Tips on Writing a Good Journey Fic - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tips on Writing a Good Journey Fic

Staring down the barrel of a flintlock musket
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How Fast Should a Good Journey Fic Go?

Have a flow. Don't do this:

Chapter 1: Main Character gets Pokémon.
    Chapter 2: Main Character wins first badge.
    Chapter 3: Main Character gets another Pokémon.
    Chapter 4: Main Character gets second badge.

And don't do this, either:

Chapter 2: Filler.
    Chapter 3: Filler.
    Chapter 4: Filler.
    Chapter 5: FIller.
    Chapter 2: Main Character gets first badge.

It can really flow at any speed, just as long as plot-related things happen in almost every chapter. Don't substitute "plot-related thing" with "something that happened slightly differently two chapters ago", though. That will just make for a bland story.

So no, don't separate gym battles with filler. Separate them with actual stuff. It could be stuff that sets up for other stuff many chapters in advance, but it still has to be stuff.

And no, don't force the speed. It should have flow. Nobody wants to read "AND THEN THEY WALKED OUT OF THE BUILDING AND MAGICALLY APPEARED IN THE NEXT GYM THROUGH THE POWER OF MAGNETS".

Creating a journey isn't all about badges or catching Pokémon. It's about developing characters, piecing together a plot, and showing that your character worked to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And please, please, PLEASE, please, please, don't go with the cookie-cutter plot from the games and Annie May.

Field Research
    Chapter 47- Angels of Pewter

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GIROG View Post
    Have a flow. Don't do this:

Chapter 2: Main Character wins first badge.
    Chapter 3: Main Character gets another Pokémon.
    Chapter 4: Main Character gets second badge.

And don't do this, either:

Chapter 2: Filler.
    Chapter 3: Filler.
    Chapter 4: Filler.
    Chapter 5: Filler.
    Chapter 2: Main Character gets first badge.
    At least, don't try and structure it in terms of chapters. If an event feels like it takes up more than you want it to, let it. It's more natural that way.

So no, don't separate gym battles with filler. Separate them with actual stuff. It could be stuff that sets up for other stuff many chapters in advance, but it still has to be stuff.
    Separate them with filler, and actual stuff. Filler is sometimes necessary. But use it sparingly.

Personally, I think that if a chunk of filler gets big enough, it becomes part of the plot as well. Like the costume battle in Generation 2021. That had nothing to do with anything at first (even after the fact of the matter), but later on, I found a way to integrate it completely.

Of course, that's providing that the chunk of filler is not just stuff repeated.

*edit* Actually, why are we even talking about "separating" the gym battles? The Gym battles are no more or less important than any other part of a good journey fic. They may be milestones, but it's not like we set bookmarks for the Gym battles and write the whole story around them.

And no, don't force the speed. It should have flow. Nobody wants to read "AND THEN THEY WALKED OUT OF THE BUILDING AND MAGICALLY APPEARED IN THE NEXT GYM THROUGH THE POWER OF MAGNETS".
    And nobody likes to read "And then they walked out of the building, caught another Pokémon, and magically appeared in the next Gym by the power of Giratina's space distortion" either.

Creating a journey isn't all about badges or catching Pokémon. It's about developing characters, piecing together a plot, and showing that your character worked to be the very best, like no one ever was.
    Indeed.

And please, please, PLEASE, please, please, don't go with the cookie-cutter plot from the games and Annie May.
    Who's Annie May?
    Last edited by Zekurom; 31st January 2011 at 11:22 PM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

The Dude Abides

The very concept of "filler" exists because of lazy manga and anime writers who couldn't be arsed to give non-plot centric chapters or episodes significance through character development. Nothing should be filler.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    The very concept of "filler" exists because of lazy manga and anime writers who couldn't be arsed to give non-plot centric chapters or episodes significance through character development. Nothing should be filler.
    Oops. I've been referring to all non-plot-centric episodes as "filler".
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tips on Writing a Good Journey Fic

So, I've modified the title slightly just to hopefully have people add their thoughts about what in general a good journey fic should have aside from the right pace.

Any thoughts in regards to the number of main characters, the amount of filler to use, the focus on catching pokemon, battling, a side story, etc?

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Main characters: Depends on the length of the story. Since you intended for it to be a trilogy, I'd say introduce more than 10 main character, but not all at the first chapter. They could come and go and return. Some can be introduced in the second story, some in the first chapter but don't gain their main character status until the start of the last story, be creative.

Filler: Not so much... Keep it as character and plot involved as possible.

Focus: Since you want a journey fic, the focus should be those of the games, unless you want to deviate. Collect Pokémon/Badges. I personally am planning a Journey fic where the focus is completing the Pokédex rather than battle the champion, and the main character's traveling companion is the one collecting Badges.

You can switch it up in any way you like. The character could change his mind mid-journey, and return to it some chapters later (character development).

I would say detail only the important battles, not the ones that are for training. For example:

Trainer A had battled a few lasses before getting here, but he was now ready to battle Brock; the training was surely to pay off.
    And you detail Brock's battle.

The side story doesn't have to be different, it could be another character wanting to get Badges as well. You could have the two in a friendly rivalry where they race to the Gym, and whoever get there first battles first while the other has to wait outside.

That's all I can think about for now... Good luck!

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

What's great about a journey fic is you can have a ton of side stories. Focusing entirely on gym battles gets boring and predictable. As mentioned above, have a few main/supporting characters come and go. In my opinion, a good way to do things is give each temporary character their own side story. If you have three or four of them, constantly alternating, things stay interesting without getting confusing or seeming forced. At least, that's the way I approach things. Hope it helps.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice guys!

What do people think about the best techniques or tips for intertwining an evil subplot to the journey? For example, in the games, the player usually encounters the evil team and ultimately thwarts their scheme in the end.

Is this too cliche or is this something that is okay to do? If so, how would you handle it so it's actually interesting?

Blog Entries

My upcoming fanfic, Pokemon Adventures: Diamond & Pearl, is a journey fic (as if the title didn't make it obvious). I make it episodic in a way and divide the acts into 4 chapters each so I don't cram too much into one chapter.

I write the story so that it's face paced while being long enough to develop the trainer characters and their Pokemon (most of them anyways).

Blog Entries

Encountering the villain really depends on the villain.

If they a HUGE organisation like the ones in the games, then the main character will run into them eventually when they take over a city or a town.

If the villain is someone who was a rival then became much more evil, then the main character would know him from the beginning.

If the villain is just some one thief/murder/criminal of any sort, then that would have to be written into the plot. It could mirror EP002 where the villains were introduced by the means of "our hero accidentally crosses path with the evil duo and their talking cat".

Blog Entries

I think it could be much more interesting if the main villain actually succeeds in his goals, but is then defeated.

Blog Entries

Wasn't this done with Team Magma/Aqua and Galactic (Semi)?

They awakened the legendary they wanted to, but then realised that it was a bad thing. Galactic managed to summon the Pokémon they wanted to create a new world, they didn't manage to, but they still achieved the next-to-last step.

I think that it gives a feel of "Oh no, it's all over..." Then something happens and it works out. In my opinion, this could end up cheesy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    Wasn't this done with Team Magma/Aqua and Galactic (Semi)?

They awakened the legendary they wanted to, but then realised that it was a bad thing. Galactic managed to summon the Pokémon they wanted to create a new world, they didn't manage to, but they still achieved the next-to-last step.

I think that it gives a feel of "Oh no, it's all over..." Then something happens and it works out. In my opinion, this could end up cheesy.
    I'm talking about the villain actually accomplishing that last step, and then the hero has to figure out a way to stop the villain's global domination/whatever.

Blog Entries

As in Team Aqua/Magma, they did finish the last step, but then regretted it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Any thoughts in regards to the number of main characters
    Have a main group of 3-4 people, no more, no less. Think about their relationships, interactions, etc. Once that's done, for the members of that group who have competitive goals, 1-3 rivals that you'll developp and that will appear sporadically. Then of course, the antagonists have to have a few recognizable figure.

the amount of filler to use
    I wouldn't say filler but anything not directly pertaining to a character's goal or fighting the evil team, catching, battling, etc. like say, travelling through a forest, should be about developping your characters and strenghtening their bonds. Explore the backstory of a character (or a pokémon)

the focus on catching pokemon, battling, a side story, etc?
    That depends on your characters and the premisse of your story. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    What do people think about the best techniques or tips for intertwining an evil subplot to the journey?
    I agree with what Kyuuketsuki said, but I'd add, make it personal. Having a hero fight the evil empire just cause its evil is a bit bland and will lead your hero to make long winded speeches about freedom and peace and equality...

Have a hero fight the evil empire because a general from the evil empire killed his father on the other hand, while cliché is effective and is gonna give you hero an incentive to defeat the evil empire.

Also, friends turned vilains, always effective if you don't telegraph it (that was one the very few weakness of ASL and TPI in my opinion, is that I could tell Leaf/Moss would betray Ash almost from the get go). Someone the hero has always trusted or is related to turns out to be evil is a good way to go about it, since again, it makes it personal.
    Last edited by Hellion; 17th February 2011 at 05:57 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast