A Simple Questions/Simple Answers thread for the Writers Workshop?

Thread: A Simple Questions/Simple Answers thread for the Writers Workshop?

Blog Entries

Default A Simple Questions/Simple Answers thread for the Writers Workshop?

Similar to the ones in other sections, we could ask questions about names for stories/characters/places, questions about grammar, tense, and spelling, and the like. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Simple Questions/Simple Answers thread for the Writers Workshop?

I've moved this thread to the Writer's Block since it is a discussion rather than an actual fic.

Anyway, I think this sounds like a good idea. Things like how to make contents pages and what is and isn't allowed always seem to come up as questions, might be nice to have a specific FAQ thread.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a good idea, and I wouldn't mind one, but it seems like most of the questions people have about the rules go into the Rules thread, and any questions regarding specific events go into the event thread themselves. We already have a World building thread in the Atlas, and a few character discussions scattered around the Block, ranging from Ages to Role to Recurring to Names. It seems the only thing that we're missing is a Grammar help thread, and there might be one, but I didn't spot any, nor searched.

I'm still open to the idea, because it's a good one to have everything compiled into one thread, which would make it easier for new members who have just joined the forum or the Writer's Workshop, but that would require the other threads to be closed, such as the Rules thread in the Workshop.

I feel so much spring... Cabaret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the idea and all, but we may need a definition of what exactly is a "simple question". Some writers might start a thread about, say "How to handle shipping in fics that aren't shipping fics." Well this might be considered a simple question with a simple answer, therefore the thread would be closed. I assume only technical questions will be considered simple questions?

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That would work more as a discussion, where everyone states what they think the answer would be. A simple question would be ones that have definitive answers, and don't deal with writing techniques and everything that goes into those, such as: "Explain Rule 3.", "Is it okay to post a story that is a crossover between things that aren't Pokémon?", or "Can you further explain the Review Exchange please?".

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuujux View Post
    I'm still open to the idea, because it's a good one to have everything compiled into one thread, which would make it easier for new members who have just joined the forum or the Writer's Workshop, but that would require the other threads to be closed, such as the Rules thread in the Workshop.
    Indeed, I think the same. A FAQ thread would practically replace the Rulebook thread, not to mention it would be far more useful.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library