Shut Up and Entertain Us: Moralizing in Authorial Works - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shut Up and Entertain Us: Moralizing in Authorial Works

The Dude Abides

Default Re: Shut Up and Entertain Us: Moralizing in Authorial Works

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth Pavell View Post

I agree with that. The opposite of the thread topic is also true - authors should not be obliged to moralise either. I seem to recall that Game of Thrones has been criticised for the level of violence towards women shown in the show, which strikes me as absurd. Especially in a fantasy world, authors should not be obliged to present their characters with the same values and ethics as the reader.
    I think that is generally just because a lot of people in Western society only view things from a modern Western standpoint. While violence against women is not okay, it was a large part of the type of society GRRM is writing about and should not be censored for the benefit of modern audiences.
    I believe that Martin's intent is to expose the misogyny of our society in an allegorical way. He could very easily have turned his female characters into stereotypes, but instead he's written some of the best female characters in the whole fantasy genre. Arya, Sansa, Catelyn, Cersei, Brienne, Ygritte, Asha, Daenerys, and Melisandre are all terrific, dynamic characters, and Martin mostly does well by them. Of course, sometimes he screws it all up, but I think it's manifest that his intent is sort of feminist.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I believe that Martin's intent is to expose the misogyny of our society in an allegorical way. He could very easily have turned his female characters into stereotypes, but instead he's written some of the best female characters in the whole fantasy genre. Arya, Sansa, Catelyn, Cersei, Brienne, Ygritte, Asha, Daenerys, and Melisandre are all terrific, dynamic characters, and Martin mostly does well by them. Of course, sometimes he screws it all up, but I think it's manifest that his intent is sort of feminist.
    We have an ASOIAF thread where we can get into the deeper discussions of those aspects, BP and I were just using it as an example for this discussion.

Blog Entries

I am a poli sci/econ nerd so most of my recent stories have had some political thriller element, if only in the background. I am perfectly fine doing this so long as the villains or heroes or whomever happens to represent an ideology are actually solid and well-constructed characters who hold the version of their ideology that the people who follow it actually hold. I just finished character notes on a Neoliberal dictator, the leader of a revived Comintern, and a Fascist militia commander to form part of the Big Bad ensemble of the work I'm writing. While they oppose the protagonists for a variety of reasons, from their own perspective they are justified and at points are even right, or at least not wrong. My goal is to present actual aspects of the world in at least some of their complexity and let readers come to whatever conclusions they will, which I think is the best way to handle charged (political) issues in fiction.

"Don't call me that name" TwinLukes's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit TwinLukes's Youtube Channel

Personally, I don't write for entertainment, I write because I have a story I want to tell, and sometimes that leads to my personal views showing up in the work. Despite that, I do try my best to include other points of view into my work, and I am very careful to make sure that it's never a case of "The protagonist has the exact same views as me and the antagonist is everything I hate and completely the opposite."

Claims: Virizion - 03/08/14, Swords Dance - 03/08/14

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I have stories that are commentaries on the entertainment industry and how it ruins people's lives, which reflects my opinion that Hollywood often brings misery into celebrities' lives instead of happiness (ESPECIALLY on its child stars). I also have a story that criticizes the Quiverfull movement as harmful to women (in the story, the main character's mother dies giving birth to her seventeenth child).

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

It all depends on how the moral is presented--if it is shoved down your throat, that makes me want to close the book/turn off the movie or game (examples: Happy Feet, Avatar the movie)
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12