What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics? - Page 8

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics?

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirky Circuit View Post
    A lack of ambition. Too many writers are afraid or too timid to really experiment and have fun with fiction, and all because they're scared of labels like mary sue and other bull. Writing is supposed to be freedom, it is one of the truest forms of expression, so let yourself go and have fun. Creativity and fun is often stifled because of these ridiculous fears of others finding something to label what you write. When you accept it will happen no matter wha, then perhaps you'll allow your real passions and strengths to shine through.

So, my biggest problem is when the author is afraid, and you can see it in the writing. And to that I say; clear your mind of sues and critics, if your story is good, it'll find its audience. Have patience.
    I'm not afraid of the Mary Sue label. I think it's better to not be afraid of the label. God knows what fanfics the Mary Sue police writes. But a lot of them don't even go for Pokemon fanfics - they usually go for fanfics based on fantasy books/movies (such as LOTR or Harry Potter).

In my eyes, I usually found game fics to be much better than anime fics, which is one of the reasons why I wrote mostly game fics. It's also because I don't care for the anime or the manga. But with the rise of FerrisWheelShipping fanfiction, I think it's going down the same route.

For a while, I actually felt like bashing anime-based or manga-based Pokemon fics, since I liked the games so much. But I think we should respect the other canons. For example, I don't like that in Pokemon Special, Sabrina is evil and Pryce is only 3 feet tall, but that's how it is in the manga. I'd rather work with a sensible Sabrina and a tall, healthy Pryce, but I don't care if people use the manga versions in fanfics.
    You can't be afraid of the label. You really cannot let someone else's judgmental tactics stifle your pure freedom as a writer. Our imaginations are magical, ripe with endless possibilities, and everyone has their right to dig into it however they please.

As for my fondness of Pokefiction, to that I can't attest a favoritism. While I love the games and consider them The Source, if someone wants to play true to the manga or anime, I say go for it. Fans with real passion can often find ways to improve their favored properties. I don't believe only the creators have good ideas, we all have a creative process that allows us to define events and circumstances in our own way, and that individuality breeds better stories, and fans can just as easily produce that.

Fiction has no police, it has no jury or execution system, no one should be ruled unfit to write, and that is not anyone's call to make.
    matt0044 and Drakon like this.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

Blog Entries

Fiction has no police, it has no jury or execution system, no one should be ruled unfit to write, and that is not anyone's call to make.
    That is my biggest peeve. Is it that hard to fucking understand!?

On a sidenote, I loathe people who are "Canon Crusaders". Yes, authors should try to stick to the canon. No, they do not have to slavishly adhere to it. And no, you do not get the right to declare jihad against someone for bending canon.

Likewise, people who flip their shit over something disagreeing with their headcanon. Entitlement complex much?
    matt0044 likes this.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

^'Tis why I usually either re-write canon, or set something outside of the normal timeline of events.

Or do something totally unrelated to what we've seen thus far.

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post

On a sidenote, I loathe people who are "Canon Crusaders". Yes, authors should try to stick to the canon. No, they do not have to slavishly adhere to it. And no, you do not get the right to declare jihad against someone for bending canon.

Likewise, people who flip their shit over something disagreeing with their headcanon. Entitlement complex much?
    As a fan and frequent writer of Star Wars fan fiction, I know where you're coming from. I am not well versed in the pokemon fiction community, but I know I often bend rules of canon if it's in anyway open to interpretation or has no set facts. Beyond that I am someone who likes to write within a canon, for Pokemon it is the games. For Star Wars, I only adhere to the canon of the films, and even that is loose, Lucas kind of flew by the seat of his pants. So I frequently come across canon police who are burning with unnecessary rage because I left some silly reference out from a book I never read because I thought it was a cheap cash in and awful.

I don't write fan fiction, or visit message boards, to be assaulted by someone's poor, bruised ego just cause they can't stand up for themselves in real life. I write what I like, and if it doesn't find an audience, oh well, I'll still finish it, and I'll enjoy it.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

Here, here Quirky!

I play a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh! A big problem I have is that the majority of the fanfiction out there is essentially a rewrite of arcs from the anime: a big tournament, a dueling academy, where a big bad or group of big bads emerge to threaten the world. My Sturmkrieg Blitz was inspired by a yugioh fanfic I read that treated the cards as if they were characters in a "monster world." That's the same approach I'm taking with my work.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elric von Bek View Post
    Here, here Quirky!

I play a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh! A big problem I have is that the majority of the fanfiction out there is essentially a rewrite of arcs from the anime: a big tournament, a dueling academy, where a big bad or group of big bads emerge to threaten the world. My Sturmkrieg Blitz was inspired by a yugioh fanfic I read that treated the cards as if they were characters in a "monster world." That's the same approach I'm taking with my work.
    It's Yu-Gi-Oh!, though. If you're gonna be concerned with canon in any way, a big tournament or dueling academy is a quick and easy way to build up some tension and raise the stakes that doesn't require a whole hell of a lot of thought on the part of the writer. That being said, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the majority of Yu-Gi-Oh! fanfics feature tournaments or academies. I'd put my money on the vast majority of them being shipping fics, specifically yaoi, and the only tension shipping fics require is in clothing. Most of the ones I came across back in the heyday of my Yu-Gi-Oh! fics were actually AUs as well, so I think it's pretty safe to say that the Yu-Gi-Oh! fandom considers canon to be casual suggestions at best.

On the main topic...the thing that bugs me the most is lack of proper characterization, either by failing to establish any character at all or by completely changing a canon character's personality for no reason. Basically, anytime Ron the Death Eater or Draco in Leather Pants is in effect without a very good explanation.
    matt0044 likes this.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
    On the main topic...the thing that bugs me the most is lack of proper characterization, either by failing to establish any character at all or by completely changing a canon character's personality for no reason. Basically, anytime Ron the Death Eater or Draco in Leather Pants is in effect without a very good explanation.
    Mmmm, proper characterization might sometimes be hard to determine in this fandom though, especially if the person is writing from gameverse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juiceboxxx View Post
    Mmmm, proper characterization might sometimes be hard to determine in this fandom though, especially if the person is writing from gameverse.
    Not really? Maybe it's just me, but I find it super obvious which 'verse Pokémon fanfics are pulling from - game, anime, or manga. It's often established pretty early on. Either way, however, lack of consistency and proper characterization still bug me ¬.¬

"He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Not really? Maybe it's just me, but I find it super obvious which 'verse Pokémon fanfics are pulling from - game, anime, or manga. It's often established pretty early on. Either way, however, lack of consistency and proper characterization still bug me ¬.¬
    Still, some of the characters in gameverse are only given about a paragraph of characterization to go off of.

Blog Entries

Still, some of the characters in gameverse are only given about a paragraph of characterization to go off of.
    It still provides SOME context, and a basis for further extrapolation on their character. But if that further characterization is botched, then it doesn't matter. Point is, I hate badly-done characters.

How do you feel about deliberately-done OOCness for the laughs?

I can take a few liberties taken with characterization in that case, but too much randomness is just tiring.

Blog Entries

Unless the rest of the story has the same "everything for teh lulz" tone, then it's just as bad as anything else.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post

I would say that sticking to canon is only a tiebreaker for two equally consistent paths within the story itself, or as a fill-in for things that the author didn't come up with himself. I feel like fanfiction writers should be using canon as a springboard for their own ideas, not a guideline that they need to follow.

Usually this happens when people treat their headcanon as it if were canon, and are "Canon Crusaders" as above.

Unless the rest of the story has the same "everything for teh lulz" tone, then it's just as bad as anything else.
    I hate to show off something of mine twice in the same thread to make the same point, but if that's the case, you're going to hate For Want of Spirit.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 6th April 2013 at 09:21 AM.
    matt0044 likes this.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    I hate to show off something of mine twice in the same thread to make the same point, but if that's the case, you're going to hate For Want of Spirit.
    Good, then I won't read it. Thanks for the warning.

Blog Entries

Also, this is much more prominent in the MLP:FiM fandom but I think it warrants a mention here too.

Fanon characterizations. Just because the fanbase has solidified such characterizations, that does not mean someone who goes against it is a heretic.
    Elric von Bek and Feliciano like this.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast