Pacing of Evolution? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What's Your Rule of Thumb for Evolution Pacing?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Game Like: Pokemon Evolve Every X-Many Chapters

0 0%
  • Anime/Other Media Like: Pokemon Evolve When It Furthers the Story, No Earlier, No Later

8 88.89%
  • My Own Way: I'll Post and Explanation Below

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pacing of Evolution?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pacing of Evolution?

I just chalk it up to magic. :P

I mean, we've got (in some cases) tiny creatures able to SUMMON THE POWER OF GOD'S WRATH and whatnot...

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

No evo XDD I can't handle any changes, so I just don't evolve them, or choose pokemons with no evos feom the beginning. I want to learn a good way to show evolution, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    I just chalk it up to magic. :P

I mean, we've got (in some cases) tiny creatures able to SUMMON THE POWER OF GOD'S WRATH and whatnot...
    Better yet, just chalk it up to willing suspension of disbelief. Conservation of mass is one of the most frequent things that gets bent with willing suspension.

I haven't actually reached an evolution yet (nor have I posted a fic here, haha), but I like to do a mix--I want my pokemon to evolve when the time is right in the plot so there's an actual impact, but at the same time, I don't want the time for my character's, say, larvesta to evolve to be three badges into his journey when it shouldn't evolve until years of work and whatnot. I'm a sucker for anime-style evolutions, though, and mid-battle evolutions always seemed pretty epic to me. Even though it completely defies that laws of physics.

In a story I wrote for 2009 Nanowrimo, my two main characters were a Treecko (main) and a Shinx (second). The Shinx literally slept through his evolution into a Luxio about halfway through (the characters were running/travelling pretty much all day long, he was freakin' exhausted), and at some later (still unwritten) point he evolved into a Luxray. The Treecko evolved into a Grovyle at about the same time as the Shinx evolved hismelf, but he wouldn't evolve until later. He barely survived a battle against a Sceptile (his own mother, in fact -- and quite tragic), but it was hinted that at this point his body was already starting to evolve and he'd be a Sceptile soon.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Even though it completely defies that laws of physics.
    Um, this is Pokémon we're talking about here. There are no laws of physics. Otherwise, Poké Balls would blow up the planet in their attempts to convert Pokémon into energy. Really, the most "realistic" thing you can do in Pokémon is give characters deep personalities. And make the villains more competent.

So yeah, when it comes to evolution, I'll take the sci-fi/fantasy route all the way. Making it a constant maturation process just seems boring to me. No offense, Stratelier, just stating my opinion, which counts for very little in the scheme of things.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Um, this is Pokémon we're talking about here. There are no laws of physics. Otherwise, Poké Balls would blow up the planet in their attempts to convert Pokémon into energy. Really, the most "realistic" thing you can do in Pokémon is give characters deep personalities. And make the villains more competent.

So yeah, when it comes to evolution, I'll take the sci-fi/fantasy route all the way. Making it a constant maturation process just seems boring to me. No offense, Stratelier, just stating my opinion, which counts for very little in the scheme of things.
    Ah, touche. I suppose I can incorporate sci-fi/fantasy evolution with an easy heart now, then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post

Oh that's not entirely true. Pokemon has laws of physics, they just aren't entirely our laws of physics. And you can make the series more realistic beyond just personality depth. Personality depth isn't just realism, it's better and complex writing. For example, I used the basics of real world genetics to create my theory of Pokemon genomic imprinting. It works on a logical level. Some specific details of Pokemon Evolution genetics aren't really covered, like how a creature can have a gene that somehow allows it to rapidly change body shape and mass, but that's okay. Willing suspension covers that. Besides, rapid physical changes and sudden mass increase are done all the time in fiction. For example, the Lizard in Spider-man.

To take another look at the balance of realism in fantastical settings, consider the whole evolutionary stone concept. Some Pokemon species are exposed to radiation from this one substance and react violently to it, aka evolving right then and there. Is that realistic? To some degree, yes. Species do react to radiation exposure. Compare it to how kryptonite works for Superman.

With Superman, he gets exposed to these radioactive rocks and he gets sick. Is that realistic? Yes and no. Is it realistic to believe that a radioactive substance makes someone sick. Yes. Radiation poisoning is a real thing on Earth. What about how kryptonite is blocked by lead? That is realistic too. After all, lead blocks radiation from normal elements, so why not have it block radiation from weird, alien ones too?

Then there is the idea of how kryptonite radiation can hurt people, but only if they get exposed by a massive dose all at once, or mild exposure over very long periods. That second option is how Lex Luthor got cancer. Is that realistic? Yes. Some types of radiation, the lower level ones (discounting microwaves because of how they specifically vibrate water molecules) would need a long time of exposure to produce the damage of other bands.

The unrealistic part is how Superman gets so very sick, so very, very fast. It's an instant and often violent reaction, depending on how much of the stuff there is. The official explanation in universe is that his species more easily absorbs and reacts to the specific wavelengths of radiation given off by those alien elements. It's not a totally perfect theory from a real world perspective, but it's something, and the real reason the stuff works so fast is that the writer does not have time to show that kind of slow breakdown. It would hurt the story. So the poisoning rate is put in high gear.

Now look at Pokemon. When you give the right Pokemon the right stone, they will instantly evolve. It is a physical reaction to a radioactive rock as quick and as dramatic as Superman. Again, real radiation poisoning, or rather, the reaction to radiation exposure, is not usually that fast, unless it is very dangerous to everything. And yet evolutionary stones don't cause serious harm or any kind of changes to other creatures. So why is that? You can use the same explanation in universe, that the particular radiation given off is absorbed easier by particular species. And on the other end, like Superman, the franchise can't spend a long time on this stuff.

This also means that it is possible for people or Pokemon to get sick if they are exposed to evolutionary stones over long periods.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

There is just one thing I always don't understand about the thinking logic of many fanfic author of the Pokemon fandom: Why everyone trying to interpret the Pokemon using the law of physic of our real world, but not make up a law of physic that will make sense specifically for the Pokemon world?

After all, Pokemon is a fantasy world different from our world in many sense. Although there exist technologies just like ours, but that doesn't mean they use the same law of physics as ours. Also, modern technology can cope with magic also, a world with modern technology can also be a world of magic. Look at the world of Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII and XIII. Their mechanical technology are so advanced that is just like what we could imagine for sci-fi fictions, but yet people use magics and other kinds of power that exist in fantasy fictions.

I have my own theory regarding on Pokemon evolution in Pokemon world, where in the Pokemon world, there exist a specific kind of energy which is everywhere like air (put it in this way, the Mana in Tales of Symphonia). Only the body of Pokemon will absorb and react to this energy, and only Pokemon can utilize this energy during their evolution. All the evolution inducing items are highly concentrated in the said energy, after it had cause a Pokemon to evolve, its energy will be lose and the item is no longer useful. Actually this theory also make some sense regarding on evolution that is regional-specific, such as Nosepass->Probopass and Magneton->Magnezone in Mt. Coronet, provided that the energy density in that region is different to other places. And it also plausible as in DPPt games, Prof. Rowan had said that during evolution of Pokemon, they release some kind of unknown energy.

In order to write creative fictions, you are not there just to interpret something using already-built theories in creative manners, but also to create new theories if the already-built theories don't give sufficient explanation or giving contradiction. Don't bind your imagination to the norm of our world, expand your imagination to the norm of the other fantasy world as well.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

Very true. Usually when you write a fictional world, the presumption is that everything about fictional world A is the same as the real world (in the way of history, science, culture, etc) unless you specifically state otherwise. So there's no real problem with using real world science, but with something like this I think you need to know where to give and take if you apply real world science. And just because you make a few changes to how physics works (good changes mind you) doesn't mean you have to rewrite all the laws of physics. That's too much. I mean if I make changes to the laws of chemistry or say an alien universe may have different chemical laws, I'm going to leave it mostly at that. Despite the fact that there are chemists in my family, and I was good at it, I'm not going to rebuild the entire thing from the ground up. It's way more than I need.

Okay, so Tolkien wrote several fully functional languages for his work. But he was a linguist, and he also probably found that fun as well.

I'd be perfectly fine (currently I'm reluctantly fine, so lol) with evolution, but I wish there'd be a canon explanation for it beyond "a Pokemon did it." Most universes with magic at least give a cursory explanation for its existence/basic mechanics (except LotR, but there's probably something buried in his massive world building that I missed). Again, wishful thinking, but even a cursory mention by canon would be nice. XD

Blog Entries

(except LotR, but there's probably something buried in his massive world building that I missed)
    No, you're right. If you're interested, Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories" explains why the magic isn't explained (The short explanation is "Explaining magic makes it mundane")

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Perhaps it's something to do with Aura? The anime does make it sound like an analogue to the Force.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Registered User TheBlackDuelist's Avatar

It all depends on what YOU as a writer want. You can either go by the game approach, where each Pokemon needs a different amount of experience to involve. (Like Deino for example, that guy needs how long to evolve level 63? WTF?). Athough if you do it this way, it will be one hell of a journey/trainer fic to write as you wont be able to evolve until late into the story.

Or you can go by the anime logic and have them evolve when they need to evolve. Like Ash's starly evolved when it needed the power to save it's bird friends, while his Chimchar evolved when it had gained control of itself when it went into a fury of Blaze and then by controlling that explosive power, it gained the strength it wanted but in a more compressed way (Evolution). It all depends on what you want to read/write about.

Personally, the way the anime does it is the best way to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12