Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seizon Senryaku

Thread: Present day vs pokémon!Meritable idea or no? Please be Honest

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Present day vs pokémon!Meritable idea or no? Please be Honest

Meritable Idea or No?
    "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers." Francois Fenelon

Default Re: Present day vs pokémon!Meritable idea or no? Please be Honest

I don't understand... what is "present day"?
    If you just mean a Pokémon fanfic set in the present, I don't really find that anything special. Pokémon's actual time period is ambiguous as it is... they have some really advanced technology (like transport machines... cloning machines... futuristic "video phones"... even Poké Balls are way more advanced than our real-world technology) except at the same time they have technology that is out-dated to say the least (in the games at least... you are in a world with the technology I mentioned and then you come across an SNES?! And the video games happen to update to the current console each generation, even though Generation I and II are supposeldy taking place in the same time period, same with Generation II and IV...) Not to mention that in the anime hardly anyone even seems to use cell phones (even though there are cell phone-like devices in the games).
    Overall, I'd say that the time setting of Pokémon is pretty strange. Setting it in the present might work if you're going for a realistic feel (and you could include actual real-world current events maybe) but as far as technology goes I don't really know how you could pull it off (especially considering that Poké Balls themselves are "futuristic" so you'd have to change a major part of the whole concept right there).

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

As dannyjenn has suggested, we could use a bit more clarification about exactly what you mean. I'm picturing some sort of massive war with guns and tanks on one side and Pokemon on the other, but I have no idea if that's what you mean, because you haven't specified. Could you tell us what you actually mean by 'present day vs Pokemon'? Otherwise, this thread is going nowhere fast.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

I am most ambivalent about an idea this ambiguous.

Blog Entries

Ok, allow me to clarify this as I realized that is far too vague to be of any use. The idea was that a present day (2012) world exist outside of the pokemon one. If a few people from the present day were forced into pokemons world with no way to return, what would happen. I was not talking about a whole USA vs pokemon world type of story... Althouh that isn't a half bad idea at the moment.

PS I hate mobile devices for posting.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Okay, the good news is that it makes a lot more sense to me now. The bad news is that I've seen it before, and not only that, to an almost excessive level. People (usually teenagers) from modern Earth being magically/scientifically transported to the Pokemon world and being forced to adapt and learn an entire new way of life is actually an extraordinarily common setting for fanfiction, and the sad thing is that it's usually not very good. The reason for this is that it's often seized upon by new writers as a way to write a familiar story in an unfamiliar setting; that is to say that the main character is often a self-insert or similar, and reacts to all this new information and experience in the same way the author would, making it easier to write. I'm only going into this much detail so you can think about what to avoid if you do go ahead with this.

Don't be scared of an established/overused format, by the way. Even if it is somewhat trite as a rule, it is possible to write an engaging, entertaining story in such a setting, simply by finding some way to make the genre your own. Think of a twist that makes it unique, or create a distinctive, fascinating writing style that transforms what might be a boring fic into a genuinely interesting one. There's no absolutes when it comes to writing, so find a way to put your own spin on things and you're laughing. Admittedly, this is harder to do with an overused setting like this one, but it's by no means impossible. One of the most beaten tropes in this fandom is 'kid wakes up, kid gets first Pokemon from Professor Tree, kid goes on a Gym challenge journey, kid fights Team Questionable Morals and becomes Champion', yet I have seen numerous fics who start out with this format and build from it. Every author breathes some measure of life into their writing, and it is the ones with the most vivid, lifelike sense of reality and individuality that stay in our minds forever. Best of luck to you!
    unrepentantAuthor likes this.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Unless you have a very good idea behind this that is interesting and original, I recommend you abandon it now for the reasons stated by Misheard Whisper. If the plan consists merely of human teens or young adults becoming trainers and remarking on how amazing it all is, that is insufficient; you'd need a twist such as the persons entering the world being unconventional and with esoteric backgrounds. I'd like to see a biologist scientifically studying pokémon through autopsy, or an industrialist exploiting the vast potential of pokémon for manufacture, or a militarist choosing to raise a force of pokémon and dominate a world that has apparently never seen war. Trainers? There have been countless trainers.

Blog Entries

So should I go with the US Army vs pokémon idea I said earlier or no?

The concept of people from this world going to the pokemon world to become trainers, not good. A war between the two worlds? (OMGLOZORS aliens!!!!!) Interesting, but whether or not it could be interesting... I remain skeptical!

What about going the other way, though? A guy ro gal from the world of pokemon ending up in our world, having to cope with the trifle existence without pokemon?

I can't think of any plausible justification for the US army to fight pokémon unless you were writing an absurdist postmodern satire of neocolonialism. (That is to say, weird for the sake of weird.)

@Llama_Guy: Love that reversal idea. It has a great deal of potential for being fascinating, amusing, or utterly heartwrenching. Someone needs to write that. I might do a oneshot, if you'd permit me to.

unrepentantAuthor: I was wondering of doing that myself, but I am too preoccupied with other stories and [insert obscenity] school (can't wait to finish (schools in my country offer no challenge whatsoever)), but, eeehrm, that's irrelevant. Point is, I'm preoccupied, so go ahead, I won't mind (plot bunny; he gets his pokemon partner, or a random pokemon, with him. because people in this world would react so nicely to aliens).

I'd write it horribly heart-wrenching and possibly ending with a suicide, though, will be itnerested to see what you will be doing with it

@Llama_Guy: I too am cursed with the blight of school, although I've never let education get in the way of my learning. *dry grin* I have the final exams of my school life in less than two months, and am under enormous pressure to revise as much as possible, but I will make what time I can for writing. I get somewhat melancholy if I don't.

I think I'll avoid suicide, there are more poignant tragedies, but I like the idea of bringing a pokémon along with the character. That has potential.

Blog Entries

That sounds like a wonderful idea! Best of luck to you if you write it.

If you write it, post the title here so that I can find it!

unrepetant: Yeah, I usually don't like suicide, not as a literary phenomenon nor the whole concept in itself. But that's another topic entirely. Good luck with your exams though (and believe me, I've learned more from video gaming and the internet than from school - within certain fields anyway)