very helpful, and they could be listed along with the description, like such:

• TEEN: A Journey Story by Author X: Follow Abigail as she learns that the journey to becoming Champion is harder that she had ever thought. Her adventures are filled with dire situations, and it seemed as if the weight of the world was resting on her shoulder. [Original Character, Johto, Game]

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    Hmm... I'm not sure how this could be implemented other than asking people to think about these things when writing their descriptions.
    That was what I was thinking, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuujux View Post
    Tags seem very helpful, and they could be listed along with the description, like such:
    Exactly! Personally, I would find that very helpful when browsing stories.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Exactly! Personally, I would find that very helpful when browsing stories.
    I'm for the idea of tags with the description, because if it makes it easier to search and find stories, it could increase readership. Though are we going to limit it to Character, Region, and Canon? Because if we just keep these three, it seems like a good idea; I can't think of anything else that would fit there that wouldn't fit in a genre, though I want to see what others suggest regarding that area.

EDIT: Instead of having a 'Alternate Universe' genre, it could be included in the tags under 'Canon', leaving room for more appropriate genres since we are setting a limit. I'm not sure about this idea though; whether 'Alternate Interpretation' should be a genre, tag, or even included at all, since FanFiction is basically just alternate views and interpretations.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

The tags idea would be a great addition, as I personally look for stuff like that when searching. Could possible tags also include details of where it relates, such as whether it is a gym, contest or different plot, and if it has villains at all which team they are, or is that a little much?

Blog Entries

The tags idea would be a great addition, as I personally look for stuff like that when searching. Could possible tags also include details of where it relates, such as whether it is a gym, contest or different plot, and if it has villains at all which team they are, or is that a little much?
    I think Gym or Contest would be explained in the two or three lines of description, so it won't be necessary to include them in the tags, not sure if the villainous team would be included, but I don't think it matters that much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast