Silph Co. (Brainstorm)

Thread: Silph Co. (Brainstorm)

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Silph Co. (Brainstorm)

My fic borrows quite heavily from the Gen 1 game plot and I'm almost to the part where the main characters retake Silph Co. from the control of Team Rocket. Now, my Silph Co. does a little bit more than just manufacture Pokemon related items. In the words of one of my characters: "We’re talking about the guys who invented the Poké Ball, which kind of changed the whole way we understand space and matter." So I'm imagining they'll have some pretty cool sci-fi tech in their HQ. My question for you is what kind of stuff do you think you would find in such an advanced company's R&D department?

I'm imagining a scene akin to the Department of Mysteries in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The heroes are either running away from or chasing after bad guys and as they do, they run through various doors. Behind each door is some weird tech that could hinder them, help them, or not affect them at all. Regardless, they probably can't explain whatever it is they come across. I've got a few ideas already, but the only one I'm definitely going to use at this point is my own version of the good old teleportation panels from the games. What do you think?

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Silph Co. (Brainstorm)

Someone trying to talk to Pokemon?

Maybe someone who's been turned into a Pokemon like Bill?

Weaponry that can be directly wielded by people that uses Pokemon moves?

Boots that make you go super fast? Boots that can make you walk on walls or ceilings? Anti-grav stuff?

Blog Entries

I had plans within my own story to have Silph Co. work with the regional science and research institute on a variety of general use technologies and gadgets. They included:

Shock Balls (A Pokeball that would paralyze a pokemon just before trying to capture it).
    An invisibility field that would cloak the user from view.
    Transporter technology (which, in the games, Silph Co. already uses).
    Research into safe and advanced forms of travel, such as magnet rails and space flight. I guess that since the Magnet Train has a stop in Saffron City in Gen II, it works here.
    Genetic modification of plants and berries.
    Synthesizing evolutionary stones, which in my fic were rare artifacts that you couldn't just buy on the open market.
    The R-Kit (basically a Poketch, but using a touch screen similar to today's smart phones).

I'm sure you could use some of these ideas as they're very broad and general. I'd have to give your story a read to suggest anything more personally tailored to your world though, as you may have established Silph Co.'s presence in the past already.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Shock Balls (A Pokeball that would paralyze a pokemon just before trying to capture it).
    Excuse me if this is off-topic, but that would make an awesome game mechanic.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Digging the responses, guys. Keep 'em coming! Although I don't plan on using any of your suggestions directly, they did inspire me and I'm keeping them in the back of my mind in case I want to use them when I'm in the flow of writing. Here's my list of stuff that the heroes will come across so far:

Teleporter panels
    A psychic ability "amplifier" (Got the idea from Gama's suggestion about talking to Pokemon, and it ties in perfectly with the overall storyline. I have a bit of a foreshadowing fetish)
    A sort of hologram projector that allows the user to take on the appearance of a Pokemon (for research purposes, but equally suited as a disguise)
    Perhaps something related to Rotom or Porygon

Like I said, there's a good chance I might throw in one or more of your ideas just as things the characters see but don't really interact with. Thanks a bunch for the help, I'm trying to anticipate writer's block ahead of time.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Hmm, do I have some ideas.

I think advanced prototypes of Porygon make the most sense.

Energy weaponry (lethal and less lethal) would make sense as well.

Miniaturized shield projectors that protect the wearer from pokemon attacks.

Antigravity/repulsorlift vehicle prototypes. Imagine a chase scene where the guys are riding speeder bikes or STAPs.

Mechs or exoskeletons for civilian or military purposes.

Pokemon performance enhancing drugs or implants.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The essence of Silph Co. for me was always the teleporter madness, the (for my 6-year-old-brain) nonsensical game of turn-off with switches, and there being 7 floors that tied the whole thing together. I got so lost in that place that it was the only time in the game I had to resort to using struggle.

Flavor-wise, one thing that always stuck out to me was this one scientist that spotted you and battled you, starting off saying "he was a helpless scientist bystander" before after-battle revealing that he had loyalties to Team Rocket and just snuck up into the ranks like corporate espionage.
    Oh?