Tips on Writing a Good Journey Fic - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tips on Writing a Good Journey Fic

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How Fast Should a Good Journey Fic Go?

A Savior's Legacy was the most viewed story on Bulbagarden ever and TPI is currently third most. I think if anyone's in a position to try and make that kind of story, it's you, Legacy.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    A Savior's Legacy was the most viewed story on Bulbagarden ever.
    It's also the most replied-to fic.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Haha well I appreciate you guys bringing that up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was great. There were lots of things about ASL/TPI that were lacking...namely the depth of characters and interaction between charcters.

This is something I hope to work on thru this new project. So we shall see...

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Haha well I appreciate you guys bringing that up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was great.
    Well I'm sure it has something to do with it :p
    I'll reiterate what people have said here. If someone could break this ridculous taboo that journey fics are dull (which is completely false), it would be you.
    Of course, you had a few OC's in your last fics, but it will be interesting to see how you handle a fic full of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by some colour no doubt View Post
    I'll reiterate what people have said here. If someone could break this ridculous taboo that journey fics are dull (which is completely false), it would be you.
    That being said, we also have many other lovely training fics here too, like Rival's Story or Encounters: Blinto (which suspiciously hasn't been updated for at least two months now) or even Stainless Steel, but a fic written by you would have the most impact by far.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Haha well I appreciate you guys bringing that up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was great. There were lots of things about ASL/TPI that were lacking...namely the depth of characters and interaction between charcters.

This is something I hope to work on thru this new project. So we shall see...
    If you recognise these problems, then you can work on them. That just means that your new fic might surpass these other two.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I think it is important to have a gap between each gym/contest hall/whatever you journey is, but the episodes set in Routes or Mountains need to be interesting and actually move the plot. Not just have several Pokemon caught or evolved in these areas: a confrontation for a rival or the villianous team, smething dramatic happens to help the character learn a lesson etc. You don't want a year's worth of filler episodes between won badges, so make a few route stories between gym chapters. :)

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

It's completely up to the author and what pace s/he wants to tell the story. In some situations it makes sense to have a journey fic be fast-paced, in other situations it comes across feeling rushed. It largely depends on how many sub-plots you've got going on and how focused your story is on the gym aspect.

coming 2011

Blog Entries

Apparently some people have commented that Generation 2021 is both very fast-paced and very slow-paced.

Try getting that kind of pace under control :P

The Dude Abides

My advice for avoiding filler: have your main character have other objectives besides winning badges and conquering a Pokemon league. Heck, never settle for having their rational for becoming a Pokemon Master just be "because they want to be the best". They should want it to prove themselves to someone (parents, mentor, their crush, themself), because the world is in danger (do not use this one very often), for fun, because they have nothing better to do, because they're looking for someone, because they need money, etc. That objective should be the central focus of all chapters that are not battle-centric. It's not filler if important events in any of the main characters' emotional journeys happen. Character evolution is how you hook readers, how you get them to keep coming back. That, and/or a crackerjack plot, but since journey fics have really predictable beats, that one's hard to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    That, and/or a crackerjack plot, but since journey fics have really predictable beats, that one's hard to do.
    What's a Crackerjack plot?

The Dude Abides

Oh, sorry, I mean a really gripping plot with a lot of momentum, one that once you get into, you have to follow it to the end.

Blog Entries

Oh, sorry, I mean a really gripping plot with a lot of momentum, one that once you get into, you have to follow it to the end.
    Oh. *slinks away guiltily*

I thought you meant a plot with lots of surprises at every end, like there is in a Cracker Jack box. Ah well.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    Oh. *slinks away guiltily*

I thought you meant a plot with lots of surprises at every end, like there is in a Cracker Jack box. Ah well.
    Oh, that too!

Blog Entries

Oh, that too!
    For an example of a really Cracker-Jack plot, given that criterion, try reading Generation 2021. It does take a bit of time to get to the twisty parts, however.

(I'll stop whoring my fic out now >_>)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast