What makes a fic crack? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What makes a fic crack?

Default Re: What makes a fic crack?

I would like once more to argue my point that, while everything is subjective, some labels have wider common ground as far as definitions go; while everyone has their own ideas and opinions, some aspects and facets is seen more often across those subjective definitions. Thus there is a narrow (or wide) ground in which most people could agree that "this is crack" or "this is dark" and so on. Those with wider common ground may have less fuzzy borders where people disagree on what is what, and vice versa.

Thusly I would say that, if an author didn't intend to/doesn't look upon their work as "crack", then for them it isn't. If someone else reads it and finds it to be "crack", then, for that reader, it is crack. There is no universal standard; retroactive labeling still only applies to the person labeling it as such - and anyone else who may share the same view; who partially or wholly inhibit the same common ground of definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    Thus there is a narrow (or wide) ground in which most people could agree that "this is crack" or "this is dark" and so on.
    So Llama, what would you say were pretty reliable indicators of 'crack' fic?

We've had 'absurdity' suggested, but that is one of the most nebulous terms in existence. If all that being crack meant was that the fic was found ridiculous, then the use of 'crack' as a genre is meaningless, given that it will depend entirely on interpretation.

I personally have no clear definitions of crack, for the reasons stated already; I rarely make up very specific subjective opinions about these things, I prefer debating the meta-aspects of everything. But if I were to think of one right now, it would be one in which the story and characters didn't take themselves seriously, by being obviously self-aware of ridiculous flaws or stereotypes, one which breaks the fourth wall, has completely absurd humour (absurd as in "completely irrelevant to whatever's actually going on", or absurd as in "whatever's going in is plain unbelievable and breaks immersion).

So a good way to put it would be "absurd", but absurd defined as "a humor story that continuously and intentionally breaks your suspension of disbelief for the sake of humour". Maybe. There might be exceptions. No.. not only might, there are always exceptions. Like I said, I haven't really read a lot of them, so I'm not that capable of defining what I, personally, find to be "crack".

Blog Entries

A crack fic is a fic that takes itself so unseriously that the unseriousness of it goes into negative levels.

Blog Entries

A crack fic is a fic that makes me go "What the fuck was the author smoking?"
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12