Social Commentary

Thread: Social Commentary

Default Social Commentary

In fiction, some stories take inspiration from social issues to help their stories seem more realistic as well as to speak out against said issues. Of course, fanfiction isn't really know for it but that's not to say it's never possible.

For the fic I'm writing, I explored how Team Plasma is able to recruit others with their fabricated goals and ideals. Like with simpleminded people who overlook certain things due to them not being deep (enough) thinkers and can persuaded into certain things. Example: I'm too stupid to make up my own mind - YouTube With Pokemon in society for generations, people accept them but don't think too much about why they like Pokemon or if it's wrong to own them and engage in battles with them. With Team Plasma, they take advantage of these simpletons (not to offend anyone) and pose questions for them to mull over. They never consider Pokemon battles or having Pokemon to be wrong, they just accepted it and Team Plasma confuses them.

I also show that the grunts who believe in TP's ideals aren't all dumb so much as they were easily persuaded and stubbornly believe it's correct and even enjoy themselves outside Team Plasma.

What are your thoughts on this? Or am I being too vague?

Default Re: Social Commentary

I think it really depends on whether the author has been influenced by any social issue, or whether or not it's relevant to their story.

As for your example on team plasma's manipulative ways, I think it relies more on people's ignorance, not how dumb they are.

COMING SOON!

Default Re: Social Commentary

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    As for your example on team plasma's manipulative ways, I think it relies more on people's ignorance, not how dumb they are.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I used the FG video for humor mostly.