Out-of-region Pokemon

Thread: Out-of-region Pokemon

Bad at summoning people FlyingKitty's Avatar

Default Out-of-region Pokemon

*hugs you all while confetti falls from the ceiling because this is my very first thread and also my 60th post* <3

What are your opinions on new or averagely skilled Trainers in fanfics having Pokemon that aren't native to the region the story is set in? For example, I just began working on a new fic and an Emolga would be the perfect starter for my protag's friend, although the fic is set in Hoenn where Emolgas are unavailable in-game.

I'm thinking of having the character receive the Emolga as a gift from a friend who received it through a trade, which seems like an okay solution to me, however I'm still somewhat afraid of readers thinking of the Emolga as unrealistic somehow because it isn't native to Hoenn and isn't a typical starter Pokemon. I'm just worried about not being taken seriously because of it.

I know there's many characters you battle in the games that have "out-of-region" Pokemon on their teams, but I've just never seen it done in fanfics unless it's a really bad fanfic where the protag has 1,000 shiny Pokemon and legendary Pokemon for no good reason and all that stuff. Granted, I haven't read many fanfics because it's difficult to find good ones and I'm lazy, but... that's not the point. xD

Anyways, I would be super happy if you all could tell me what you think, please! <3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Out-of-region Pokemon

If it makes sense in context, go for it.

Hell, I once decided Combee live in Kanto. It just makes more sense to me that bees wouldn't JUST live in the icy northern region in immensely hostile condition for such fragile insects.

Blog Entries

Why not just say Emolga was a gift from an aunt or uncle working across the sea? Simple, vague so you can later say it wasn't from Unova if you want at some point, but a reasonable explanation as to why they got one, especially with the GTS available to the public.

I don't read fan-fiction off of this site, so I don't know if certain communities feel a certain way about it, but I don't think there are any issues at all with having a foreign Pokemon on a character's team. In fact, I think most stories in the Fairground involve Pokemon that aren't native to whatever region.

Unless it bothers you personally, I don't see a problem with it. Heck, the story I'm currently writing takes place in Orre, where there's only 9 wild Pokemon. I have to add foreign Pokemon in my story unless I want there to be a drastic overuse of the same Pokemon. ^^ But yeah, I don't think anyone would find it "unrealistic" in the slightest. Unless you were following the game's cannon extremely close (which even then is just a personal choice), I think it's a fine idea.

snorlax | rest | dark aura | stick | tea | one-shot | poetry

Less cute in person Beth Pavell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When it comes to relatively common foreign pokémon, I don't think it's much of a stretch for the protagonist to have received one as a gift
    The Long Walk
    For Joshua Cook, it's a long walk away from his dull life to the Pokémon League. But does he really want to be the very best? A coming-of-age story of adventure, friendship and growing up in the world of Pokémon.

Pavell's Scribbledegook Week XXVI - The Contentious Subject of Women

In the story I'm working on, three young trainers who start off the usual journey in Kanto (none of whom are the central protagonist, btw) receive Kalos starters instead of Kanto ones. It's implied to be a kind of Professorial cross-regional exchange program, inspired in part by Sycamore in X/Y giving the protagonist their choice of a Kanto starter.

Especially with how the PC system works, mons from anywhere can end up anywhere else. So the only real believability issue may be with wild mons, or large populations of them. Even so, Pokemon media will often refer to an out-of-region mon as "rare" in the region, not outright absent.

I don't see why out-of-region pokemon would be a problem. I imagine a few odd readers might get too fussy about game canon and that, but really, I don't see anything wrong with it. And also it'll give you more originality and make it more interesting for picking pokemon other than the ones generally associated with a particular region. So I think you should just go for it.
    Signed, Lord Kyuubi

There's also Wonder Trade if you want to include it in your story.

Chapter 1: The Frigid City

An old friend of Alex's shows up while he's trying to sort out with his father what to do about his newest friend and helps come out with a solution. Afterwards, Alex and him make a little tour around Icirrus City in order to show the Golurk how human society works and end up meeting with more friends, but what is the Golurk thinking through the whole experience?

Tbh, I really don't think it strictly matters -- a lot of things in fanfiction that most people take for granted (ie having a Pokemon with a personality, dodging, strategy, multiple attacks at once) aren't in the games either, so it's okay for a little leeway if it's logical.

For instance, while researching for srbs, I discovered that Caterpie aren't actually native to the first route outside of New Bark Town, which makes little sense because they're literally available two squares over -- as if there's somehow a magical line that divides the two areas in half or something, idk. I think the reverse was true for sentret. I ended up ignoring all of that for plot (and then re-incorporating it into later things shhhh spoilers!), but I think you could probably extend it -- for instance, maybe flocks of Emolga migrated to a Power Plant or something (although it's probably more of a stretch to have inter-region stuff, like you've mentioned).

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the gift thing would work so long as you don't exaggerate the execution and have it be a gift to your protagonist because they're special mcspecialson who's being gifted/traded seven Eevee and a Latias because logic, lol.

Well, seeing as most flying types are flight-capable birds, and there are quite a few water types that live in the sea, it would be reasonable for groups of those Pokemon from another region to appear in whatever region your fic takes place in by having the scene(s) they appear in take place during that part of their migratory cycle. You know, a flock of Starly in Kanto Route 2, Wailmer in one of Johto's sea routes, stuff like that. For other Pokemon, the rest of this thread has some pretty solid advice.
    3DS FC: 4613-7040-4375 Michael

My new favorite quote, courtesy of Cell in Dragon Ball Z Abridged episode 43: "Wanna see me drink this guy?!"

Bad at summoning people FlyingKitty's Avatar

Wow, thanks so much for all the great responses guys! You're all so creative and I just love the ideas you've suggested. I really appreciate the help! <3

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

In my imagined Pokeworld, Pokemon are generally spread out across the regions, so Pikachus in Unova are not unheard of.

That said, the Legendaries tend to hang around their traditional homes (but then again, Legendaries in my Pokeworld are seen as gods or supernatural helpers
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Why not? I mean, they could have traded for them or been given one as a gift.

My only stipulation is that the out of region pokemon be appropriate for the trainer's level. A midlevel Hoennese trainer with a Venusaur, okay. A midlevel Hoennese trainer with Zapdos? No.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion