Pilot

Thread: Pilot

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pilot

Suppose you have an idea for a fic but aren't sure if it'll work and write a few chapters to start things off and see what others think. Sorta like with TV shows where a pilot is made before it's fully greenlit.

Have you ever tried this before? Are their any downsides to it?

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pilot

I've done this--sometimes people love the idea you're working with, and sometimes you get very little (or no) feedback and barely get past the first episode
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    I've done this--sometimes people love the idea you're working with, and sometimes you get very little (or no) feedback and barely get past the first episode
    My plan is to post eight chapters to really give readers an impression.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I think the biggest way is to just go all YOLO, like I said before matt0044. You can't get feedback unless you actually post your story, whatever way people react to it solely depends on it and how much someone might enjoy it. Criticism will happen, there will be negative and positive criticism. I trust the people in this community are, for the most part, nice enough to be respectful about their criticism and actions and review in good faith. Naturally, if one chapters isn't well-received you shouldn't be discouraged, take it as a challenge to truly work on aspects in the story you think need fine-tuning and touching up. Use that criticism to better your writing, people seem to forget that the point, the whole point, of getting a review is to take the criticism and improve from it. A review is useless if you don't actually take anything from it and look back and truly improve and wonder "Maybe this could be fixed? Maybe that could work better......" Good critic truly is hard to come by and if you get any that seems reliable, I'm not saying to fully adhere to it like the Bible, but take somethings from it you think could go better. You can't be so unnerved by whether or not a few people find it well-received or not. As for the main topic, no I've never tried this and I don't see any downfalls to it. But even if it isn't well-received, is that a cause for concern? Does that mean you will "pull the plug" on the story concept you've constructed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    I think the biggest way is to just go all YOLO, like I said before matt0044. You can't get feedback unless you actually post your story, whatever way people react to it solely depends on it and how much someone might enjoy it. Criticism will happen, there will be negative and positive criticism. I trust the people in this community are, for the most part, nice enough to be respectful about their criticism and actions and review in good faith. Naturally, if one chapters isn't well-received you shouldn't be discouraged, take it as a challenge to truly work on aspects in the story you think need fine-tuning and touching up. Use that criticism to better your writing, people seem to forget that the point, the whole point, of getting a review is to take the criticism and improve from it. A review is useless if you don't actually take anything from it and look back and truly improve and wonder "Maybe this could be fixed? Maybe that could work better......" Good critic truly is hard to come by and if you get any that seems reliable, I'm not saying to fully adhere to it like the Bible, but take somethings from it you think could go better. You can't be so unnerved by whether or not a few people find it well-received or not. As for the main topic, no I've never tried this and I don't see any downfalls to it. But even if it isn't well-received, is that a cause for concern? Does that mean you will "pull the plug" on the story concept you've constructed?
    Thanks though I guess I can't help but be nagged by my irrational fears. I'm not really the kind of guy to have a firm, unwavering view of this or that (unless I'm truly passionate about it) and I feel like the victim of a Hannibal Lecture sometimes. "What if my story really is crap and I'm just deluding myself?" I wonder. "What if there's no hope for me?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Thanks though I guess I can't help but be nagged by my irrational fears. I'm not really the kind of guy to have a firm, unwavering view of this or that (unless I'm truly passionate about it) and I feel like the victim of a Hannibal Lecture sometimes. "What if my story really is crap and I'm just deluding myself?" I wonder. "What if there's no hope for me?"
    Well, it's just somewhat frustrating you keep asking and asking and asking for help and asking about this and this but you're not actually posting anything for anyone to criticize. At the end of the day, it's your story and you make the choices. Criticism is just a tool in your choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Well, it's just somewhat frustrating you keep asking and asking and asking for help and asking about this and this but you're not actually posting anything for anyone to criticize. At the end of the day, it's your story and you make the choices. Criticism is just a tool in your choices.
    I know and I'm working on the finalized outline. Sadly, my nervousness slows me down.

And I'm sorry for being such a pain. I'm not always as confident as I try to be.

Plus, I can be as impatient as fuck in addition to being a perfectionist. So realizing I screwed up on this and/or that can piss me off. It's an experience I hate to go through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I know and I'm working on the finalized outline. Sadly, my nervousness slows me down.

And I'm sorry for being such a pain. I'm not always as confident as I try to be.

Plus, I can be as impatient as fuck in addition to being a perfectionist. So realizing I screwed up on this and/or that can piss me off. It's an experience I hate to go through.
    No need to feel like that. ^^;; For the most part everyone in this community post in good faith and most people that I run into don't have a holier-than-thou attitude or superiority complex, there are some very good members here and I know for a fact quite a few that wouldn't condone you for your story.(Even then that would be a dickish move.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

I love it; the concept of fanfic pilots. When I ran a small message board we had quarterly "Pilot seasons" to get members involved in fan fiction, which was a focal point of the site. The setup was simple; all the mods and admins would read EVERY story that debuted with "PILOT:" in the title. We all know that people who take part in fan fiction are looking for community, they hunger from knowing what others think about their additions to whatever universe they partook in. For some, it was a gateway into larger fiction, it gave them the confidence to move on and delve into writing, one even went on into professional journalism. Hell, I became a comic book author.

So, in short, I say experiment, post your stories see how they connect with an audience, find what makes you tick as an author, though. That's the most important aspect of pilots; finding what makes you. Don't worry about critics.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder to please stick on topic. Some of the posts have deviated a little. Thank you!
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner