What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics? - Page 14

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics?

Default Re: What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics?

A moderator closing a different thread and directing its discussion here didn't necessarily help.

As a quick note, Spelling and grammar are definitely an easy pet peeve. Not always the biggest problem with any single fanfiction, but yes it does feel like a lot of authors just don't try/care. A big part is that there's no authority to actually enforce good language in a writer's fic. Nobody to point out the flaws and make the author correct them of their own efforts.
    Bubble Frog and Sadrina like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    As a quick note, Spelling and grammar are definitely an easy pet peeve. Not always the biggest problem with any single fanfiction, but yes it does feel like a lot of authors just don't try/care. A big part is that there's no authority to actually enforce good language in a writer's fic. Nobody to point out the flaws and make the author correct them of their own efforts.
    Au contrair. There are numerous groups that attempt to enforce it, at least on Fanfiction, and 'improve' the writing, that are really little more than organized groups of flamers. Which, if this was a discussion of the single biggest issue with the website Fanfiction.net, would make the top of the list. But you're right in that there really is no one who enforces proper English, a thought that will haunt me the day I start paying taxes to pay for public education...
    Zekurom and Silverwynde like this.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sadrina View Post

.Tired Cliches- I've seen enough Pokemon that either; hang around outside their pokeballs, are shiny, have an alternate color that isn't shiny or normal, talk, understand fluent English, etc. for one lifetime, thank you very much.

While I enjoyed reading your post in general, I have to raise my hand and say that I honestly don't see anything wrong with Pokémon being outside of their Pokéballs.

The idea of all Pokémon other than Pikachu being constantly inside their Pokéballs is really just a contrivance to allow the animators to not have to animate extra characters constantly and for the writers to not have to write in all those other Pokémon (say up to two or three per character) having to do stuff, and in the games, its simply a game mechanic.

In a world where Pokémon actually existed, I'd find it hard to believe that nearly all trainers would keep all their Pokémon inside their Pokéballs except for battles and eating.
    Mokoniki, Sadrina and Bubble Frog like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post

.Tired Cliches- I've seen enough Pokemon that either; hang around outside their pokeballs, are shiny, have an alternate color that isn't shiny or normal, talk, understand fluent English, etc. for one lifetime, thank you very much.

While I enjoyed reading your post in general, I have to raise my hand and say that I honestly don't see anything wrong with Pokémon being outside of their Pokéballs.

The idea of all Pokémon other than Pikachu being constantly inside their Pokéballs is really just a contrivance to allow the animators to not have to animate extra characters constantly and for the writers to not have to write in all those other Pokémon (say up to two or three per character) having to do stuff, and in the games, its simply a game mechanic.

In a world where Pokémon actually existed, I'd find it hard to believe that nearly all trainers would keep all their Pokémon inside their Pokéballs except for battles and eating.
    Exactly. I'm actually writing a story where the Trainer keeps her Pokemon (not one, all six) out of their balls, treating them like her friends. It allows for good character interactions and development.

Blog Entries

My biggest problem is people whom write characters OOC and bashing fics. This has to be the one thing that annoys me like there's no tomorrow. The other problem is when they change a main character into a Mary sue.

There's an author on FFN named Sailor Star9, and ber writing is autrocious. She writes mainly sailor moon crossovers with the titular character changed to the meanest, cruelest, ice queen of the entire universe whom will kill everyone but Sailor Mercury (whom has somehow become the true moon princess, has been lied to, and is actually the strongest)... and this basically plots out each of her stories. The descriptions are horrible, the betrayals are unbelievable, and she seems to have no care for grammar.

This issue is not just limited to her... it's in each fandom. Pokemon has Misty betrayal fics where she is shown as hating everyone and trying to kill everyone---especially Brock then trying but failing to get Ash. And why? Because she's always been jealous and ugly (according to the writer.)

Now, this doesn't mean that betrayal is not okay in a fic but at least, make it a believable reason... however making someone OOC to fit in is generally just not okay. If Dawn has to become Iris to make it work then someone needs to either rid themselves of that character or change how the character is being used in the plot.
    Can you hear me?

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Sadrina;4804084]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Au contrair. There are numerous groups that attempt to enforce it, at least on Fanfiction, and 'improve' the writing, that are really little more than organized groups of flamers. Which, if this was a discussion of the single biggest issue with the website Fanfiction.net, would make the top of the list. But you're right in that there really is no one who enforces proper English, a thought that will haunt me the day I start paying taxes to pay for public education...
    If you take good English to mean correct spelling and grammar, I largely agree. It is possible to take the concept too seriously, though. Spelling and grammar are there to aid understanding, after all. Take the idea of the split infinitive - a grammar "rule" that was flat-out made up in the Victorian era and serves no function as an aid to understanding whatsoever. Enforcing something like that smacks of intellectual elitism, to me

I actually I agree with you there, especially when someone's traveling alone, as it really gives the Pokemon a much more in depth look. I really should have worded that better, because I love stories when it serves a purpose. Mainly, I was referring to when a Pokemon is out of a Pokeball just to be out of it, and the only development they get is when they say "Charmander!" every other chapter or so. Or, and I have seen it before, when all six Pokemon walk around outside their Pokeballs, or somehow, the fact that they're outside of them allows someone to carry more than six. Also, it bugs me when there's no reason given, the trainer just goes, " Oh, I'll bet you'd like to walk around outside!" and we never even know whether or not that Pokemon cared. So, as an edit to my previous, incorrect, statement, I only dislike the concept of Pokemon being outside when it isn't executed well. To me, if it's explained well enough, and is executed so as to enhance either one of, or both, the trainer and Pokemon, it's perfectly fine, and I genuinely like it.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually I agree with you there, especially when someone's traveling alone, as it really gives the Pokemon a much more in depth look. I really should have worded that better, because I love stories when it serves a purpose. Mainly, I was referring to when a Pokemon is out of a Pokeball just to be out of it, and the only development they get is when they say "Charmander!" every other chapter or so. Or, and I have seen it before, when all six Pokemon walk around outside their Pokeballs, or somehow, the fact that they're outside of them allows someone to carry more than six. Also, it bugs me when there's no reason given, the trainer just goes, " Oh, I'll bet you'd like to walk around outside!" and we never even know whether or not that Pokemon cared. So, as an edit to my previous, incorrect, statement, I only dislike the concept of Pokemon being outside when it isn't executed well. To me, if it's explained well enough, and is executed so as to enhance either one of, or both, the trainer and Pokemon, it's perfectly fine, and I genuinely like it.
    Oh. I get it now!
    matt0044 likes this.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

This is one part I'm not that very much agree with.

We have seen so many Pokemon talking. That is not only Meowth of the TRio in the anime, but also Slowking of the Lugia Movie, and many legendary Pokemons in the Movies (speak through telepathy though).
    Also, Pokemon that speaks human language is not limited to only anime fandom. In the Pocket Monster gag manga by Kosaku Anakubo, all Pokemon interact with humans like normal human beings. Also in many other mangas, Pokemon again speak human language with telepathy.
    By the way, in any one of the Pokemon fandoms, although the lifestyle of Pokemon itself is very animal-like, but it shows they all understand and able to interpret human language, although they may not able to speak it out actually. With the human beings like N that can understand Pokemon's word, then Pokemon technically does able to "speak human language", nonetheless it is understandable by several limited humans such as N.

Again, of course, the key rule is "don't over do it". It might be annoying that every single Pokemon in a fic talks human language (either through actual voice or telepathy) for no appropriate reason. But if do it right, it can become a key element used to develop Pokemon characteristics.

In the current fic I'm working, many of the Pokemon can talk human language using telepathy, where such phenomenon causes many researchers to study about it. It will be reveal in the later chapters that the reason behind such phenomenon is one major constituent for the plot development.
    Sadrina likes this.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post
    This is one part I'm not that very much agree with.

We have seen so many Pokemon talking. That is not only Meowth of the TRio in the anime, but also Slowking of the Lugia Movie, and many legendary Pokemons in the Movies (speak through telepathy though).
    Also, Pokemon that speaks human language is not limited to only anime fandom. In the Pocket Monster gag manga by Kosaku Anakubo, all Pokemon interact with humans like normal human beings. Also in many other mangas, Pokemon again speak human language with telepathy.
    By the way, in any one of the Pokemon fandoms, although the lifestyle of Pokemon itself is very animal-like, but it shows they all understand and able to interpret human language, although they may not able to speak it out actually. With the human beings like N that can understand Pokemon's word, then Pokemon technically does able to "speak human language", nonetheless it is understandable by several limited humans such as N.

Again, of course, the key rule is "don't over do it". It might be annoying that every single Pokemon in a fic talks human language (either through actual voice or telepathy) for no appropriate reason. But if do it right, it can become a key element used to develop Pokemon characteristics.

In the current fic I'm working, many of the Pokemon can talk human language using telepathy, where such phenomenon causes many researchers to study about it. It will be reveal in the later chapters that the reason behind such phenomenon is one major constituent for the plot development.
    Most of what you said I agree with, especially not overdoing it. However, most of the Pokemon who can talk, usually, as you noted, use telepathy, and these Pokemon are almost always either Psychic types, which makes sense, or legendary Pokemon, which imply legend-worthy powers, such as telepathy. One notable exception to this, which you also noted, is Meowth. However, even though he didn't use telepathy, he made a conscious effort to learn (insert default human language for country of anime here.) What I was more referring to though, are the wild Pokemon, who neither have inherent Psychic powers, and have most likely never even heard humans speak, yet can speak-speak. Of course, the in-and-of itself could lead to an interesting fanfic, but when it's never explored, and there's no reason given to it, leaving it as being little more than a novelty, it bothers me. It's similar to the Pokemon being outside of their Pokeballs explanation I gave. Anything is okay, so long as it furthers the story, and is given some sort of explanation, or is at least plausible.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anything is okay, so long as it furthers the story, and is given some sort of explanation, or is at least plausible.
    I would even drop the last two and say that anything that furthers the story is okay. Implausible things tend to be non-okay only because they don't further the story.

I have my Pokémon speak, mostly because it's convenient at times.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    Excellent point--what's scarier to me is NOT seeing the monster/psycho.
    Unfortunately, horror filmmakers nowadays try to impress audience with showing the monster.

On that same note, how about unlikeable characters (or canon characters made unlikeable) who are in a horrific situation yet you hate them enough to want them to die?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    Excellent point--what's scarier to me is NOT seeing the monster/psycho.
    Unfortunately, horror filmmakers nowadays try to impress audience with showing the monster.

On that same note, how about unlikeable characters (or canon characters made unlikeable) who are in a horrific situation yet you hate them enough to want them to die?
    You mean characters that are horrible people, so much so that you can't feel sorry for them even in their circumstances. I can see that being a problem, particularly if the story makes it clear that you ARE supposed to empathize with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    You mean characters that are horrible people, so much so that you can't feel sorry for them even in their circumstances.
    Yeah. Maybe it's because those kind of writers see them as "relatable."

Where is my Mega Zoroark? Bad Apple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For me, it's including Canon characters in the story. If it's my own OC's, then it's totally fine because I know exactly how they act and how they react to different situations.

But if it's a Canon, it's not my own character. I don't always know how they'd react to something, I don't know everything about their personality. And when I use both Canon and OC, I'm always afraid that I'll end up glorifying my own character, so I give the canon all the attention because I don't want to seem like a Suethor (definition: Author of Mary Sue stories).
    "I see you have no soul. Want mine? It's black and gooey" -The Frozen Man

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast