revenge fics~

Thread: revenge fics~

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

Default revenge fics~

How do you pull one off? And is this idea going to work?

I had an idea of one. The story takes places a few weeks after a story I'm currently working on called Space lives on my breath. In this upcoming one, Palkia wants to seek revenge on Cresselia, a girl who has been tormenting her for her abilities for the past 3 years. The reason Palkia did this? When Palkia started school, Cresselia has always made fun of her and made her school life miserable. She would call her names, make fun of her spatial abilities, and throw things at her, and even get the other Pokemon to join in. And for those 2 years even when she was at home, Cresselia's words hurt Palkia to the point that she thought she was worthless. When in reality, Cresselia makes fun of Palkia because she dislikes that Palkia was technically the strongest female Pokemon in class when it has always been her. If the other Pokemon knew that then she wouldn't be popular anymore. Plus she felt that she had a better life and better boyfriend than she did. Darkrai mostly comes at night to that's the only time she gets to see him that is until he had to be enrolled in school. During that time in this story, he learns that the time he spends with Cresselia means alot not only to her but it starts to make him better as well.

How she does this is that when Cresselia, her servants and her friends are having a party, she warps the moon to her dimension. Or another revenge plot I had was her messing her up for her party, like ruining her beauty.

Also, she does this because Cresselia has been saying all this time that space was nothing, but in another fic, you'll know that it's not the case.

I know with the moon there are tides involved but will this be reasonable for a revenge fic?

Default Re: revenge fics~

Uuuh, it's kind of hard to answer this, there's basically a ton of ways to do a revenge story. Obviously you need the act of revenge, and the reason for this revenge, and then you need to fill in the gaps, which include why palkia would want revenge (instead of, say, ignoring it), how this kind of revenge fits into her character, all that. You just need to take it naturally for your characters, that's it.

But an entire story about the revenge? Or just one or two chapters in a fic? A story centered around revenge, an entire story, often needs the reason for wanting to exact revenge to be hidden, which fits poorly for a sequel. You want to know exactly what caused the desire for revenge, that's what drives a revenge story - knowing it beforehand kind of lets the steam out.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    A story centered around revenge, an entire story, often needs the reason for wanting to exact revenge to be hidden, which fits poorly for a sequel. You want to know exactly what caused the desire for revenge, that's what drives a revenge story - knowing it beforehand kind of lets the steam out.
    Not necessarily. This is true for certain types of revenge story, yes, but not all. However, if the reason for revenge is revealed from the very beginning, then it needs to cause such revulsion in the reader that they are desperate for the protagonist to get revenge. In this case, you need to make a big deal over just how awful Cresselia's bullying makes Palkia feel.

Also, the twist that Cresselia's meanness was a result of her own insecurities is pretty interesting. If done well, this could completely negate the reader's desire for revenge, which would be an interesting effect.

Hmm, maybe. I think I've just watched one too many teen movie where that kind of revenge is the focus. They usually end up cliche-filled, dull and boring. But, eh, nothing good writing and a reader base whose two cents are different than my own can't overcome :P

Also, the twist that Cresselia's meanness was a result of her own insecurities is pretty interesting. If done well, this could completely negate the reader's desire for revenge, which would be an interesting effect.
    It would make for an interesting and realistic character indeed, because insecurities is why a great number of bullies bully others. Its their way of overcoming their insecurities; make others feel even worse than them (or the opposite; make themselves dominant). Though personally I wouldn't ever sympathize with a character like that - but that's just my personal philosophy speaking.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

Well it wont be typical teenage revenge, even though they are teens but it's more of a typical altercation between females.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhi Clause View Post
    Well it wont be typical teenage revenge, even though they are teens but it's more of a typical altercation between females.
    It sounds like perhaps revenge is actually less major of a theme than you made it sound in your OP? Anyway, it sounds like an interesting idea.