Wanting to write something out of order....

Thread: Wanting to write something out of order....

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Wanting to write something out of order....

So "Pokemon: Magic of a Melody" is approaching the halfway point, and while I have the fourth arc planned (exploring some desert ruins), it's the fifth arc (a tournament arc) that I find myself wanting to write...so should I write the arc I really want to write (by switching the ruby's and the lapis' arc's around), or write both at the same time?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wanting to write something out of order....

you could switch the arcs around if you want to write a tourney arc first

YouTube (Minecraft Season 2 (1.0) up) | GPX+ | First Fic | Twitter | My site |
    Avatar made by Aori | click the banner to go to my Forum | white friend code - 4427 4825 2666

Blog Entries

That's what I'm seriously thinking about doing

I find that when I'm faced with an issue of this kind, I push through and write the part that I didn't really feel like writing. It sounds crazy, but that ends up being the more careful and well-thought-out piece because I'm putting in more effort to make it something others want to read. It's like a result of compensating or something... but that's just me.

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Right now I'm in a similar situation: I'm in the mood to write the story's climax, but I still have at least six chapters to go before that even starts! This isn't the first time I've felt this way, though, and I agree with Trouble on how to solve it. Just power through! What's to say that you'll want to write the desert ruins arc once you're done with the tournament one? Just get it done and out of the way while you still have the fun part ahead, encouraging you to write.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

I had this problem when I was writing Rival's Story. I find it's best not to change the order of your story just because you want to write something else first but you risk getting bored of writing if you don't want to write what you're doing.

Basically, what happened with me was before Blue had even reached Fuchsia City, I came up with a great idea for his battle against Blaine and really wanted to write it. I became bored of what I was writing and lost focus. What I did to remedy this was write 2 chapters about the start of the battle with Blaine then proceeded to continue with the story in the place that I left it. From there I found it quite easy to fill in the blanks between where I was and where I wanted to be. Perhaps you could try that?

Blog Entries

I have managed to come up how the story would work if I switched the arcs around--thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    I have managed to come up how the story would work if I switched the arcs around--thanks for all the feedback, everyone!
    In that case, it's probably best to switch them around after all. Perhaps by the time you get to writing the next arc you'll have thought of a better way to do it.

Blog Entries

I explained in the most recent episode that the desert city my party is currently close to has an arena of its own. Once the tournament ends, they find out about the desert ruins after a little filler