Review Exchange

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Review Exchange

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Review Exchange

Hi all, as promised here is the new Review Exchange thread (and ahead of schedule, I might add).

The basic premise is that you post a link to your fic here, and by doing so offer to give people reviews for reviewing your fic.

Make sure you read the rules (below) before posting here. Failure to comply with the rules may result in a thread ban, depending on severity.

RULES

THE LIST

Writer's Workshop mods, if you see this list is not up to date, please rectify that, if you have time.
    Last edited by Gama; 18th January 2013 at 01:05 PM.

Default Re: NEW Review Exchange

I am delighted to see this ready so early! It was an unexpected and much-welcomed event in my otherwise aggravating day. I have much hope that this will be a boon to review-starved writers. My own submission follows thus:

Link: Different Eyes

Description: A meowth volunteers for a human/pokémon hybridisation program and its consequences. Attempts to handle the pokémorph concept in a sophisticated, mature way, exploring the nature of humanity, personal worth and identity. Philosophical, violent and witty at turns. Cliché killer.

Chapters: As of May 10th, 2012, four chapters, or, 16,000 words. I'm updating very erratically while still in school but will try for weekly chapters of 3000 words starting in July.

Reviews Given: I write reasonably long reviews - something like 500 words, though this does depend on the length of the text to be reviewed - with detailed reference and articulate analysis to justify my critique, and point out specific parts of the text and their merits or flaws. I tend to quote anything notable and comment on it, before summarising my views afterwards. I usually take note of narrative style, dialogue and descriptive prose. I try to comment on everything I can, but I'm best at analysing the writing itself. I also comment on character psychology, but that's a fairly subjective topic. I do not bother correcting grammar unless an egregiously frequent mistake keeps occurring, nor do I often speculate on the plot. By default, I try to praise and criticise in equal measure but if asked, I am willing to be more or less harsh at the possible cost of review length. Although I do try to be critical in a benign, constructive manner, I am also quite blunt. Additionally, I will offer suggestions for improvement wherever possible. Lastly, I will review one chapter for every review received, in roughly coresponding detail to those given to me. I am willing to adapt my style of review, but please discuss this with me beforehand.

Reviews Wanted: I'm not very demanding: provided at least some constructive praise and some constructive critique is present, I am content. Please note; if your review is generic, or can be liberally applied to any fic, I may take offence at the apparent lack of effort - specific reference is appreciated. I may also review your review, ha.

Willing to read: Anything, more or less, but I may not be able to provide the promised quality of review if the fic in question is romantic, animé-focal, or a very short drabble/poem. This is not always the case, merely a potential risk. To prevent disappointment, notifying me in advance about the nature of your fic in order to ascertain my ability to review is a good idea. I will always reciprocate, however. Additional note: I will always call out perceived offensive material such as any kind of prejudice or insensitive use of rape tropes.

Blog Entries

Link: Dragon Ball Legacy

Description: Centuries after Son Goku's adventures ended, a new generation arises and the never-ending quest for the seven magic Dragon Balls begins again! Very Shonen, perhaps slightly more mature than the source material.

Chapters: Currently (as of 10 May 2012), ten chapters, with the eleventh coming soon. I'm not entirely sure how many words long it is, but it is approximately 65 pages in length, in OpenOffice.

Reviews Given: I don't give particularly long reviews, but I am thorough and open to conversing with those wanting something more specific. I cover character, development, plot, pacing, etc. The basics, mainly.

Reviews Wanted: Like uA, I'm not terribly picky. I do want to know what people think I'm doing wrong and right, because that's the only way I can improve.

Willing to Read: Almost anything, excepting shipping and furry/morph fics. I'll read non-Pokémon (obviously).

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Link: Heart of Crystal
    Description: A fictionalized version of my playthrough of Pokemon Crystal version under the nuzlocke challenge. Kris, a young girl from New Bark Town, embarks on a journey through Johto with her partner, Teddy the Cyndaquil. But being a trainer is much more difficult than Kris realized, and she must learn to overcome the hardships of her journey. A journey fic with a dash of coming-of-age thrown in. I try to make it comedic when I can, but I don't shy away from tragedy or drama.
    Chapters: 7 chapters as of May 10th, 2012. I update as often as I can, but it's often very erratic. I'm going to try and settle down into a more regular schedule once I graduate in a little over a month.
    What do you want?: I love hearing about what people liked about my chapters, but if there's anything that you want to critique, please don't hesitate to point it out. I also like a decent amount of detail.
    Willing to read: I prefer pokemon fics, but in general I'll read pretty much anything but straight-up gore or horror.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Glad to see this is open! Well, here we go:

Story: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/teen-three-times-isshu-wip-131549/
    Description: A fictionalized version of three playthroughs of Pokemon Black and White, manifesting in the three separate but tightly connected journeys of three best friends. Dexter Hartell, Donna Aldwin, and Branigan O'Duibhlin are three teens setting out to find their place in the world, to reach for the stars and touch the sky. Their path is one of twists and turns, dealing with the passionate Team Plasma, the righteous League, and the questions that they will each have to answer - who are they and where is the line they will not cross. This is a Nuzlocke story so typical nuzlocke rules and warnings apply.
    Warning: This is a project fit for the long-haul - I can easily seeing their being at least 40 chapters and as a rule I tend to post chapters of at least 4k. I am a slow writer with a busy schooling schedule and a summer job coming, so I do ask everyone to understand that I will return reviews but there will likely be a few days after receiving a review or informing a reader I will review before I can get to it, as I often have days where I don't get on-line I'm so busy.
    Reviews: I tend to give fairly short reviews, focusing on any problems I perceived, questions I have about the work, and character analysis. I can and will expound upon anything the writer requests my opinion on, but generally reviews will be focused on character analysis and plot questions and comments.
    Wanted: I'm fairly lax about reviews. While I love in-depth, long reviews and will gladly send an equally long response, I am perfectly fine with short reviews. I ask that if you review you tell me something of what you liked and didn't like and any areas of confusion with regards to the story.
    Willing to Read: To be honest, I'm willing to read just about anything, though I prefer not to read extremely romantic romances because I have little to no experience with the topic.

you can breathe now. x diamondpearl876's Avatar

Link: Survival Project

Description: Survival Project is an OT journey fic that takes place in Johto. It follows the adventures of Sai, a mysterious trainer who knows little about how the world works. The fic is told through his pokemons' point of view, with each chapter being told by a different pokemon.

Chapters: As of May 13, 2012, the fic has 7 chapters. I update every two weeks.

What do you want?: I'm looking for reviews that will tell me both what they like and what they don't like. I would like to know what I can improve on, and I want to know what I'm doing right. This goes for any aspect of the fic. For specifics, I'm particularly weak at description, so advice on that would help as well.

Willing to read: I'll read any pokemon fic that doesn't focus on romance or anime characters.
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | chapter 19 added 2/16/13 |

Blog Entries

Everyone has been added. Remember, if there is anyone in here who you are interested in review exchanging with, just make a post in this thread, tagging them.

The benevolant creator ArceusAlpha493's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Link: Pokemon: The Journey of Five Regions

Description: It is a OT journey fanfic that spans all five regions. It also will have multiple subplots throughout the story.

Chapters: As of May 19, 2012, I have just posted the first chapter. I update every week at the most.

What do you want?: I would like reviews on the events of the story, what I can improve on, advice on things that I may have trouble with like details to the setting or characters.

Willing to read: Any fanfic that has legendary pokemon as main characters, crossovers with Pokemon, and journey fanfics with pokemon anime characters or original.
    I have posted a Pokemon/Zelda crossover. If you are a fan of both series, please check it out and review. :)

It will also be a crossover with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Land before Time

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/pokemon-legend-zelda-twilight-princess-pokemon-zelda-crossover-124285/

Traceur
    Blog Entries

Link: Blades of the North (Low Fantasy Pokemon)
    Description: A low-fantasy Pokemon story with knights and the like. Pokemon, even ones we may consider small or weak, are usually extremely dangerous. There are no trainers, but men-at-arms have weapons that have slain Pokemon bound to them.
    Chapters: 1 chapter as of 5/21/12. I'm looking to update around once a week or every other week.
    What do you want?: Basically anything. I'd like to know if what I'm writing makes sense, if you can follow it, and really, I want to know that SOMEONE is reading it.
    Willing to read: Willing to read almost anything that isn't a lemon. Length is relative; I will gladly burn through a few thousand words and give my opinion, but breaking the 20,000 word point may make me a bit slow on exchange. Favorites are darker fics and psychological fics especially. I also dislike anime-centric fics, but will read a chapter or two at the very least.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Link: Essence of Life

Description: A tale of a boy who is forced to face the impossibilities of an estranged world while running away from the most inescapable thing in the entire world - his own death. Destiny has other plans, though. [Journey, Adventure, Drama, Original Trainer]

Chapters: 9 chapters as of 8th May 2012. I update as often as I can, sometimes having the next chapter ready at the time of posting the previous chapter, though school can sometimes force me to delay it. It never takes me too long to update it, though.

What do you want?: While I am happy with anything, a more detailed review wouldn't hurt. I'm not asking for a detailed, psychological analysis of my characters or anything, but simple criticism, doesn't matter if it's harsh or not. A writer needs to improve and by accepting other people's criticism and implementing it so he can improve his work, he is allowed to do so.

Willing to read:
    I'm wiling to read anything with intriguing plot or interesting characters. I don't know, I'm willing to read anything going up to fifteen chapters but even that might take some time. I'd also like to add that I rather love when writers take a spin on ordinary things, that keeps things fresh and makes stories easily memorable keeping me safe from growing bored or uninterested of the story or its characters. So shortly, I want something intriguing, something new and something fresh. Whether it's plot or its characters, I want it to pick my interest. If you think your story might pick my interest, feel free to contact me.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I'm just going to add my Cilan one-shot for now, but are we allowed to add more than one fic? I might decide to put another one in here in the future.

Link: My Conquest

Description: For a long time, Cilan has refused to speak of a horrible experience he once went through. And now he's finally decided to talk about it, even if he's only talking to himself.

Chapters: Only one as of April 16, 2012, as it's just a one-shot. It will also not be updated because of this unless I somehow come up with another idea for a Cilan fic and choose to turn it into a general Cilan story thread. I love Cilan and he's so far the only thing related to Pokemon that I'm willing to write about, so yeah. <3

What do you want?: I'm happy with any kind of review, really, as long as it isn't something like "lol this sucks" or "wow, awesome!" or "This is wrong, that looks bad, this needs fixed. Kthnxbai." You don't have to only praise me, but I find it discouraging when someone just points out the bad without saying what they liked about it. It makes me feel like a failure.

Willing to read: Anything that doesn't have explicit sex scenes, horror, sci fi stuff, or isn't of a fandom that I'm not familiar with. I'll let you know if your story is from a fandom I know well. Also, I generally don't like tragedy either, but there have been a few exceptions, so for this one, it depends. I'm not ESPECIALLY interested in Pokemon fanfics either, but I will still read them, particularly if they're about Cilan or Keldeo. :D Oh, and if the fic is longer than a few chapters (3-4), it might take me awhile to finish it, as I've got my own writing to work on and stuff as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    I'm just going to add my Cilan one-shot for now, but are we allowed to add more than one fic? I might decide to put another one in here in the future.
    Amazingly, I genuinely hadn't thought of that.

Yes, you can have more than one fic here, but in your second post, only put Link and Description and point out that it is your second (or more) fic and then I will add it to the same spoiler as your other one to save space.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    Amazingly, I genuinely hadn't thought of that.

Yes, you can have more than one fic here, but in your second post, only put Link and Description and point out that it is your second (or more) fic and then I will add it to the same spoiler as your other one to save space.
    Ah, mkay, that works. Thanks!

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Link: Unpredictable

Description: Keith Anders goes on a Pokemon journey through Kanto, meeting on the way a young vigilante hell-bent on fighting Team Rocket. As he explores Kanto, he discovers much about himself and the conflict that is about to strike at the heart of the region. It's a journey fic that has much in common with game canon, but several glaring differences.

Chapters: Just put up Chapter 33 (my chapters are anywhere from 2k to 8k words), as of May 28, 2012. My updates are sporadic, but I try to keep it at about once every two weeks.

What do you want?: I'd like someone who's willing to critique my description, dialogue, etc. Hopefully I won't be making many spelling, grammar, or punctuation mistakes but I'd like any jarring ones pointed out. Discussion of the plot would be nice too. The length doesn't matter too much, especially if you actually read my entire fic. Just as long as you show time and effort.

Willing to read: I'm willing to read pretty much anything, as long as you've put time and energy into it. If you're proud of it, I'll read it, regardless of canon or fandom. Length is inconsequential as well, but I'd obviously need more time for longer fics.

I'll wait until I'm added to the list before making any requests.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I guess I'll break the ice here with the first request.

@unrepentantAuthor; I've been meaning to read Different Eyes for a while now, so why not make it an official exchange? I should have a review up in two weeks tops, but you're welcome to more time since I'm sure you've got a lot on your plate (not to mention my fic's five times longer than yours).

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast