The knight of medieval western culture and the samurai of old feudal Japan were known to have very high pride and self-esteem, sometimes they put their pride even higher than their life, and may even die to protect their own self-esteem.
I do not quite understand this kind of attitude, so sometimes I cannot image how they will feel or think in the situation where they become "inferior". Example of such situations are:
1. Defeated by their enemy.
2. Become captive of their enemy.
3. Saved by the ordinary civilian on the street when they are injured.
4. Some unknown ordinary civilian engage in battle/fight/war in place of them.
5. Borrow the power of ordinary civilian in battle/fight/war.
6. Lay off by their superior (whatever reason, from being useless to being injured).
I'm asking this because of my current fanfic I'm working on. Please discuss and give me some suggestion if possible.