Questions...

Thread: Questions...

Default Questions...

I didn't know if there was some other place with these answers,I checked the guidelines and such but didn't get any clear answers. Sorry if this is already a thread.

So I write about tons of different things, mainly fiction, and was wondering if there's anything that's considered "taboo" to post about that a story may contain. Things like homosexuality, semi-graphic violence (It didn't really seem clear as to how far was [I]far[I] in this category) Then I guess things just like depression, references to actual historical or mythical things. (note that the most explicit thing would be describing the fight scene between characters and details about damage they receive)
    I just want to know so I don't accidentally post something I shouldn't and get in serious trouble for it. Again if this is already posted somewhere or already answered somewhere I again am terribly sorry for wasting your time.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions...

I don't know if I fulling understand what you are asking...

But as long as you give the story a rating, suck as PG, PG 13, R, ect... then you should be able to post any of that stuff in a story here.

Blog Entries

I'm not a mod, but I know from being around here as long as I have: You can post whatever you want here as long as you give ample warning and do your best to post the necessary disclaimers.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's nothing banned from the Workshop (except for trollfics, but those are dealt with on a per-case basis)

However, we do ask you to add a small introductory note in your fic, in case you consider or know a theme is simply not tolerated by all people. Also, there are the prefixes for the three ratings we handle in the Workshop, with small notes as to which kind of themes fall in which age group in a very general way, and may come in handy.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also, don't rate up for homosexuality. It's annoying and bigoted when movie ratings do it, and it's just plain not right. Rate it for actual CONTENT, like what the couple in question is *doing*, not for them existing at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    Also, don't rate up for homosexuality. It's annoying and bigoted when movie ratings do it, and it's just plain not right. Rate it for actual CONTENT, like what the couple in question is *doing*, not for them existing at all.
    If you agree with the following, then I agree with you:
    • Everyone: "Jack had been adopted by his two fathers, Karl and Larry, when (blah blah blah)", doesn't touch issues with sexuality at depth.
    • Teen: "Daniel wondered if his feelings for Edward were reciprocated", expression of sexuality (applies also for Daniela wondering if her feelings for Edward are reciprocated, by the way)
    • Mature: "*censored (never wrote a mature piece before )*", actual sex, of any sexual orientation.

However, in the end, if the author of the fic decides, by his/her values, that homosexuality is wrong, no one can tell him to lower his/her rating just because it's present.

More fanfiction at:

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's what I mean. Rate for actions, not for characters.

And um...yeah we can. Someone may be a complete pacifist but if they rate their fic Mature because someone gets slapped, we have the right to point out that that's simply not accurate rating.

Blog Entries

Is just me, but aren't there several similar threads here in the Block? Would that be offensive? What about a sexual joke? Yada-yada etc etc and so on and so forth. And most if the stuff they are worrying about is just... so minor!

Sheesh, people when did you become such Moral Guardians?

A lone detective takes it upon himself to solve the murder of a young woman, willingly diving into the dangerous web of conspiracies weaved by the feuding mafia families. But after the truth is uncovered, will that city of sin be the same ever again?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladar View Post
    Sheesh, people when did you become such Moral Guardians?
    Good question.

I think maybe they are afraid of running afoul of the ratings and the rules and the moderators.

---------------

Back to the point, as long as you rate something appropriately, you are pretty much allowed to write whatever you desire.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    I think maybe they are afraid of running afoul of the ratings and the rules and the moderators.
    The moderators, however, aren't moral guardians themselves, so the staff doesn't expect you to abide by super strict moral codes (we'll help you if you're in need of guidance to the best of our ability, however)

More fanfiction at:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kayi-chan View Post
    The moderators, however, aren't moral guardians themselves, so the staff doesn't expect you to abide by super strict moral codes (we'll help you if you're in need of guidance to the best of our ability, however)
    Yeah but new writers may not know that.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Good question.

---------------

Back to the point, as long as you rate something appropriately, you are pretty much allowed to write whatever you desire.
    I'd really get offended if some calls me a moral guardian. Writing is art. It should never be hampered by such silly things as morals. Or something along those lines.

As long as you rate it appropriately, fanservice, gore, sex, psychological drama, incest, ritual dismemberments and so and so forth, are OK in my book if its is justified in-universe, ergo it adds to the plot, characterization, the atmosphere or the story as a whole. And if it is done well, of course.

A lone detective takes it upon himself to solve the murder of a young woman, willingly diving into the dangerous web of conspiracies weaved by the feuding mafia families. But after the truth is uncovered, will that city of sin be the same ever again?