Restart?

Thread: Restart?

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default Restart?

Hello, my first attempt at writing a fanfiction was "Opelucid's Investments" my current and only fanfiction. It's a fanfiction based on the character of Iris from Pokemon Black and White. Some of you might not know but a new feature called the "Memory Link" was introduced and gave some pretty nicely expanded back story on her character. Explaining she is not indeed from Unova but from a far, far, far away place and was brought to Unova by Drayden. Well, that actually sounds like a more interesting back story now that I think about it. Not to mention it ties in nicely with all of the story I've planned out so far for Iris, and I came into Opelucid's Investment's as a complete rookie when it came to writing stories, grammar, pacing, description, being my worst traits and I've somewhat sharpened up on these flaws. So, I sorta think a restart where I could really do justice to her character with this expanded backstory as well as bettered writing in myself could be interesting. Not to mention I would terminate several points in the story that were fairly useless as well as it would help fix this "writing as I go along" feel, I feel my story has. My question is do you think it would be a good idea? Is it worth it? Because I know others like Legacy and Tsutarja have done restarts on their stories before, so I was curious about the possible idea. I have the plot blueprinted out to the near-end of the BW storyline. I also wanna change things, while the story will primarily be about Iris. It just isn't her story anymore, it will also be Drayden's in a way. Criticisms? Thoughts?

@Chiplet;
    @Soulmaster;
    @Human;
    @Tsutarja;

Since you're the only four people I have on my tag list, I was curious what you thought about it? Would you read it if it was a restart?

Also, I was curious what you guys think of restarts in-general?
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 26th June 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Default Re: Restart?

I'd read if it was a restart. ^^

I don't really mind restarts, to be honest, especially if a story hasn't gotten that far - you know? Besides, it would be far worse if you story had become very, very popular and then you suddenly stopped writing it in order to rewrite its plot/characters, etc. xD But yeah, Iris's story interests me greatly and I'd really like to see it handled well and realistically. You might also have an easier job now with all the background exposed, you might just start writing without the whole 'writing as you go along' feel.

But if you do a restart, do some serious thinking about this. How will Iris's character be like? What are her flaws? Is there anything special about her? Who are the other characters? Where is the plot bringing her? It's things like that you should have planned out.

Eh, anyway, I'll be happy either way - but like I said, I'd read a restart. ^^

Blog Entries

I'd definitely read it too, no doubt. ^^
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Blog Entries

Restarts in general are often needed the further a work of fiction (or even non-fiction, I guess, as more facts become known) progresses. Things you learn, new ideas, the old "I should have done this differently", etc. They can be solved by retconning, but that always feels like a lazy way out to me.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Well I'm not a fan of restarting my stories but if you feel like your story needs a restart then I'll support you :) and I'll be reading just like I did with this one.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    I don't really mind restarts, to be honest, especially if a story hasn't gotten that far - you know? Besides, it would be far worse if you story had become very, very popular and then you suddenly stopped writing it in order to rewrite its plot/characters, etc. xD
    Kinda like Legacy with Pokémon: The Power Inside. Anyone who's been here longer than I have can tell you all about that. :D
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.