Rejecting criticism and sticking to your guns - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rejecting criticism and sticking to your guns

Default Re: Rejecting criticism and sticking to your guns

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    I may have asked this before, but who is Farla?
    To add on to what Drakon said, she's extremely nasty. I seem to remember reading a thread of comments from about two years ago where she called unrepentantAuthor a massive pervert because he... didn't want his female pokemorph characters wearing short skirts, I think? I really didn't follow very clearly. The entire argument, of course, was posted where uA couldn't actually see it and wasn't even aware that it existed, and when he actually found the thing and tried to defend himself, she summarily ignored him.

On another note, I think end point is that people don't like to accept criticism. They'll always think that they're right, so there's not much you can do to tell them. At the same time, you also run the risk of being irrational and unaccepting, so there's no way to win ahahaha.

Blog Entries

On another note, I think end point is that people don't like to accept criticism. They'll always think that they're right, so there's not much you can do to tell them. At the same time, you also run the risk of being irrational and unaccepting, so there's no way to win ahahaha.
    A lot of critics seem to forget critique is supposed to help authors, not piss them off. Thus they leave reviews with good points but laced with smart-ass comments, backhanded complements and/or insults. In addition, some reviewers also behave inappropriately by taking rejection of comments and/or critiques as a personal insult and will hound the author.

But it goes both ways too. Authors leaving insults to reviewers and commentators is also out of line.

Like I previously said, as an author, there's a fine line you have to walk in accepting criticism. Too much on one side and your story's unreadable because you accepted and followed every reviewer's advice. Too much on the other and you'll look unaccepting of critique.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Reader and Writer Legacy's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    I may have asked this before, but who is Farla?
    Farla is an extremely notorious reviewer/author on FF.net (specifically for Pokèmon). She's well known for her rude, condescending attitude, borderline (if not out and out) insulting reviews and tendency to post PMs she gets from people on her blog — as well as implicitly encouraging her blog readers to mock the authors she targets.

As for reviewers who complain about realism. They walk a fine line. There's attention to detail and then there's no suspension of disbelief. It's good to have accurate details but you need to keep in mind the story comes first. Accuracy to detail will not save a bad story. Conversely, fudging or just making up details won't ruin a story so as long as you keep continuity.
    Oh Farla. Lol.

I remember when I had The Power Inside on Ff.net, and she butchered me because I capitalized the 'P' in Pokèmon. She said it was wrong to do so because I was using "Pokèmon" like the word "animal."

Coming Soon...

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

I've always kind of stuck by the rule of thumb that if a review makes you angry enough that you really feel like you have to defend yourself, then it's probably okay to just stick to your guns. Maybe I'm overestimating people's rationality and humility. It's worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    I've always kind of stuck by the rule of thumb that if a review makes you angry enough that you really feel like you have to defend yourself, then it's probably okay to just stick to your guns. Maybe I'm overestimating people's rationality and humility. It's worked for me.
    In that case, can we discuss how to respond to that kind of criticism? For instance, should authors actually respond at all?

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

If the reviewer is being rude (Farla) then no, I don't think the author should respond. Don't feed the trolls and all that. If the reviewer can't be bothered to speak civilly then they aren't worth sparing much thought. Now if the author can't be civil... then I would just say they're a lost cause.

The key is to stop, take a deep breath, and consider that the reviewer might have a point. If you still can't see where they're coming from AND they genuinely seem to want to help then I think responding and asking questions is incredibly valuable.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I generally only respond to reviews that I have a question about, or if in the earlier example I gave, the reviewer got something completely wrong and I am trying to clarify things. If the reviewer continues to be nasty and ignorant/refuses to change their mind, or they start getting angry, I think it is best to end the conversation as civilly as possible and not get further involved, least you get angry or get a bad reputation for being aggressive towards reviewers. You never know how the reviewer may take it or what they may do with your review (ie post it on a blog/show friends like this Farla person) and you really shouldn't let a bad review cause more damage for you than necessary.

I will just say, if you do feel like you have gotten a horrible, rude, nasty or malicious review on this site, feel free to PM one of us moderators and we can look into it - I really cannot stand people that are horrifically critical without the constructive, and we don't have a place for trolls here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    If a review makes you need to defend yourself, I prefer stepping back and seeing if they have a point. I may ask to clarify but in the end, it's not worth trading insults over.

Quote Originally Posted by Truly View Post
    In that case, can we discuss how to respond to that kind of criticism? For instance, should authors actually respond at all?
    If the reviewer's impolite and/or arrogant, I'll give less weight to their opinions because they usually come off as not really understanding the story or just wanting to start trouble. If they have a valid point, I might ask them to clarify. If they blow me off or give me a smartass reply, I'll just ignore them.

If the author's being impolite, all you can really do is disengage and ignore them.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Farla is an extremely notorious reviewer/author on FF.net (specifically for Pokèmon). She's well known for her rude, condescending attitude, borderline (if not out and out) insulting reviews and tendency to post PMs she gets from people on her blog — as well as implicitly encouraging her blog readers to mock the authors she targets.

As for reviewers who complain about realism. They walk a fine line. There's attention to detail and then there's no suspension of disbelief. It's good to have accurate details but you need to keep in mind the story comes first. Accuracy to detail will not save a bad story. Conversely, fudging or just making up details won't ruin a story so as long as you keep continuity.
    I had to deal with Farla back when I was relatively new to FF.net. Her review convinced me to delete a fanfic. I blocked her afterwards, and she's been blocked for nearly four years now, and she'll NEVER be unblocked.

Just a few days ago, I got another flame review for Pokemon X and Y: Dawn of a New Era. The reviewer was complaining about how "cliche" I was with my writing - especially for shipping Serena with Calem, and how everyone only ships her with either Calem, Lysandre, or Professor Sycamore (which, I admit, is true to an extent - no one ships Serena with Tierno or Trevor). They suggested that I ship Serena with either Grant or Siebold. Um, no I'm not gonna. I'm not really interested in Grant. Siebold is a grown man and Serena looks like she's only 13-15, and shipping minors with adults is gross. (I already have an OC who is married to Siebold, and my stories portray him as being very devoted to her, so that also makes it impossible.)

And look what they set about their second review: "Also nice job selecting the reviews you want seen, so you can protect your ego. This is still a cliche pile of shit." (I only delete inflammatory reviews.)

Since this was an unregistered user, I was able to delete the hateful reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    "Also nice job selecting the reviews you want seen, so you can protect your ego. This is still a cliche pile of shit." (I only delete inflammatory reviews.)
    That claim always gets to me because I wonder if I'm feeding my ego and I don't think so because I don't want to think myself as such.

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I think shipping is an entirely different ball game, because everyone that is a keen shipper has their own very serious views about who should be shipped with who, and if you don't fit into their requirements then they get upset. They are the ones you really need to ignore, I feel, cause they either are 'I love this pairing' or 'I hate this pairing', neither of which is actually that great when they comment on the ship rather than the story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt004
    That claim always gets to me because I wonder if I'm feeding my ego and I don't think so because I don't want to think myself as such.
    Deleting or ignoring reviews of little substance other than spiteful nonsense is more sensible than ego pandering. Yes, in a certain sense you are protecting yourself because comments like that can hurt and knock your confidence, but if the majority of your viewers and telling you your work is good, and you've got people being supportive and helpful, why would you focus on criticism that is given with no explanation for why it's given or suggestion for improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14
    I think shipping is an entirely different ball game, because everyone that is a keen shipper has their own very serious views about who should be shipped with who, and if you don't fit into their requirements then they get upset. They are the ones you really need to ignore, I feel, cause they either are 'I love this pairing' or 'I hate this pairing', neither of which is actually that great when they comment on the ship rather than the story.
    I definitely agree with this. It's especially idiotic when a story is clearly labelled with a certain pairing, but still attracts comments like "I don't like this pairing" or "I think so and so should be shipped with". You'd think they'd avoid the story altogether, wouldn't you?

Blog Entries

I agree as well. As TV Tropes says; shipping is serious business.
    Smart enough to use forth in the wrong context
    Claims: Metagross and Travis Touchdown

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VTP-Dawkins93 View Post

Deleting or ignoring reviews of little substance other than spiteful nonsense is more sensible than ego pandering. Yes, in a certain sense you are protecting yourself because comments like that can hurt and knock your confidence, but if the majority of your viewers and telling you your work is good, and you've got people being supportive and helpful, why would you focus on criticism that is given with no explanation for why it's given or suggestion for improvement?
    I think that is an excellent point. For those unaware, on FF.net you can delete anonymous reviews for whatever reason; it may seem like a way of protecting yourself, but I think if people try to anonymously offend you in a way that you can't respond to them and defend yourself, then you should have every right to protect your work from unnecessary hatred. I also find it is useful for weeding out reviews that really are just pointless; I find it dumb when people go to the bother of writing a review but all they manage is one word.

Snarker Extraordinaire Captain Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Captain Blue On Twitter
    Follow Captain Blue on Tumblr

Reading through this made me think a little about if it matters who the author is writing for: if they're writing something for themselves, then perhaps they have a "right" to ignore unwanted criticism? If I wanted to write some nonsense story that fulfills some sort of strange desire I have, then shouldn't I be able to go about doing it on my own way, regardless of what people have to say about it*? But on the other hand, when you publish a story somewhere (generally online, one chapter at a time), you do so with the intention of having people read it, and you'd want your story to be something that can appeal to the greatest number of people possible. Some readers may offer suggestions with the intent of making the story more "readable" and appealing to others, and so it's usually in the author's best interests to listen to their audience. Though I will concede that sometimes authors develop one or two ideas that they want to implement in a particular story, regardless of what the audience may have to say about them.

Accepting criticism also has to do with how said criticisms are delivered: I'd be less likely to listen to someone who insults a story I'm writing.

*I realize that not all stories someone writes are necessarily published: someone may write a story that they keep to themselves.

Paradise is Calling... Are You Ready to Answer?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast