A Pokemon AU fantasy, Asian style

Thread: A Pokemon AU fantasy, Asian style

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default A Pokemon AU fantasy, Asian style

So I've been mulling the idea of trying a Pokemon fantasy AU based in a more Asian based world (Yoso and Telasa are more European based, but have a little bit of Asian influence). However, I only have a few concrete details so far:

--Ash playing the role of a wandering warrior (not necessarily a ronin) who has learned to channel magic through a flute (looks like and is played similar to a tin whistle, but sounds like a Chinese dizi) He mainly travels around the (as of yet unnamed) world driving away monsters and helping people out.
    --He may or may not gain a party, as I'm still developing the idea
    --Eventually, he learns of a plot to summon a demon king and takes it upon himself to stop it (by his own choice, not because destiny said so)

Again, the idea is still very rough, but what do you think, sirs (and madames)?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Default Re: A Pokemon AU fantasy, Asian style

Hmm. In such a story I would be very interested in why he became a ronin, why he would take it upon himself to stop this plot (righteousness? Pride? Boredom?). If he had a party, I would typically assume it's only one companion/familiar pokemon; that seems more fitting for the age and time. Maybe the occasional temporary partner, but nothing more permanent.

But yeah, his past. The whole wandering warrior/ronin kind of story often leans itself very much on the main character's past, usually with some defining moment or aspect to it that made him a ronin/wandering warrior, which often returns and may be oen of the driving interests the reader/viewer has in the character, maybe even the story (if you decide to make it very character-driven).

Not saying you'd have to take it down the typical route, but personally I find that it works very well.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Pokemon AU fantasy, Asian style

Right now, this is what I have planned for his backstory:

Growing up, he longed to be a great hero, and so when he was of age to choose a trade, he chose to study under a famed swordsman. He was a hardworking and reliable student, but after seeing an act of injustice (what this is, I will leave the readers to decide), it angers him that so many are oppressed. With his teacher's blessing, he takes Pikachu and goes out into the world, not knowing he is about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!