The Weekly Prompt Thread - Page 14

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Weekly Prompt Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Weekly Prompt Thread

This is my first time doing one of these "Weekly Prompts," sooooo here goes...

Oz rested peacefully with the brim of his hat pulled low over his face, his back propped against the tree topping the hill-like back of his sleeping Torterra, Gaia. Overhead, Flutter the Swoobat hung upside down from a branch by clasping it with her tail. Her furred body swayed in the occasional breeze, leaving her to gather her wings about her to brace against the slight chill as she dozed. Caesar, Oz’s Arcanine, lay nearby, sitting guard like a Chinese Shisa statue with his mighty maned head held high. The other Pokémon of the team resided in their Pokéballs, still recovering from the intense tournament from the previous night. The midday sun beamed above them, and it was the perfect time to relax and unwind from another victory.

Oz’s messenger bag was lying against Gaia’s grassy carapace, the buckles fastened snuggly and the strap slung around one of the jagged rocks jutting from the Pokémon’s back. Caesar eyed it, suddenly caught by an intense curiosity. His master held the items within it very dear, and the large dog-like creature couldn’t help but wonder about its contents. Caesar could be described as many things; brave, loyal, proud, and at times quite rambunctious, but never mischievous. Now, however, he was fighting a strong temptation of a very roguish nature. Soon, he found himself inching toward the bag on his belly, his head ducked low and his eyes locked on the object.

Hesitating only briefly, Caesar gingerly took the pack in his mouth and edged it up the rock, struggling to free the strap from Gaia’s back without waking anyone. He laid the pack on the ground soon after, glancing at his trainer often. Oz’s hat obscured his face, but he didn’t stir once, enough to grant Caesar the courage to continue in his subversion.

Now he came to the buckles. His paws were much too large to do much help, and using his teeth would mar the bag terribly. He crossed his paws and placed his chin upon them, considering his dilemma for a moment. Tiredness soon took hold, and the Arcanine’s eyelids began to droop. Suddenly, he heard a faint click, and his eyes popped open to see the bag’s clasps unbuckling themselves as if by magic. A low whine escaped him as he continued to stare blankly until movement from above caught his attention. There was Flutter still hanging upside down, her winds spread some and her head twisted in an attempt to view Caesar upright. Her eyes glowed a faint pink as she used Psychic to open the bag with ease.

Caesar whined again and wagged his tail at his companion, who silently flitted from Gaia’s tree to the ground by Oz’s bag and waddled closer on her feet. Whereas this behavior was somewhat out of character for Caesar, Flutter was most comfortable with mischief and found herself gleefully interested with helping out in the investigation of the master’s possessions. Caesar, glad to have the assistance, nosed the flap of the bag open and tried to peer inside. Flutter, impatient as always, hopped upon it and clasped it with her feet, flying upward and noisily spilling the contents all over the grass. Caesar’s eyes snapped back to Oz and Flutter spun around, both waiting tensed and ready for trouble. Oz didn’t budge, so the two slowly returned to their business.

Flutter dropped the bag back on the ground and hopped over to the items, and Caesar bent his head over them. The Pokédex which they’d come to know was facedown, various medicinal items and spare Pokéballs strewn around it. Nothing grabbed interest until they noticed another book sprawled open to one side. The two Pokémon crowded around it, Flutter’s small head dwarfed by Caesar’s, and they slowly managed to read the title: Once Upon. Caesar righted the book with his nose, and Flutter began to flip the pages with the tip of one wing.

The first few pages were beautifully illustrated, colorful images of fairy tale creatures and fantasy landscapes enrapturing the two of them. Caesar woofed lowly at each picture while Flutter squeaked excitedly, and the two failed to notice the low groan of someone awoken by their activity. Gaia, blinking her bleary eyes slowly, yawned and looked around to see her two partners absorbed in the book. She stood slowly to her feet and lumbered nearer, carefully pushing her head in next to the surprised duo to see what was going on. Soon, she too was marveling at the fanciful portraits.

Finally, Flutter turned a page and they were met by one without a picture. Instead, it was small print scrawled across the paper, indecipherable to the three. They gazed at the page and then at each other glumly, and Flutter began to flip through once again. Page after page, they saw the tiny writing and no pictures. Flutter’s Psychic soon took over, flying through the pages until they finally stop halfway through the book. The page was blank, not a single jot upon it. The three were now thoroughly confused, starting at first at the book and then at each other.

“It isn’t finished yet, guys.” The three scrambled wildly, Gaia tucking as much of herself into her shell as she could, Flutter rocketing into the sky, and Caesar up on his feet and staring with wide eyes at Gaia’s back. Oz sat with his arms folded across his chest and his eyes peering from beneath his hat, his mouth pressed into a stern line. As Flutter slowly descended and Gaia peeked her head back out, Caesar faced Oz with his head hung low, ready to be scolded for his behavior.

“Flutter, bring me the book.” Flutter quickly retrieved it while Caesar continued to stand by mutely. Oz took the tome into his hands and flipped through the first few pages slowly, taking his time as the three Pokémon stood by tensely. Suddenly, a smirk appeared on the Trainer’s face, soon transforming into a grin accompanied by a hearty laugh. Flutter was first to be relieved, chittering and doing aerial somersaults while Gaia hummed happily beneath Oz. Caesar, however, was inconsolable, stepping forward and placing his large head on his master’s lap. Oz laughed again warmly, kissing the Arcanine soundly upon the snout and rubbing one of his big ears. Despite his remorse, Caesar’s tail began to wag vigorously.

“What if I read it to you guys?” the young man asked his companions. He flipped past the illustrations to the first page of writing, settling back against the tree once more and clearing his throat. Gaia lowered herself back down, settling in to listen, as Flutter returned to her branch right above Oz. Caesar whined again, looking at the mess of Oz’s things on the ground, but the Trainer shook his head with a grin and simply said, “Later,” and pulled the Pokémon’s head back into his lap.

“Once upon a time, there was a lonely Trainer. Little did he know that he would soon embark on the adventure of a lifetime. During this adventure, he would struggle against the forces of evil, encounter beings of incredible strength and wonder, and learn the true meanings of friendship and love. This journey would introduce him to a whole array of people and Pokémon that were destined for greatness, like a Gentle Giant,” Oz tapped Gaia’s shell with his heel, “an Impish Acrobat,” he glanced upward at the hanging Flutter, “and a Brave Guardian.” Oz paused, looking fondly at the face in his lap, the face of his first Pokémon and one of his truest friends.

“Do you guys like the story so far?” The three responded simultaneously, Gaia bellowing strongly, Flutter letting out a shrill cry, and Caesar unleashing a piercing howl. Oz smiled once more before returning to the page, continuing the story of how he had come to be the happiest Trainer imaginable.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

::applauds:: That was very good! I'd want to know more about your character and his Pokemon.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Thanks! They come from the fanfic I was working on for a while, which has pretty much died at this point. I'm thinking of using the weekly prompts to help me work out some of the kinks in my writing style before revising and redoing my fic. If some of the upcoming prompts allow for it, perhaps I'll do some flashbacks that would occur during the fic's timeline to better establish the characters. Thanks again!

Blog Entries

Anytime. Remember that you are not required to use the prompt I have posted--they are all available as a master list on the first page.

Blog Entries

I threw this one together last night and cleaned it up a little today; it's for the prompt of "riding out a storm."

The rain fell in sheets, and thunder rolled ominously in the distance. A chill swept across Oz’s shoulders, pulling his gaze away from the dark skies. He stepped away from the window and looked around the cabin. It was just a medium-sized room with a cot in one corner and a cabinet against the opposite wall. Rangers kept the resting house well stocked for trainers in need of a break on the lengthy route by the sea, but Oz was hard pressed to consider this place a safe haven even with the squall raging outside.

After pacing up and down for a time and rifling through the cabinet aimlessly, Oz crawled onto the small bed with absolutely no intention of sleeping. The storm wasn’t the problem; Oz usually loved thunderstorms. It was the storm here, in this cabin, at night. He was flooded with memories of a near identical night from a year ago, and he was terrified the events would somehow repeat themselves.

Though he desperately needed the company of his partners, the frightened trainer had put them into their Pokéballs to spare them what he now suffered alone. Every lightning bolt and every thunderclap rattled the cabin violently, and Oz could barely contain the whimpers caught in his throat. When he finally could take no more, he lunged off the bed for his bag that he had dropped near the window and grabbed the first ball he could get his hands on. Though he had grabbed at random, somehow he knew that the companion he especially needed right then would be in it.

“Rigg!” he exclaimed as he pressed the capsule’s release button. Oz threw his arms around the big blue Feraligatr, trembling and near tears. Rigg immediately drew his trainer close and grumbled almost threateningly at their surroundings. The bipedal crocodile knew exactly what was wrong with this place. Oz clung to him, taking comfort in the Pokémon’s protectiveness and cool skin in the muggy atmosphere, while Rigg peered out the window, searching the skies and sea through the deluge for signs of danger.

“I’m okay now,” Oz sniffled, pulling back from his companion and wiping his face. He smiled weakly at Rigg, but the brutish-looking Feraligatr grumbled again and continued to watch dutifully. Oz patted his Pokémon’s belly fondly and returned to the cot, feeling immensely safer with Rigg standing guard.

Oz didn’t know how long he dozed, but he was suddenly awoken by a distant rumble unlike any thunder he’d ever heard. As he slowly sat up on the mattress, another rumble echoed much nearer than the last, sending another chill down his spine. Rigg stood rigidly at the window, his huge jaw set tightly. Oz moved to him and looked out at the object of his fears moving toward the cabin. An enormous shadow outlined by the lightning slithered through the sea, intermittently unleashing bellows from its gaping maw. As it moved nearer, the creature’s scales gleamed crimson red in the flashing light.

“A Red Gyarados,” Oz choked out. Just like that night a year ago, the night Oz nearly died. The complete memory of that night crashed through his mind:

They had stopped to ride out the storm. Oz had only recently received his third badge, and a particularly jolly Totodile had just joined his merry band. He and his team were sleeping peacefully despite the storm when the scarlet monster attacked. With one unprovoked tail sweep, half the cabin was demolished and all but one of Oz’s companions were critically incapacitated in the rubble. Oz sat vulnerably on the bed with little Rigg in his arms, the humongous sea serpent looming hungrily overhead. It considered him for a moment as he shivered in the rain, struggling to hold down the Totodile to keep him from harm. The Gyarados lashed out suddenly, and Oz flung Rigg from himself as he was dragged into sea. Rigg, however, recovered quickly and dove into the water, launching into a full assault on the creature’s impenetrable hide. As the Gyarados swam deeper with its meal and Oz’s time ran short, the desperate Totodile packed all his might into his jaws and used Bite on the monster’s left eye. It shrieked in pain and released the trainer, who Rigg quickly grabbed and swam for the bank. Oz survived that night solely because of his new friend, but the traumatic event had haunted the two companions ever since.

Now, another crimson creature barreled across the water toward them, and Oz’s terror froze him to the spot. Rigg, however, was suddenly on the move. With astonishing agility for his bulk, the Feraligatr swept through the cabin and out the door, preparing for battle.

“What are you doing?” Oz cried, chasing his Pokémon out into the rain and stopping short on the beach. The Gyarados had reached the bank and now writhed before them, one marled eye blinking more rapidly than the other healthy one. It was the very same monster from before, and its glower made its recognition of them evident. It roared menacingly, but Rigg squared off in front of Oz protectively and roared back in the beast’s face.

A high-pressure blast of water fired from the Red Gyarados’ mouth straight at Oz and Rigg, but the Feraligatr swiftly used his tail to knock Oz away from the danger zone. As the trainer struggled to rise a short distance away, Rigg shrugged off the Hydro Pump and bared his teeth at his opponent, a moment later lunging for the monster’s throat. The Gyarados’ bellow was cut short as its windpipe was crushed in Rigg’s jaws, and it began to shake and flounce around in an attempt to dislodge its attacker.

Oz stood watching aghast, barely able to recognize the ferocious Pokémon now putting a vice grip on a creature three times its size. Rigg had never been cowardly, but the sheer violence the Pokémon now displayed was far out of his character. The red monster managed finally to fling Rigg away, locking it sights on Oz and grinning grotesquely. Just like that night before, it lunged at Oz, but this time it had no intention of dragging him into the sea; it was going to kill him then and there. Oz braced himself for the attack, but Rigg lurched into the creature’s path and snapped a powerful Crunch across it’s good eye.

The beast shrieked in agony, now fully blinded. It writhed and twitched in pain, retreating clumsily back into the sea. Rigg stood panting, shoulders hunched and jaw agape, and Oz slowly rose and placed a hand on his companion’s scaled face. The Feraligatr flinched, then looked guiltily at his master.

“You saved me again,” Oz said, his voice thick with emotion. The rain slowed to a drizzle, the clouds drifting apart and beams of sunlight descending from above. Oz and Rigg stared at each other, and their faces slowly broke into smiles. Soon, they were laughing gleefully and hugging each other; the storm had passed, and their nightmare was finally over.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you, Rigg,” Oz said with a grin. Rigg grumbled happily, then busting out in a jolly roar. It was his way of saying, “You’ll never have to.”

Blog Entries

That was very nice--I love just how close Oz and his Pokemon are, and I hope to see more stuff featuring them.

Blog Entries

Your prompt this week:

Your character's Pokemon travel to an amusement park--what do they see and what rides do they go on?

Blog Entries

Oh, heck to the yes! I don't care that I have finals this week: I am writing on this prompt! Great one, LT! I'll have a new short within a couple days!

Blog Entries

I can't wait to see it

Awesome! I can totally incorporate this into my project. Will have a short posted sometimes before the week is out.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange
    No matter what you do, I will be who I will be. The question is, who are you?

Blog Entries

Take your time--you can write as much or as little as you want

Blog Entries

Your prompt this week:

Your Pokemon enjoy the long summer days--what do they do?

Blog Entries

Your prompt this week:

Your character's Pokemon come along on vacation with their master--where do they go, and what do they do?

The midsummer sun scorched the sand, while gentle ocean waves rolled on the shore. Under the shade of an umbrella sat a boy. His hazel eyes were the same shade as his messy brown hair, and a general air of relaxation surrounded him as he watched his Pokémon. His Samurott stood aloof, watching the others stoically. A Jellicent swam about in the water, more at home than it had been in weeks. A Leavanny playfully splashed a Scrafty, who kicked back, laughing. Nearby, a Darminitan and Archeops avoided the waves. Archeops was buried in sand, dozing off, and Darminitan sat lazily near its trainer, soaking up sunlight. The boy with the hazel eyes thought about the future. Undella Town was waiting to be explored. There was the house of the Riches, a local family whom the boy thought he should visit. There was also the local underwater ruins, which locals said held great treasure- and a curse. But the boy couldn't forget about the rumours that reported of a fellow champion in Undella Town. Cynthia could wait, the boy decided. He leaned back and his thoughts turned to the future as he gazed at the infinite sea.
    Follow a former Rocket Executive as she searches for Giovanni! Wait, a male Gardevoir? This and more on my fanfic:
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/where-world-giovanni-pg-15-a-124521/

Blog Entries

Very nice--I like your character's lineup and how you've characterized them.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast