Views on Reboots?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By some colour no doubt
  • 2 Post By Gama

Thread: Views on Reboots?

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Views on Reboots?

Hi there, a few of the older users may recognise me, but i imagine none of you newer ones will. Basically, a few years ago, i had a relatively well received fic going, called Seasons, and was wondering, if i were to reboot this fic from the beginning (with changes of course, not just copy and pasting the same chapters), would it be well received? Or would it better for me to start a new project from scratch?

Either way, i'm hoping to return to the workshop in a few weeks, and if it not with Seasons itself, it may be following the stories main character, Samia, but at an earlier stage of his trainer career, before he achieved what he had in Seasons.

Let me know what you think guys, i'd appreciate and feedback and views that people would have on this, and to my old friends, Hello!

Thanks,
    Some Colour No Doubt

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default Re: Views on Reboots?

I don't mind reboots, I rebooted my fic. some while back. Other authors who have had reboots are @Tsutarja; Essence of Life writer and Legacy The Power Inside/ Pocket Monsters The Battle Quest writer. Reboots come off as less-lazy and really shows the author cares about their work, retconning something is annoying and you'll definitely find things that flow better as you go along with the story and be all "I wish I could have done this...blah blah." Reboots are a very effective way to really fix up any kinks in the beta-version of said fic. and change a lot of things up for the better. I don't mind reboots at all. Whether the reboot would be well-received would be based on how good the story is.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Reboots are good! If you can make the story better in some way, go for it! It improves your skills. I rewrote my Zelda fic a few times over before it became what it is now. Although, still be cautious. Some things are better off left the way they are. As they say, don't fix what isn't broken. :P

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

BWAAHHHHHHHHH YOU'RE BACK! ITHOUGHTYOUDIED

I think reboots are great, assuming you have a significant amount to change. It tends to be better than retconning. Especially in your case where you're coming back after so long. You might as well start anew, even if it's with an old idea.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

I'm currently working on a few fics. I would love to one day reboot it. I'd give a read. I'm not familiar with you though.

Blog Entries

I vote yes for rebooting, SCND.

Glad to see you back. It's like a reunion around these parts lately.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

I don't mind reboots, but I tend not to do them myself. I prefer to finish the fic before I publish the first chapter, which is why none of my works have made their way into the workshop yet.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

I certainly don't have a problem with reboots in any way, though its my personal experience that authors who start reboots tend to let it drag on and then abandon the stories all together. But as long as you don't intend for that to happen, by all means, reboot away!

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Canadian Sweetheart Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

I think reboots are fine, because usually, the story is better the second time after you've sat and let all the ideas marinate for a bit longer. As time goes on, I think a writer naturally becomes better at writing the more they do it, meaning the reboot has the potential to be even better. As long as you have the motivation to restart the story, I'd say go for it :D

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback guys! its nice to know that even though i've been gone a while the community is as helpful as ever, always willing to aid a fellow writer.

On a quick note however, before i did begin posting a rebooted Seasons, i'll probably put out some one-shots as it's been a while since i wrote on this scale and format, so i wouldn't want to just jump in at the deep end.

I should be around the workshop, catching up with stuff, so if you want me to take a look at your fic especially, just let me know!

Some Colour No Doubt
    Legacy likes this.

Blog Entries

Reboots often seem needed, especially if your writing style changes or improves. Also, if you get plenty of ideas that you can't work with due to established facts and history but would help the overall plot of your story, a reboot is nice.

You do run the risk of people not wanting to reread it as they already have a general idea of what's going on, but you could also catch new readers who want to start with something small and "new", and then follow it.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

I would definitely read a re-boot of Seasons. Jeez, with you and @Legacy; (King of Reboots) back and writing it's like a revival party. Maybe I should get writing again too?
    Legacy and AetherX like this.

Blog Entries

Hey! I'm writing!

It's just taking some time. :P

But yeah, SCND, I say go for it.

I love boots! So stylish. So yes, I'm all for re-boots as well :)

Blog Entries

So yeah, thanks for the feedback guys, and I am happy to say i'm back working on Seasons! Should hopefully have the prologue out on friday (as it doesn't require to much change) and subsequent chapters to follow over the next few weeks. Thanks for the support guys, really appreciate it and I hope to speak to you in and around the workshop!

P.S if there's anything people want me to read/review, just let me know and i'll do my best to get around to it :)

Some Colour No Doubt