What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics? - Page 15

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics?

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics?

It's been said before, but the overwhelming majority of what could be considered "chatfics". :/

Not only are the pieces themselves generally craftless and effortless, they give a bad reputation to what it ACTUALLY means to write in a PROPER television or film format.

Since these things are often a fic reader's first exposure to what could be considered a "script" in any sense of the word (though for the type of low grade stuff I'm referring to, it often BARELY applies), people are left with the impression that scriptwriting is a means of telling a story as lazily and effortlessly as possible, while providing little to no description of the actions and settings.

Blog Entries

Last edited by matt0044; 31st July 2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Lugion likes this.

追放されたバカ

They suck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 妖精ちゃん View Post
    Personally I think the biggest problem with fanfics is that it is full of newbie writers who mostly don't know what they're doing.
    We all have to start somewhere, don't we? What matters is whether those amateurs improve or not.
    Lugion and Mokoniki like this.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Personally I think the biggest problem with fanfics is that it is full of newbie writers who mostly don't know what they're doing.
    We all have to start somewhere, don't we? What matters is whether those amateurs improve or not.
    I said the same thing a loooooooong while back.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    I said the same thing a loooooooong while back.
    Sorry...

If you ask me, the main problem with fanfics would be that the authors make far too many assumptions. Assuming things is a mortal sin in writing. For everything you assume your readers will know, as least one will not. Go out of your way to describe everything, so nobody is left with a feeling of confusion. Otherwise, you're risking losing readers. The more assumptions you make, the more likely it is someone will get frustrated trying to understand your story, and as more and more people do that, you'll be left with an audience of 1,000 and a fanbase of 1. As I said in another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Flame1819 View Post
    Never, EVER assume that your readers know something. I don't know how may times I've been turned off of a fanfiction because of a case of who-the-fuck-is-that-itis. I don't know a lot of the characters from the animeverse because I stopped watching after Misty left. This causes a big problem whenever people use a character I'm not familiar with in their story and assume I'll know who they are. It's not even something I'm comfortable admitting in a review, because every time I did it, I got yelled at by other reviewers (and sometimes the writer themself) for not knowing who someone was, and people act as if not knowing a character makes you the dumbest person on the Internet. Of course, if this is a character who maybe shows up once or twice, but isn't really important, then there's not a problem. If this character shows up in most or all of your chapters, is frequently mentioned, or is just a main character, then I'm not gonna waste my time reading it. I won't be able to enjoy it because I don't know who they are, and I just can't imagine what's going on. It causes a bit of a mental ragequit, for me.

So, in conclusion, it's not necessary, but it's better to describe as much as possible. Even main characters, in case, say, someone who possibly lives under a rock doesn't know what Ash's current outfit looks like, or just isn't aware the mangaverse exists.

Blog Entries

This has likely be mentioned before but I suck at summaries . If you can't right a good summary, why should I bother with the fic? Also poor formatting, such as seeing a mass of words, no breaks or anything, just this mass. Sure the fic could be good but if it a pain in the arse to read than why should I even bother?
    Smart enough to use forth in the wrong context
    Claims: Metagross and Travis Touchdown

Blog Entries

Okay, so discussing Mary-Sue's/debating whether that term is a good thing isn't entirely on topic with the thread and I don't want to derail it with a wall-o-text, but I'll try to be brief.

While I do agree that "Mary Sue" is a term that is used far too freely in the current fanfiction community, oftentimes incorrectly, I actually prefer to use it in certain situations. I can wax eloquent to a beginning author about proper character development and good flaws and quality personalities, or I can link them to a Mary Sue page, which will tell them essentially the same thing. Essentially.

I believe that there is no inherently "bad" concept in writing. Like the article said, there have been some beautifully developed characters that fall under the sweeping Mary Sue umbrella, but almost all of these characters have been written by authors far more practiced than we. Developing authors do tend to write their flawless characters in unrealistic, irritating manners, and while, yes, it's possible for it to be done well, said flawless characters are almost always written by more experienced authors who know what they're doing. Like. Yeah, sure, someone could write a perfect character who has grown out of all of their flaws, but with almost all fanfiction this simply doesn't happen. That's why they're badly written characters. :>

The term Mary Sue, at least to me, is a valid stepping-stone when critiquing newer authors, particularly in regards to the wish-fulfillment section. Yes, I'm a lazy reviewer, and yes, sometimes I don't have the balls to go up to someone's first fanfiction and be like "hey I think that your character is bland and boring and far too perfect omg I'm such a mean person," so, yes, I do end up suggesting that the character is a Mary Sue and letting the author do his/her own research at his/her own leisure. No matter how misappropriated the word itself is, the suggestions to fixing badly written characters are still useful, whether or not authors choose to believe that their character fits under the umbrella or not.

This argument is quite vague and makes little sense. Perhaps I'll be less lazy and reserved in the future and just start flat-out calling sh*tty characters when I see them, haha.

...also, I don't agree with the misogyny argument in the slightest. We took the name Mary Sue from a parody Star Trek fanfic where in the main character--named Mary Sue--went around saving the world and doing related feats of typical plotless fanfiction. Also, speaking frankly, I find that a lot of the more vapid, boring characters are female characters, regardless of the genders of their creators. I don't think that naming the term after a particularly noteworthy example that just happened to be female is sexist, and I also don't think that it somehow denounces female-author wish-fulfillment. The majority of beginning fanfiction writers are female, and the majority of their beginning characters are also female, so naming a trope after the majority doesn't seem sexist in the slightest. :>
    also, yes, I'm female, so there's no need to call me sexist. Naive, perhaps.

Back on topic, top pick for worst problem goes Mary-- badly written main characters.
    Honorable mention to awful grammar and anime ripoffs.

Blog Entries

Well, the article was regarding the "Mary Sue" term in its misuse in fandoms and not just fanfiction so maybe it wasn't entirely appropriate for here.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415