Is this a realistic enough villain?

Thread: Is this a realistic enough villain?

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Is this a realistic enough villain?

So I'm planning a magical adventure fic called "Pokemon: Melody of Indigo" and I have the villianous team named the Shadow Order, led by a ruthless and cunning girl named Haku.

At first, Ash and co. figure she's just another obligatory bad guy that wants to take over the world. But when they dig a bit deeper, they find that she was once a summoner of Legendary Pokemon like they are--only it has gotten to the point where instead of her commanding Darkrai, Darkrai is commanding her, and although Haku wants a better world, Darkrai has twisted her dream to mean a better world for him--and it will take summoning Ho'oh to drive Darkrai away and free Haku from his control.

Is this realistic enough for a villain? If not, why not, and how can I improve?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this a realistic enough villain?

It makes sense, but I think you have to explain why Darkrai is evil, and why Haku wasn't strong enough to resist his manipulation. If she's strong enough to summon Legendary Pokémon, I would imagine her willpower is quite strong.

Blog Entries

She is able to summon Legendary Pokemon because of her training as a Convocar (what a summoner of Legendary Pokemon is called in the story's world). She originally bonded with Jirachi, but her wish to rule a paradise made her an easy target for Darkrai to corrupt--but Darkrai's idea of a paradise is a nightmare for the Pokeworld and the sky world. Once Ash and the gang realize that the real force behind the Shadow Order is Darkrai, their goal becomes twofold--free Haku and defeat Darkrai by summoning Ho'oh

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That sounds very morally-questioning. So Ash & Co. see Darkrai as the evil, while Darkrai sees them as evil, due to different ideas of what is 'good' and what is 'evil'. Regarding the villains, Haku and Darkrai both seem quite interesting characters on their own; I would say the story is good as it is.

Blog Entries

Thanks--designing villians is another one of my weak points, and I just wanted to see if this one was believeable or not

Blog Entries

I actually really like that. I think I need to catch up again.

This would be totally and completely awesome. I have never once read any "Ash and co." fic because I'm sick of "Ash and co." but this... this is right on.

On topic: your question: realistic? As long as your characters remain the same characters, then being "realistic" shouldn't even be a question. Just let your characters develop the way you've built them, and continue to develop your idea of them by getting together the ways they react in the situations you put them in, as long as they react according to the character you designed them to be, the reality you created will remain in check..

Does that make ANY sense?

Blog Entries

Yes it does--by realistic, I mean "Did I do enough to make a good bad guy"

I'm just about ready to release the first episode. Thanks for the feedback, all