Ron the Death Eater - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ron the Death Eater

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ron the Death Eater

Apparently, Cori laughs at her old fanfics now. I guess she's seen the light.

(Come to think of it, Ron the Death Eater usually goes hand-in-hand with Draco in Leather Pants. Many DILP fanfics feature some form of Ron the Death Eater.)

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
    I noticed that wealthy characters such as Steven Stone and Grimsley often get portrayed as snobs in fanfics. I find this bothersome - it's like implying that all rich people are snobbish, elitist "stiff upper lip" types. It bothers me because I used to be one of those people who hated anyone well-off, and I want to think now that I know better. Giving this treatment to Steven Stone is especially ridiculous because he is probably one of the nicest characters towards the player. I once got really pissed off by a fanfic that did that.

Then again, other fandoms do this to rich characters too. Even if the character is snobbish in canon, it will be exaggerated in fanfics (for example, Rhonda from Hey Arnold is kinda stuck-up and very into fashion, but not extremely awful. Fanfics, however, often make her more like Regina George from Mean Girls).

However, alternate character interpretation can be a good thing too. Today I read a fanfic of the original Karate Kid movie that provided Johnny (the villain) with a backstory that cast him in a more positive light than he is portrayed in the movie. I was actually very impressed by the author's writing skills and choice of character development.

(NOTE: I'll let people talk about ANY fandom in this thread. It doesn't have to be just Pokemon.)
    I think every character's been given this sort of treatment in one fic or another, but you do raise a good point. Steven's one of the most down-to-earth (pardon the pun) characters in the series. Grimsley might get this treatment both because of his background and because of his type specialty: I don't remember much about Sidney, but Karen's quotes in-game pretty firmly establish her as not-jerky.

And yeah, I read Darkest Night, and I just...what? Aside from his gambling habit, the worst thing I can see Grimsley capable of is Combat Pragmatism, which...dark types, remember.

The only wealthy character I can really see worthy of being portrayed as a jerk is Caitlin, and that's bratty DPPt!Caitlin, not BW!Caitlin (who may have a somewhat frigid exterior but doesn't seem so bad, since it's implied she matured a bit.)

Then again, given that I roleplay from this fandom, I try to strike a balance. Most of the characters I play are on the side of good, but have their jerk moments--I mean, you can't be 100% nice to everyone all the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juiceboxxx View Post
    The only wealthy character I can really see worthy of being portrayed as a jerk is Caitlin
    ;___;

(yes I know you're not referring to me)

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

If I got to have a giant princess bed in my battle room, I know my demeanor would improve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12