Time Skip Story

Thread: Time Skip Story

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Time Skip Story

As some of are probably aware, I've taken a bit of a break from writing here so I can focus on finishing my novel.

I've had an idea, though, or two ideas, more precisely.

The first is a collection of one shots with the collective title of 'The Boss'.

The idea is that each one shot will be a story that can stand alone but are all feature Giovanni as the main character, in the same 'verse. ('Crime Doesn't Take a Holiday' would probably be retconned to be part of that collection.)

It will jump backwards and forwards through Giovanni's life, showing random tidbits that I find to be interesting.

The second idea is a journey fic with entirely original characters and probably a new region.

The thing is, it will have something like 15-20 chapters in total. Each chapter will be a Gym/Elite Four/Rival/Champion battle and the intermediate chapters will be skipped out, probably with hints as to what happened between within the battle chapters.

What do you guys think of these two ideas?

Default Re: Time Skip Story

I like both ideas,especially the Giovanni one,but the journey fic idea seems ineresting as it will focus on what most readers find entertaining-the action. I just hope dropping out 'travel' chapters would still leave place for quality character development.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Bang, first idea. I like it. I don't have much of a choice, actually, as I'm doing exactly the same thing with Zero in a fic right now, but . . . yeah, it could - and can - work. My Zero-timeskip fic is still in planning and early drafting stages, but it does seem to be working well. The main thing that one needs to bear in mind is that the collection has to work as a whole without getting confusing. They all have to line up and associate with a central storyline. Maybe mine will do that more than yours, though, now I think of it, as it's very plot-based rather than a series of one-shots. The point remains, though, that some sort of link is almost always a good idea. Weaving things together a little bit probably helps with most of this kind of effort.

As for the second idea, I . . . also have something like that on the planner, to be honest. I was gonna do one as a prequel of sorts to Champion Game, so again I offer my wholehearted vote of confidence. Skipping the boring parts of a journey fic is something I've always fantasised about a little bit, and provided it's handled sensibly it could be a really good thing to see done.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misheard Whisper View Post
    Bang, first idea. I like it. I don't have much of a choice, actually, as I'm doing exactly the same thing with Zero in a fic right now, but . . . yeah, it could - and can - work. My Zero-timeskip fic is still in planning and early drafting stages, but it does seem to be working well. The main thing that one needs to bear in mind is that the collection has to work as a whole without getting confusing. They all have to line up and associate with a central storyline. Maybe mine will do that more than yours, though, now I think of it, as it's very plot-based rather than a series of one-shots. The point remains, though, that some sort of link is almost always a good idea. Weaving things together a little bit probably helps with most of this kind of effort.
    I don't think there will be any single storyline that will be consistent throughout all of the stories but there will be several strains that go through several one shots so they'll all be linked. They'll also have a running theme of the way Giovanni handles tricky situations.

As for the second idea, I . . . also have something like that on the planner, to be honest. I was gonna do one as a prequel of sorts to Champion Game, so again I offer my wholehearted vote of confidence. Skipping the boring parts of a journey fic is something I've always fantasised about a little bit, and provided it's handled sensibly it could be a really good thing to see done.
    Yeah, I have some ideas with how I would carry it out.