Pokemon locations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokemon locations

built this ship to wreck. Lugion's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon locations

Making up your own region is both a lot of fun and a lot of work. I've done it myself. Nothing really ever came of it, though. I've been thinking about pulling the project back of the proverbial shelf, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    I don't like to make up my own region, because then I feel obligated to come up with Fakémon. Stories using Fakémon do not particularly appeal to me because, sooner or later, canon shoots them down, causing my willing suspension of disbelief to be lost.
    You can just make up a location that would make it appropriate for the region to have a mix of already-existing pokemon. Or just have that without any good reason :P

I'm currently making my own region, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. There's a ton of different things to do, and it's fun creating unique locations and whatnot. Creating all-new characters, gym trainers, pokemon league, etc. is really interesting.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

To answer the original question, I don't write Pokémon fanfics but if I did I'd probably ignore game locations or take them to be guidelines rather than rules (all that has to be correct would be the general habitat... it really makes no sense to find a Magikarp in the desert unless the story explains why). The anime which is itself canon doesn't even strictly follow locations in games, so why should a fanfic have to?
    Especially if locations in the fanfic aren't even in the game, for example, if it's an entirely new region. Which brings up the question
    Now what's your opinion on using set locations from the series (Kanto, Orre, Almia, etc.) compared to making up your own region?
    I'd stick to a pre-existing region. Unless this "new" region is located in close proximity with a real region, it really would not make sense if you are not also inventing your own species of Pokémon (as every new region with the exception of Orange Islands (which is close to Kanto) and Orre (which is close to Johto) and a few other exceptions have mostly new Pokémon and at least some regional exclusives)

It's been a long term intention of mine to create a map for every region of Japan. Since four have already been done, only three major ones remain (Shikoku, west Honshu and north Honshu). Possibly also a couple of regions for Korea, because why not? Just that area in general.

I've also had the inclination to map Britain and make an enormous number of fakemon for it with a friend of mine. It's not impossible that a 4th Gen hack will one day be made...

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    I basically ignore the game location rule when it suits me. There's no particular reason to adhere to it. I'll keep most region specific pokémon in the correct region but again only if the fic would not be improved by flaunting the rule.
    Just a small nit I'm picking, but I believe the word you want is flouting, not flaunting.

That being said, I will put Pokémon anywhere where they seem natural. Certainly there are Pokémon that will be region-specific (just like in the real world, lots of animals are only found in certain areas), but where those regions are is up for grabs.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuglord View Post
    I believe the word you want is flouting, not flaunting.
    You are right. I'm not sure how that happened, I think it might've been my iPad autocorrecting a typo.

It occurs to me that the games aren't particularly consistent on pokémon location. After all, the swarm system introduced from Emerald onwards rather makes it nonsensical, particularly in the fourth generation. What rationale is there for having an unattainable pokémon suddenly become incredibly common in one route for one day?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12