What have you never seen others do?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you never seen others do?

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default What have you never seen others do?

I certainly hope this topic is more appropriate for this forum. I've posted the same thing over at SPPf, about 2 months ago, under the name "Dragonite Ernston".

So, here goes:

This thread discusses things that you've only ever seen one person do in fan fiction (or none), and tries to find other examples of these things.

The purpose is to help authors look for more examples of things that have been done so that they get some idea about how to go about doing it, or so that they get a chance to look at a few works that use the same devices as their own.

For example:
    • In original trainer stories, I've never seen any training-partner team with two siblings before, except in my own story (Ken and Hikaru). (Must be because I haven't read that many stories. -_-)

The examples should be pretty general, nothing specific like:
    • I've never seen a trainer named Rachel who had a Buoysel named Suigun except in my own story. (Should be obvious where this is from. ^_^)

: or crazy, like:
    • I've never seen a trainer catch exactly 2,592 Sentrets in one hour before.

Then, as the "never-seen-before things" are posted, other people can post examples of these things, for everybody to view. (In the above example, it would be a fiction where there are two siblings travelling together.)

So, to start:

In original trainer stories, I've never seen any story where the trainer's officially picked starter is a Sentret, besides my own. (Again, there's most likely another one out there that has this, and this thread's purpose is to point out a few of the ones that are "out there".)

*edit 6/03/2010* Okay, I think people are misunderstanding what I mean by posting examples. When posting an example of something that someone else has never seen before, give a link. If we can't actually read the story that you're talking about because we don't even know where it is, then the example is worthless.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 3rd June 2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Post links, people.

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [discussion] What have you never seen others do?

In original trainer stories, I've never seen any training-partner team with two siblings before, except in my own story (Ken and Hikaru). (Must be because I haven't read that many stories. -_-)
    Obviously, you haven't read mine, though it's mentioned in it only at the point it's at. ;)
    Don't know what to put here.

How do I used tense? SSJ3_Raditz's Avatar

I've never seen someone make a rewrite fic of the game using the female character.

So, I used that idea in my fic.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Discussions do not belong in the Writer's Workshop. We're working on a new subforum for that.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Discussions do not belong in the Writer's Workshop. We're working on a new subforum for that.
    Reopened. We'll move it there once we get that subforum up, but for now it's fine here.

Blog Entries

I've never seen someone tell Barry's side of events in Pokémon platinum so I decided to give it ago ;)

^Credit for thumbnails goes to Instrutilus!^

-Pokémon Rescue Team Series-
    Eternal Flame: Coming Soon!

Blog Entries

I didnt want to do Ash and just make it a rewrite of Pokemon Animie so I used some characters to make a new story.

Bloody Melt
    Blog Entries

I've never seen someone try to write a universe where only Pokemon existed and was not related to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
    If ya need me, I'm probably playing some Mann vs Machine: http://steamcommunity.com/id/optimatum

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

I have never seen a generic journey where someone challenges Gym Leaders and collects Badges.

I've never seen the hero and the rival actually travelling side by side. Tried writing this once about Gold and Silver but gave up pretty quickly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opti View Post
    I've never seen someone try to write a universe where only Pokemon existed and was not related to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
    There's a fanfic, Pokémon Travels (Not by me, either) about exactly that, an Eevee in a non-MD World.

Blog Entries

This WMG from TVTropes has never been attempted to my knowledge:

The Mystery Dungeon Series takes place in Pokemon Storage Network

The whole shebang takes place in the Pokemon Storage network inside of the main games, sometime after the original games, as early as Gold/Silver. I know only the following in support of this theory.

Bill from the main series is introduced as having turned himself into a pokemon of some kind during a teleportation device accident. The pokeballs (And PC boxes) are described to be able to make an environment the captured 'mon likes. The PC network from Bills storage system has a central server, where all the Mon's are stored (Elsewise, you could never reach them from just anywhere with a PC.)

Bill, after his teleporter incident was confused as to whether he was human or not.

So my wild mass guess:

The Player Character is sent intentionally into the PC network to check the program for errors. This explains why the levels are randomized: The infinite challenge and stimulation keeps your Mons in storage from getting bored. The Time Gears are physical manifestations of the Kernel that underpins the whole system, and the places like Treasure Town or whatnot are mass hubs on the Central Servers where the Mons are left free.

Time is also accelerated from the outsider's perspective. That's why humans and their appearance are common knowledge, but their absence is unremarked upon, as they know deep down they're in some kind of deeply involved simulation.

* Out of curiosity, what does this mean for the I Choose To Stay part of the Rescue Team games, or the ending of the Explorers set?
    o As soon as I get to the ending, I will provide an answer. As for Red/Blue, the Hero lost their memory- this may have even been intentional, (Sabotage or other reasons,) at least so as to minimize the odds of getting lynched by irate mons. (Or worse yet, given a list of bugfixes.) If it wasn't intentional, then the transfer was screwed up somehow. Either way, as noted above, they can't remember much if anything of the world they were from, so they simply figure 'what the hell' and stay.
    Also, "hybridizing" the main universe with the PMD world has never been done as well (I will attempt it with my crackfic).
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    I have never seen a generic journey where someone challenges Gym Leaders and collects Badges.

I've never seen the hero and the rival actually travelling side by side. Tried writing this once about Gold and Silver but gave up pretty quickly.
    My one happens to include both of them I'm afraid - although isn't completely generic!
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mask Marauder View Post
    Reopened. We'll move it there once we get that subforum up, but for now it's fine here.
    Thanks. If there were a subforum for the discussions, I would have posted it there, like I did at SPPf. (Thanks in advance for promising to move it as well.)

I didnt want to do Ash and just make it a rewrite of Pokemon Animie so I used some characters to make a new story.
    Not exactly relevant... this is supposed to be for things you've never seen people do, not for things that are overused and that you think of trying to not do.

Another thing - the stories do not necessarily have to be on BMGf. You can post links to stories on other websites as well, like FanFiction.net or even SPPf.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harryheart View Post
    My one happens to include both of them I'm afraid - although isn't completely generic!
    Well if it's something that I've never seen before then it can't be totally generic too =P

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    Well if it's something that I've never seen before then it can't be totally generic too =P
    Hmm well the start probably is... maybe it all is... I don't know. I've never seen someone adapt of the idea of a Pokemon being caught and trained. Instead of a Mystery Dungeon Fic you have a Pokemon in the habitat and that's the protaganist who then gets caught.
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast