What is writing to you? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is writing to you?

Default Re: What is writing to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    And I've very heavily perceived a link between creativity and increased exposure to depressive disorders and tendencies, which is really fascinating. maybe it's cognitive, but there's also the cultural impact; creative people are often different from their peers, and as such often end up on the outside of their school socially, leading to an increased frequency of depression and other psychological issues.
    I hear it's actually been scientifically documented to a certain degree, though it's not always the case. I'd hesitate to identify a single cause for it, but I think the socio-behavioral theory fits better than the cognitive theory. I say this based on my own experience: my creativity is due to my isolation from the norms of my peers, and does not wax and wane each time I get depressed.

The cognitive argument was more general; i.e. you're generally creative, not only when you're depressed - but there's a correlation between inhibiting general creativity and being disposed to depression and other such disorders.

It's, as you say, most likely a multifaceted case; there's more than one cause and more than one effect.

(but we're kind of straying from the topic, now P:)
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Writing is a lot of things to me. In one sense, it's a release. It's putting all the interesting ideas I have, and getting them all out. It's crafting the characters whose voices speak to me and creating the worlds I wish I could explore. In another sense, it's a way of fighting. It's a way of creating characters like me, who are POC, who are LGBTQIA, who are outside of the exclusionary 'norm' of things. Writing my own work allows me total creative control, so I can tell the stories I want, the characters I want. So I can avoid a romance and focus on friendship, or create a romance that makes sense to me. I write because if I don't, I'll never see the stories I really want.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange
    No matter what you do, I will be who I will be. The question is, who are you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12