Workshop Directory - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Workshop Directory

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Workshop Directory

But the goal of the Directory is for it to be a quick guide to the stories. Having each author write what they want in their post could make it work like a mini-Atlas, and it would require for those searching for stories to have to click through every link to get the summary, as opposed to having the few lines next to the story.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just had a quick read through this thread and here are my thoughts:

Firstly, I'd like to say, AT14, apologies for your idea being declined for the upcoming catalogue. I think, like Legacy, that was before my time as staff. I think the reason it was declined was because the CMS library was being developed at the time. I'm on the CMS team and I can say development has severely slowed. I think there's no reason why we can't develop something thread based to use, even if it does get replaced when a better version is created by the library (which is something that is a very real possibility)

In terms of being done by a moderator or by user posts. I think it should be done by user posts with the mods simply updating the first post. Realistically, I think if it is down to the mods to keep an eye on all the fics in the Workshop and keep their statuses updated, that's just not going to happen. If this was a paid, full time job, that would be realistic but unfortunately it's a volunteer position that people need fit around their often already busy schedules and something like would take many hours a day.

Also, I think it would be quite simple and I don't think there's really an issue with there being pages and pages of extra posts if the one that everyone wants to look at is the first one.

I think sorting by genre is probably the best but I also agree with AT14's idea that a quick line of description would probably benefit - maybe limit it to two sentences or something like that.

I think we can ask users to request to be put into the directory, decide their own genre (I also think you should be able to go into more than one genre if you want), write their own description and update their story's "status" (ie. Is it completed or in progress?) The mods should only edit what users want for their own story if there are obvious signs of abuse (eg. Something that is clearly not shipping being put into shipping in an attempt to gain views)

Kyuu, as for your concern about people getting left out of the directory if they don't post. Well, if they don't post then obviously they don't care. We'll make announcements about it and anyone can feel free to recommend them to post but, ultimately, if after all that they don't ask to be put in, they obviously don't want to be put in that much and I think we should just make peace with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Okay then, does that mean that there will be one thread for both Ongoing and Archived stories? And what about the merging with the Review Exchange idea by putting some sign to signify that these stories are in the Review Exchange?
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 11th January 2012 at 08:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, we could have one of each and perhaps that would work better in case really old fics are clogging up the directory. Perhaps just completely separate in progress and completed but still have them within the same post? I think that could work.

Good idea about the review exchange too. The current Review Exchange thread is pretty underused and dead. We could have a symbol at the top that says "signifies that the author will give reviews in exchange for reviewing this fic" and put that symbol next to authors who want it. That could revitalise the whole Review Exchange system, which would be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds good to me so far. Now to agree on the issue brought up earlier; the genres.

Since it is just a record, and not the awards, I think it would be fine to be specific in the genres, such as having Dark, Crack, and Comedy as opposed to just one Other genre. The obvious ones will be Journey, Shipping and Expansion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuujux View Post
    Sounds good to me so far. Now to agree on the issue brought up earlier; the genres.

Since it is just a record, and not the awards, I think it would be fine to be specific in the genres, such as having Dark, Crack, and Comedy as opposed to just one Other genre. The obvious ones will be Journey, Shipping and Expansion.
    I agree. In fact, I think it would be beneficial to do it that way, Expansion could even be split into Backstory and Future Fic as it originally was. I also think it would be nice to allow users to decide their genres for themselves, within reason. So if they believe a new genre should be created, I think it would be nice to try and make it, if it wasn't too ridiculous or too similar to an existing genre. For example, we could have categories like Pokemon centric (for PMD fics and those with Pokemon protagonists), poetry could have its own section, we could even have Erotic/Lemon (I know a lot of people are annoyed by their existence but, who knows, some people might specifically want to read them and who are we to say no to that? =P )

In a way, I think this could help address AT14's concerns of people going straight to the genres they are interested in. If there are a lot of genres available they might see one that they would not have thought of and decide to give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sounds quite appealing; I'm actually getting very excited about this project! Other genres could be 'Alternate', which is for stories that are set in an alternate version of the Pokémon World, and the writer incorporates some original elements to the story. And what about multi-genres? Some stories might fit into more than one category, such as a story that could be in the form of an Anime filler, detailing a part of Ash's journey and his romance with whoever the author ships him with.

I also think Backstory and Future could get tricky, unless we allow multiple-genres. As my current story deals with Maylene before she became a Gym Leader, and goes on even after her appearances in Platinum, which could qualify as both Backstory and Future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sounds quite appealing; I'm actually getting very excited about this project! Other genres could be 'Alternate', which is for stories that are set in an alternate version of the Pokémon World, and the writer incorporates some original elements to the story. And what about multi-genres? Some stories might fit into more than one category, such as a story that could be in the form of an Anime filler, detailing a part of Ash's journey and his romance with whoever the author ships him with.

I also think Backstory and Future could get tricky, unless we allow multiple-genres. As my current story deals with Maylene before she became a Gym Leader, and goes on even after her appearances in Platinum, which could qualify as both Backstory and Future.
    Personally I think we should allow stories to come under multiple genres. Of course, if someone tries to put their story under loads of genres then, chances are, that would be abusing the system and their story would be corrected to whatever it should be and they'd probably be given an infraction. (Dealing purely in hypotheticals here since the system is yet to be created.)

You raise a good concern about Expansion fics, perhaps they should not be split, perhaps they should. Tbh, I think whether specific genres should included or not is a discussion we should probably have once more details of this idea are established. I'd like to see what other people think of the ideas you and I have discussed, Kyuu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    I'd like to see what other people think of the ideas you and I have discussed, Kyuu.
    We are going a bit too fast... But I do think others should remember that, unlike the awards, we can have more varied genres in the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

But the goal of the Directory is for it to be a quick guide to the stories. Having each author write what they want in their post could make it work like a mini-Atlas, and it would require for those searching for stories to have to click through every link to get the summary, as opposed to having the few lines next to the story.
    I said that we would come up with a fixed template, didn't I?

A lone detective takes it upon himself to solve the murder of a young woman, willingly diving into the dangerous web of conspiracies weaved by the feuding mafia families. But after the truth is uncovered, will that city of sin be the same ever again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladar View Post
    I said that we would come up with a fixed template, didn't I?
    I think the point Kyuu is trying to make is that if we had each user edit their own post then the first post would be a load of links and you'd have to click through to see each description which could get tiresome, particularly if they're all on different pages, which they probably would end up being.

On the other hand, if we use your idea of a fixed template but just implemented into one single post and just had users make a new post whenever they wanted to change their entry and then have mods respond to posts and update accordingly, then we could have the best of both worlds, I think.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think having a separate thread for archived stories is a really good way to go around this. I also think that there should be a variety of genres available in order to be fair, as then it could encourage people to write stories in other genres as well. Maybe there could be a limit though to how many genres you can classify your story under? Three sounds like it would be a good maximum number, as anything above that is just pushing things.

Could someone please give a detailed explanation of how the current updating system would work? I'm a tad confused.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    I think having a separate thread for archived stories is a really good way to go around this. I also think that there should be a variety of genres available in order to be fair, as then it could encourage people to write stories in other genres as well. Maybe there could be a limit though to how many genres you can classify your story under? Three sounds like it would be a good maximum number, as anything above that is just pushing things.

Could someone please give a detailed explanation of how the current updating system would work? I'm a tad confused.
    I suppose it does make a certain amount of sense to have a separate thread for archived stories... they are kept in a separate place after all.

A maximum genre limit sounds like quite a good idea actually. Three sounds sensible.

Right, my vision of the update system (which is slightly different to Aladar's which I will outline below) is:

The directory will essentially all be in a single post. This post will be split into genres etc. If users want their fic in the directory, they must provide all of the details, including a link, genres etc. in a post. The next time a WW mod comes online, they will transfer this information into the first post. If they want to update anything about their story, they should make a new post and the next time a WW mod comes online, they will update the first post accordingly.

Aladar's version:

Users will add a post to the thread with all the details for their fic as above, however, instead of updating the first post, a WW mod will create a link to the user's post. This way, the user can update their post without having to notify the mods. I suppose the contents page could be sorted by genre so this doesn't necessarily preclude that.

Have I explained that clearly enough?

The reason why I would prefer to do it my way is because I think the directory will be easier to use. Instead of having to click through and wait to be taken to each individual post, users can just scroll through and look at each one. Careful use of spoiler tags can avoid the first post becoming too cluttered.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

GaMa's way is pretty much identical to PC's Index thread (which I linked to ages ago =P), which I've been using for a few years with no hassles. It just seems to me like the most logical way to do things.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prefer GM's version of the directory as it will run smoother for the people viewing it since if you're going to click on each link just to get the information, wouldn't it thus be easier to just have members write the genre with the title and use the search engine instead? The only thing someone could complain about would be the mod's workload would be bigger using GM's way, but that could be resolved by spreading the workload amongst the mods or simply having one day a week when its all done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast