Planned... But stuggling to find the words

Thread: Planned... But stuggling to find the words

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

Default Planned... But stuggling to find the words

For a while now I've been sitting staring at my computer screen or pen, and paper pad but I just cannot find the words to flow through. It's the case for my pokemon fanfic (although luckily I have some chapters written in advanced) and also for my own original novel.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I may best go about trying to solve this? Is it a case of just writing words and beginning to let them flow or is there something else I can do?

I've written for my Pokemon fanfic 31 chapters, and for my original novel I'm in the 5th chapter but everything (or at least most of it is planned). I just thought I'd offer that to show that I have been able to write some things, and have just sort of hit a block.
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

Ms. Canadian Destroyer Caite-chan's Avatar
    Follow Caite-chan On Twitter

Default Re: Planned... But stuggling to find the words

I talk to my friends when I'm stuck and I don't mean the hey I'm stuck what do I do. We just talk about the subject and most of the time we get ideas that come to us. Another thing we do is role plays in chat if we're stuck on an idea and not sure how it will play out we'll do a little role play. We can usually get some really good ideas that way.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Well like Caite-Chan said you can always talk to others and ask for some advice on what to do if you're stuck. Something else you could do is just take a short break from it, try to focus on doing something else that you like and to entertain your mind more, that should get it running better and should start to give you some ideas.

Of course we all get stuck at some point, that's impossible for everyone and sometimes you might get stuck for a while but all you have to do is to try and do whatever you can to get past the block. I've seen you in serebbi and I've seen you here and I know that you can get over that block and write something amazing cause you're a real genius man : D no lie about that.

Blog Entries

If I'm doing a new chapter or whatever, or just pulling it up to start where I left off typing, but the words just aren't coming to me or everything I write doesn't seem to work, I go back and read what I've already written in previous chapters, etc. By the time I read up to where I was stuck, I'm in the zone with the flow of the story and I can almost hear what should be next in my head.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

Thanks everyone for the tips. I definitely like the idea of talking through the subjects and even the story with friemds in the hope it can spur more of a flow. Thanks for that Caite - Chan.

And Stellar Gale that was quite a reassurance thinking that actually everyone hits these blocks whether for a short term or long term. Thanks for your vote of confidence too! That means a lot.

NoirGrimoir that's a brilliant tip. I've never thought about doing that before as a way to get back into the flow of the story. I would normally read a sentence or paragraph before but taking the previous chapter is a brilliant idea. I look forward to trying that one out!!
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner